PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Audio...

Inf1n1tyComplex
12-21-06, 08:59 PM
I happen to have 3 x Sony MHC-GN100D with the optional sub woofer lying around, a Logitech Z-5300e and a logitch z-5500-digital. I was wondering which one would be better to hook up to my pc... And in what order would these be rated from best to worst so i know whether to shove all 3 Sony MHC-GN100D on mine my sister and dads computer and shove the logitch z-5500-digital on my brothers if the logitch z-5500-digital is worse then or equal to the MHC-GN100D or place the logitch z-5500-digital on mine and shove the logitch z-5500-digital on mine and the MHC-GNU100D on my sisters, dads and brothers computers... And the Logitech Z-5300e on my server just for the hell of it... etc... Any advice will help seeing as i know nothing about audio, thanks in advance for your advice.

MHC-GN100D:-
7800W PMPO
3 DVD / VCD / CD Changer with MP3 Playback
Double Tape Deck
Dolby Digital / Dolby Prologic II / DTS Decoding
Air In Take
Horn Tweeter
Power Illuminator
Optional Sub Woofer – SA-GN10
TUNER
FM20 / MW10 Preset
DVD PLAYER
3 DVD / VCD / CD Changer
MP3 Playback
CD-R / CD-RW Playback Compatible
Progressive Scan (NTSC)
CASSETTE DECK
Dual Full Logic
Double Auto Reverse
Best price at welectronics.com
CD Syncro Recording
SPEAKERS
Front: 3 Way, 20cm Woofer x 1 + 8cm H.O.P. Woofer x 1 + Horn Tweeter
Centre: 8cm x 2
Rear: 13cm + 2.5cm
REMOTE CONTROL
Supplied
OPTIONAL SUB WOOFER
SA-GN10 (20 cm 2200W PMPO 200W RMS)
SA-GN10 Specifications:
System: 1 way
Speaker Unit: 20cm x 1
AV Shield
Size: 265 x 430 x 400 cms
Weight: 13.8 Kgs
AMPLIFIER
Power Output : 7800W PMPO (235W x 2 + 80W x 3 RMS)
Function : DVD, Tuner, Tape A/B, Game, Video (SAT)
Input
: Analog x 2
: Video x 1
: Microphone x 1
Output
: Analog x 1
: Video x 1
: Headphone Output (3.5mm) x 1
Others
: DTS
: Dolby Digital
: Dolby ProLogic / Dolby ProLogic II
: Karaoke (Echo / Karaoke PON / Key Control)
: ‘Groove’ & ‘V-Groove’ Bass Enhancement
: Surround Effect
: GameSync Mixing
: VACS
: Preset Equalizer
: 3 Band Graphic Equalizer

john19055
12-22-06, 12:04 AM
I would just use the Logitech 5500z-digital and forget the rest unless you are talking about useing a larger subwoofer in place of the one you have with the 5500z ,but it puts out quit a bit of bass.

CaptNKILL
12-22-06, 04:35 AM
It depends what kind of sound card you have and what kind of connections the Sony system has.

If you can connect analog 5.1 connections to it (RCA jacks) then you can probably use it just fine on a PC. And judging by the price and the power output, its probably beefier than the z5500s. If it doesnt have analog 5.1 inputs though, you'll need a DDL capable sound card like the X-Plosion or X-Meridian to get surround sound out of it.

I haven't heard the system though so I can't really recommend that you buy a $100 sound card just to use it. So in this case, unless you know the Sony system sounds a lot better (to you), just use the Z5500s. They're meant for a PC and will be far easier to set up regardless of how you do it... not to mention the speakers and control dock take up very little space.

Inf1n1tyComplex
12-24-06, 05:43 PM
It depends what kind of sound card you have and what kind of connections the Sony system has.

If you can connect analog 5.1 connections to it (RCA jacks) then you can probably use it just fine on a PC. And judging by the price and the power output, its probably beefier than the z5500s. If it doesnt have analog 5.1 inputs though, you'll need a DDL capable sound card like the X-Plosion or X-Meridian to get surround sound out of it.

I haven't heard the system though so I can't really recommend that you buy a $100 sound card just to use it. So in this case, unless you know the Sony system sounds a lot better (to you), just use the Z5500s. They're meant for a PC and will be far easier to set up regardless of how you do it... not to mention the speakers and control dock take up very little space.
It doesn't seem to have analog 5.1 connections... Sadly enough my father badly wants it on his computer so I had to order a Home Theater Connect DTS-610 to turn the analog 5.1 signal into a high-quality DTS signal. Hopefully it arrives soon... I'll see if it works better then my logitch z-5500-digital if so i will oirder one myself...