PDA

View Full Version : help with high cpu usage :(

firehawk
12-22-06, 03:02 AM
athlon 64 4800 dual core,

i have been having this issue for awhile now it comes and goes as it wants, or so it seems. iam getting my "system" usage stuck at 25% on both cores and it will not go down from there. it causes my cpu to constantly run at 50%

i have done every sort of virus scan imaginable, disabled every service possible, reinstalled windows dll's and just plain tried everything.

iam at a loss as to what this can be:(

firehawk
12-22-06, 03:57 AM
I THINK I GOT IT!!!

frigging firefox was the problem. i had to uninstall it completley and poof no more "system" stuck at 50%

i got so fed up that i decided screw it, and went through and started to unistall all progs one by one while watching my cpu usage. as soon as i unistaled firefox my system was normal again.

EDIT:

it's back to 50%

iam about ready to throw my pc onto the floor and stomp it into my neighbors ceiling fan

Dazz
12-22-06, 02:21 PM
Back in the days when i worked for BT we had a lot of customers that had these issues and was located in task manager. However at the time they single core CPU's so used 100% making their PC slow so we got blamed for it. It was firefox with them also. It's not really 50% task manager will show that however it's really 100% on the first core. Some processes crash or conflict.

firehawk
12-22-06, 05:38 PM
ok,abit of an update:

i have gone through and uninstalled everything on my pc, everything!
i have gone through and reinstalled progs on by one in order to see if it was indeed a prog causeing it.
i currently have everything reinstalled except panda 2007 antivirus. i have been at normal cpu usage for a good hour now. i still have yet to open and try firefox though.

the problems i was getting would be not able to connect to server error's with firefox while my cpu was being hogged, that and really slow performence.(of course)

the cpu process being hogged was my "system" resources. everything else was fine.

Edit:

IT'S BACK AGAIN.

iam getting really worried now.

it's fine from a fresh cold boot and then after about and hour and a half it shoots up to 50% again.

WAIT, just as i typed this it has gone back down to 0% again.

2 MINUTES LATER: back up into the 50% :(

Q
12-22-06, 05:55 PM
Google information about Verclsid.exe causing problems like yours.

Also, apply these fixes.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82783

I was as frustrated as you because of mystery slow downs. The fixes did the most for me, but also make sure to research the problem with the file listed above if you're still having issues.

firehawk
12-22-06, 06:09 PM
Google information about Verclsid.exe causing problems like yours.

Also, apply these fixes.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82783

I was as frustrated as you because of mystery slow downs. The fixes did the most for me, but also make sure to research the problem with the file listed above if you're still having issues.

those entries are already in my regisrty. and i have also apllied the new hotfix's.

it's still doing it

firehawk
12-23-06, 07:06 PM
i just did a complete reformat\reinstall.

it's still doing it. both cores are running at 50% and dont go down from there. task manager says that sytem is taking 32% 0f cpu usage.

i give up. i think iam done with asus and amd for awhile, i've had nothing but problems with there hardware for the last couple of years.(xmassign)

hirantha
12-23-06, 07:31 PM
i just did a complete reformat\reinstall.

it's still doing it. both cores are running at 50% and dont go down from there. task manager says that sytem is taking 32% 0f cpu usage.

i give up. i think iam done with asus and amd for awhile, i've had nothing but problems with there hardware for the last couple of years.(xmassign)

wow this is the first time i heard an issue like yours wasn’t resolved after a reinstall of operating system..

Did you try defaulting your BIOS back to factory settings?

Sorry to hear about your issue.. Its a pain to go through something like this specially this time around.. Hope you find a solution.

firehawk
12-23-06, 08:46 PM
wow this is the first time i heard an issue like yours wasn’t resolved after a reinstall of operating system..

Did you try defaulting your BIOS back to factory settings?

Sorry to hear about your issue.. Its a pain to go through something like this specially this time around.. Hope you find a solution.

I THINK I GOT IT! (for real this time :))

i turned my fans down with my case fan controller and noticed the side fan light was fulxing at low speed like it was having trouble with keeping consistant power.

i kept he speed down to the lowest for awhile, after about 5 minutes i seen my task manager was back at 0%!
and my pc was then smoking fast to repond to everything

so i turned the fans up and about 5 minutes later 50% again! and slow as hell

i've been repeating this process for the last 25 minutes now and can repeat it over and over, so it's definatley a power issue.

i just gotta figure out if its my psu (pc power and cool 500watt turbo cool), my case fan controller,my mobo, my ups or my power outlets. gawd

i do have a pc power and cool 1k sitting here but i was waiting on a new case before i stuck it in. maybe iam just streching the 12volts. i have 3 hdd's and 6 case fans all running off of the molex's. i definatley have to do something quick, my pc is going to overheat at this low of a fan speed

iam so frigging happy that i finnaly got this issuse figured out. my pc was just about to get curb stomped to pc heaven.

3 months of hell ended