PDA

View Full Version : My drivers seem axed and reinstalling drivers do not work

JemyM
12-22-06, 10:11 AM
SOLVED!

See post further down.

-----

Ever since I swapped from 2x7900gtx (93.71) to 2x8800gtx (97.44) I have had weird problems.

Problems I run into so far include:
1. nHancer claims I need 6x.xx or later drivers to use it.
2. An old game complains that I do not have Direct Draw (worked fine on my 7900gtx).
3. A newer game now crash right after I started it.
4. When I browse around in windows explorer suddenly stop responding, a few seconds later the mousepointer freeze and I hear a loud pc-speaker beep forcing me to restart the whole computer.

Some games work perfectly. I played through Sam & Max Episode 1 without any glitches and Rainbow 6 Vegas works great.

I have tried to reinstall both the international and english 97.44 drivers with the same result.

The cards are Point of View.

Im completely out of clues.

fatal1ty
12-22-06, 10:28 AM
you might wanna start with a fresh installation of XP.

JemyM
12-22-06, 03:49 PM
Reinstalling Windows XP is ofcourse the final solution to everything but I would still like to get past the issue if a reinstall can be avoided.

After this post I have done some research.

First of all, this is the "DirectDraw Acceleration: Not Available" problem.

http://jemym.no-ip.com/dxdiagdirectdraw.jpg

I have deinstalled DirectX with the help of "DirectX Happy Uninstall" and reinstalled v9.0c. I have deinstalled the NVidia Forceware drivers with the help of Nasty File Remover and installed 97.44 again. I have also tried to go down to an earlier driver then back to 97.44.

I then upgraded my motherboard drivers (ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe) to the latest.

The solutions on Microsofts website have not helped.

Quick420
12-22-06, 04:13 PM
All the time you waste trying to fix a problem as abscure as this,you could have backed-up,formatted,re-installed and been good to go.I did this without hesitation when I purchased my 7900gt...not a problem:captnkill:

JemyM
12-22-06, 04:56 PM
It takes me half a week to get all my old programs to work as intended. Not something I do lightly, especially not right before christmas. Besides, if you do that everytime something breaks you never learn anything.

JemyM
12-22-06, 06:47 PM
I fought and I conquered. And it was a longshot.

The bandit: UltraVNC

How I managed to replace nv4_disp with vncdsp is to complex to even try to explain, im not even sure of it myself.

It took a friendly "testversion" of nHancer to find out the issue.

fatal1ty
12-22-06, 09:32 PM
It takes me half a week to get all my old programs to work as intended. Not something I do lightly, especially not right before christmas. Besides, if you do that everytime something breaks you never learn anything.

Sounds like you need some practice reinstalling anyways lol. Takes me about an hour start to finish.

ErrorS
12-23-06, 02:39 AM
and what would have happened if he reinstalled and reinstalled, then installed UltraVNC again? problem would still be there. Most of us, especially those of us that do this for a living, learned format's/reinstalls are for people who don't want to gain any experience in troubleshooting. WHen you're doing this for a living or simply when you have too much to back up, you can't format every time you screw up a driver install.

Personally I've never, ever had a problem I couldn't fix without a reinstall. Many that cause others to reinstall take me 15 seconds to fix now.. and I love you idiots who want to format every person's PC you look at and then they bring it to me asking where all their pictures are.. thanks much for that.

"I can't find my taskbar, it disapeared." "Ok, i need to do af ormat and reinstall and it will be $80 an hour at 3 hours work"

"I downloaded a virus" "Format and reinstall!"

"I botched a driver install!" "FORMAT!"

"It's Tuesday..." "FORMAT!!!!!!!!1"

JemyM
12-23-06, 04:25 AM
Sounds like you need some practice reinstalling anyways lol. Takes me about an hour start to finish.

Then you do not use any programs and few games that do not need reinstall.

JemyM
12-23-06, 04:27 AM
and what would have happened if he reinstalled and reinstalled, then installed UltraVNC again? problem would still be there. Most of us, especially those of us that do this for a living, learned format's/reinstalls are for people who don't want to gain any experience in troubleshooting. WHen you're doing this for a living or simply when you have too much to back up, you can't format every time you screw up a driver install.

Personally I've never, ever had a problem I couldn't fix without a reinstall. Many that cause others to reinstall take me 15 seconds to fix now.. and I love you idiots who want to format every person's PC you look at and then they bring it to me asking where all their pictures are.. thanks much for that.

"I can't find my taskbar, it disapeared." "Ok, i need to do af ormat and reinstall and it will be $80 an hour at 3 hours work"

True. This time I did not only learn about UltraVNC but also alot about how DirectX is put together, how graphicdrivers work etc. Next time it happens even with other programs I will be able to fix it within minutes.

fatal1ty
12-23-06, 06:48 AM
Then you do not use any programs and few games that do not need reinstall.

yea, ok. try having all your apps on an external usb hd. makes it easy to reinstall all my apps. i store all my game patches there as well... :P

JemyM
12-23-06, 08:07 AM
yea, ok. try having all your apps on an external usb hd. makes it easy to reinstall all my apps. i store all my game patches there as well... :P

I actually do have a whole partition set up with installers for all the programs I use. Well sorted as well.
The great hassle comes with custom settings that are not often transferred from one install to another without at least some loss. This includes stuff like ftp serverlists (ftpclient), Messenger account with favorite smileys, bluetooth configs, pocketpc profile, mail sorting settings, gamesaves/gamesettings that are not stored in the gamefolder, nvidia profiles, custom RAID drivers for the motherboard, ICQ etc.

Despite it's name, I hate programs that store settings in C:\Documents and Settings.

namuk
12-24-06, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=ErrorS]and what would have happened if he reinstalled and reinstalled, then installed UltraVNC again? problem would still be there. Most of us, especially those of us that do this for a living, learned format's/reinstalls are for people who don't want to gain any experience in troubleshooting. WHen you're doing this for a living or simply when you have too much to back up, you can't format every time you screw up a driver install.

pms (mikec)