PDA

View Full Version : Win2003 Server drivers for Vista?

aydc
12-22-06, 10:16 AM
I've been thinking, maybe the reason why XP drivers are so incompatible with Vista is that Vista is based on Win2003 Server, not XP.

Maybe 2003 drivers will work a lot better under Vista. However, I'm not crazy enough to try. Has anyone tried that?

DarkJedi664
12-22-06, 10:17 AM
They're the same drivers, it's going to crash when you do anything 3D.

sotti
12-22-06, 05:23 PM
I've been thinking, maybe the reason why XP drivers are so incompatible with Vista is that Vista is based on Win2003 Server, not XP.

Maybe 2003 drivers will work a lot better under Vista. However, I'm not crazy enough to try. Has anyone tried that?

No, they rewrote the entire display driver model for vista.

windows 2000, XP and 2003 all use the same model, which was different from win 9X, now vista uses a new driver model for video cards.

Peripherals will work, since things like keyboards, mice, web cams, all essentially use the same model as win2K3 wich was the same as XP.

Q
12-22-06, 05:27 PM
Yep. Video driver was one of the things they changed. I just forced two year old XP drivers for a POS TV Tuner/MPEG 2 Encoder and they worked fine on Vista. Forcing video = BSOD on Boot in some cases, other times just when starting anything 3d.

garikfox
12-22-06, 10:59 PM
Wee little 8800 users have too adjust...
(smoke yer Hydro now if ya got em., lol)

aydc
12-23-06, 03:25 AM
There are people reporting that 81 series XP drivers work fantastically under vista. If the driver model was so different, those drivers wouldn't work. Since they don't support my 7900GS I can't try them.

On nvidia page, there are separate drivers for win2003 x64. If someone tried them for Vista x64, please let us now.

Trizae
12-26-06, 02:40 PM
I concur i'm using Xtreme-G 81.97 drivers for vista and I'm actually getting better performance from games on later drivers in XP! really looking forward to when they have 'proper' Vista drivers with 2d acceleration and better video acceleration similar to this, if this is an indication of its performance we're in for a treat indeed! :) only bad thing is lack of aero when you're doing this but after awhile the end justifies the means

aydc
12-27-06, 01:26 AM
Is there any way to make 81.97s compatible with 79xx series cards? I've tried them but they don't recognize my 7900 GS. I've modified the inf and installed, but then Vista doesn't even boot.

n4cer
12-30-06, 01:39 PM
There are people reporting that 81 series XP drivers work fantastically under vista. If the driver model was so different, those drivers wouldn't work.

XP drivers work on Vista because Vista still supports the XP display driver model in addition to the new driver model. However, this support is for legacy compatibility only. You can use XPDDM drivers but the available capabilities under that model are limited to that of Windows XP. You won't be able to take advantage of things like DWM and Cleartype acceleration, DX 10, GPU scheduling, resource sharing, and virtual memory, and will take a perf hit on WPF applications or anything that demands simultaneous rendering of accelerated content from multiple sources.

For gaming performance, XPDDM may be the way to go in the short term until NVIDIA gets better drivers out, but the model is deprecated