PDA

View Full Version : P23 BIOS FOR EVGA 680I released!!!

Pages : [1] 2

RussianHAXOR
12-22-06, 01:35 PM
Driver location...

http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/default.asp?switch=2&category=mb&subcat=11&os=nf68

Instructions on how to update them...

http://evga.com/support/680i/680i_instructions.asp

Release Notes...

Notes :

The following was updated in release P23:

* Fix for SATA disk drives
* Improvements to memory stability and overclockability
* Disabled spread spectrum tables for improved overclockability
* Improve POST screen CPU speed reporting

Also includes these updates from bios' P20 and P21:

* Improves X-Fi and internal audio functionality
* WHQL Certified BIOS
* Improvements to overclocking
* Enhancements for Quad-Core CPUs
* Adds ability to enable splash screen

RussianHAXOR
12-22-06, 01:39 PM
Note, This is NOT a BETA.

nippyjun
12-22-06, 01:55 PM
I have 2 questions:

1) There seems to be a "hotifx" as well as a final P23 bios. Are these the same thing or 2 separate fixes?

And...

2) In the instructions for the floppy and NV system update tool for this new bios is does not mention clearing the CMOS. Has the need for this step been eliminated?

Here are the instructions from the evga web site:

"INSTRUCTIONS: Mainboard BIOS updates can be accomplished through the following.

* FLOPPY (Floppy Disk and Disk Drive Required)
o Download the following executable: NF68_P23.exe
o Insert blank floppy disk into drive and run executable
o Restart machine, and set floppy as the primary boot device
o After flash, power off PC completely, on reboot load defaults in BIOS
* NVIDIA System Update Tool
o Download the following executables: updatecenter.exe and NF68P23.bin
o Select browse and locate NF68P23.bin
o Select load bios
o Power off PC completely, on reboot load defaults in BIOS"

Single Player
12-22-06, 02:03 PM
nice!

RussianHAXOR
12-22-06, 02:03 PM
I am currently making sure that there is no necesity to clear the CMOS and i will also check regarding the hotfix AND the Bios.

RussianHAXOR
12-22-06, 02:06 PM
OK, heres the deal. You can use the update tool or you can use the FLOPPY tool, each one has a different set of instructions. Im still waiting on the hotfix thing.

NSTRUCTIONS: Mainboard BIOS updates can be accomplished through the following.

o Select load bios
o Power off PC completely, on reboot load defaults in BIOS

nippyjun
12-22-06, 02:11 PM
OK, heres the deal. You can use the update tool or you can use the FLOPPY tool, each one has a different set of instructions. Im still waiting on the hotfix thing.

NSTRUCTIONS: Mainboard BIOS updates can be accomplished through the following.

o Select load bios
o Power off PC completely, on reboot load defaults in BIOS

These 2 methods are just to update the bios. But neither mention the clear cmos step (Thanks for checking into that for us).

For the beta bios updates the floppy method said to clear the cmos the Nvidia system update tool did not say to clear it.

As for the hotfix, on the evga site it seems as if it's just the bios update given in a different method, but please do check for us.

RussianHAXOR
12-22-06, 02:12 PM
THE HOTFIX IS THE NEW BIOS

nippyjun
12-22-06, 02:26 PM
THE HOTFIX IS THE NEW BIOS

Thanks.

Any word on clearing cmos, not that it's a big deal to have to clear it, but if it's not needed then why bother.

RussianHAXOR
12-22-06, 02:30 PM
The hotfix is a patch that runs in windows to make sure the BIOS is flashed correctly

Get it here...

http://evga.com/support/680i/

So in essence the hotfix checks if you need the p23 final bios

LORD-eX-Bu
12-22-06, 10:31 PM
I used the update tool instead of the floppy method because I don't own a floppy drive anymore:lol:

worked great... everything is running perfect, couldn't be more satisfied:D

vandalous
12-24-06, 01:35 AM
I had to clear CMOS to clear a funky problem where the BIOS would hang if I tried to modify memory bus speed from Auto. After clearing CMOS all was well.

john19055
12-24-06, 11:35 AM
I am still haveing problem with the new P23 bios ,my memory will not run as tight of timeing as it would before with the P21 bios ,I was not haveing no SATA errors with the P21 bios but I was running my memory at 800mhz and the SATA errors did'nt seem to be a problem unless you are running your memory above 1000mhz and I am getting random blue screens now and that never happen before. So I think I will go back to the P21 bios.

ZEROCOOL101
12-24-06, 01:38 PM
Same here, the new P23 bios still didnt fix my raid 0 corruption. I hope this gets fixed soon :(

john19055
12-24-06, 04:51 PM
I have to take back what I said I had the Beta P23 bios ,I did'nt know they had released a final Bios ,After I loaded the Final P23 Bios everthing seem to work fine so far ,I get no errors when running high memory ,I ran mine at 1200 5-5-5-15-2T for a while and ran a few benchmarks and played a few games and so far i have not got no SATA erorrs and I can run my memory at 800mhz 4-3-3-9-2t again ,so far they seem like a keeper.

ZEROCOOL101
12-24-06, 09:55 PM
I am still having issues. Ever since getting the raid corruption earlier today and cant even reinstall windows. It gives me an BSOD error when it reboots to install the 30 minutes of xp files :( This mobo worked fine at 800mhz before this bios. Now with this bios my evga 680i went to crap :( Anyone knowing if i did somethng wrong or if its an easy fix please aim me at Atarikid4000. I have been trying to reslove this issue all day and I am getting no where and getting pretty P*****

RussianHAXOR
12-25-06, 01:24 AM
Have you tried to do this bios flash before a new build or on an existing computer? And what method did you use?

(xmassign)

ZEROCOOL101
12-25-06, 10:47 AM
I used the method in windows and it finished 100% and completely, then it restarted. But, I still got hard drive corruption and now it wont even detect my 2 raptor X's. Now I guess I will have to RMA the hdds and Mobo. What a great xmas (mikec)

rombat
12-26-06, 09:11 AM
Hey Zero, try flashing the bios again and this time use the floppy+dos method, when you do flash it make sure you turn off the computer and put the jumper on reset on your motherboard, than wait a couple of minutes than put the jumper back to normal. When the computer boots up go into bios and load default settings and save. When it boots up again go into bios and change your settings, than try reloading your OS, good luck!

Absolution
12-27-06, 01:45 AM
my new setup was very unstable until i reset the loaded the default CMOS

my timings didnt work well at all, anything @ 1T would bsod after a minute or at boot and anything at the rated timings would also bsod (running 5-5-5-15 now...)

RussianHAXOR
12-27-06, 02:01 AM
So u used the P23?

K1ngK1llAll
12-27-06, 02:20 AM
Personally; I would be a little cautious of the Bios P23. I have been hearing and reading in forums some major horror stories about how it is affecting peoples ram (namely in second blue slot for an unknown reason). Even frying it for some reason!! (A few days after the update).........Could just be inexperienced users working with this, but I thought I'd put the word out there. If anyone is having Good Results or Bad Results with the P23 Please reply and let us all know.

john19055
12-27-06, 04:14 PM
I thought ever thing was fine after the the P23 Bios update but I kept haveing problems with my ram ,I would get radom reboots and it would'nt make it though some of my benchmarks ,that worked fine with the P21 Bios,I can not keep it stable at the timeings I was running ,plus I can not overclock the ram as high as I you to do.Plus it raises the refresh rate of the ram,Make sure you flash with the floppy to get the best results,I ran my ram at 800 to 825 and I had no problems with the P21 bios and now with the P23 Bios the ram is just messing up sure I don't get SATA errors if I run my ram above 1100 ,but I don't run my that high since I like to keep a 1:1 ratio ,so I flashed back to the P21 bios and everthing is working good now like it did ,I will wait for a better Bios update or just keep the P21 since it gives me no problems ,and I keep hearing bad things about the P23 ,and I know it gave me problems.

tacos4me
12-27-06, 06:26 PM
I flashed to P23 with the floppy method before I even installed my hard drives, and I've been running flawlessly for a week now.

Spartan 117
12-27-06, 06:32 PM
have you tried OC the ram with that Bios, ive heard of horror stories that when you do, it has issues with the second blu slot and it could fry you ram