PDA

View Full Version : XFX 8800 GTS Bios Question

Aprox
12-23-06, 12:11 AM
Hello Everyone, I have been an avid reader of these forums so I know how helpful you guys can be. I had a question, so I figured it was time to register. :)

I bought myself an XFX 8800 GTS about six weeks ago and I have been experiencing some minor little annoyances. For one, sometimes both my monitors will suddenly go into standby mode. I will be using my computer then lean back or whatever and sometimes its within two seconds or up to ten, the screens will just turn black. A simple wiggle of the mouse brings them back, so its not a huge deal but annoying none the less.

I have thought this could be a video driver issue, but the more I think about it the less I think thats the problem. I have been debating updated my video bios. Here is my bios version.

Version 60.80.06.00.10

I did some research for the latest bios at mvktech, I was able to find version:

Version 60.80.07.00.10 - EVGA version

However, as you can see this is a EVGA bios, the XFX section did not contain any updated BIOS for my card. From what I have gathered, its ok to use a bios for the 8800 series from another brand. Obviously its just a matter of changing the vendor id in NiBiTor. Is this a correct assumption?

After a tad more research I was able to find a even more recent version:

Version 60.80.08.00.23 - Gigabyte
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/VGA/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2400

So overall my question is, should I update my bios (I'm a sucker for having the latest driver, bios... etc) Do you think the screen blackout is driver or bios related. Any other suggestions or criticisms :)

Thanks for your time (cheers)

derdeutscha
12-23-06, 10:38 AM
You should take a chance and update it with the bios from a GTX and see if you can unlock the extra processors :-)

Hello Everyone, I have been an avid reader of these forums so I know how helpful you guys can be. I had a question, so I figured it was time to register. :)

I bought myself an XFX 8800 GTS about six weeks ago and I have been experiencing some minor little annoyances. For one, sometimes both my monitors will suddenly go into standby mode. I will be using my computer then lean back or whatever and sometimes its within two seconds or up to ten, the screens will just turn black. A simple wiggle of the mouse brings them back, so its not a huge deal but annoying none the less.

I have thought this could be a video driver issue, but the more I think about it the less I think thats the problem. I have been debating updated my video bios. Here is my bios version.

Version 60.80.06.00.10

I did some research for the latest bios at mvktech, I was able to find version:

Version 60.80.07.00.10 - EVGA version

However, as you can see this is a EVGA bios, the XFX section did not contain any updated BIOS for my card. From what I have gathered, its ok to use a bios for the 8800 series from another brand. Obviously its just a matter of changing the vendor id in NiBiTor. Is this a correct assumption?

After a tad more research I was able to find a even more recent version:

Version 60.80.08.00.23 - Gigabyte
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/VGA/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2400

So overall my question is, should I update my bios (I'm a sucker for having the latest driver, bios... etc) Do you think the screen blackout is driver or bios related. Any other suggestions or criticisms :)

Thanks for your time (cheers)

Darkoz
12-23-06, 05:45 PM
That's one piece of advice that I would certainly ignore unless you want to wreck your card.
A GTX BIOS will not work for a GTS.

derdeutscha
12-23-06, 06:50 PM
I was mostly joking

but hey if someone rich wanted to try it be my guest.

That's one piece of advice that I would certainly ignore unless you want to wreck your card.
A GTX BIOS will not work for a GTS.

darthmalak
12-23-06, 07:15 PM
If you want to destroy your warranty and be pretty sure you are going to ruin your card you should definitely update you bios...

The card has been out very shortly and drivers are a joke so I would just be patient.

And please humor me by explaining what leads you to believe it is not a driver issue?

SlieTheSecond
12-23-06, 08:05 PM
Flash to a GTX? Are you trying to unlock what doesn't exist?

Aprox
12-23-06, 08:35 PM
I pretty much ignored the comment on flashing it to a GTX, funny though. :p

As far as thinking its not a driver issue, its been doing it for as long as I have hard the card. I have used a few sets of drivers (96.94, 97.02, 97.28) it seems as if its becoming more and more frequent as well. I realize it will void my warranty, but considering I have OC'ed it anyways my warranty is already toast. I'm waiting for a full coverage waterblock from DD before I start to OC the card again.

Anyways back on the subject, nobody has answered my questions yet.

Slammin
12-24-06, 09:58 AM
Screen saver?

I mean, if your monitor goes blank and you 'wake' it up by wiggling the mouse, well.....

If you are just looking for an excuse to upgrade your bios, I'll not offer any input there, but for now you should check your screen saver settings.

john19055
12-24-06, 01:18 PM
That does not sound like a video card Bios problem ,that sound like you have your screensaver not set right ,because the video card would not case that ,Plus you don't want to mess flashing your video Bios unless there is a real problem and if that was the case XFX would have issued a Bios update if it had that big of a problem,You can use the new version of Ntune to overclock and it will keep your overclocks even when you turn off your computer.

derdeutscha
12-24-06, 01:50 PM
What are you talking about? The chip on the GTS is the exact same chip as on the GTX, the only difference is they have the power supply divided into two plugs instead of one. The card is longer because it has more capacitors and such for the extra power plug (which isn't necessarily needed)

(and somehow they have locked 2 blocks of processors, probably through the bios)

Flash to a GTX? Are you trying to unlock what doesn't exist?

Aprox
12-24-06, 05:03 PM
Wow, thanks for making me feel like an idiot guys. :(

The screen saver settings are fine, you are just misunderstanding. My screen saver is set to come on after 20 minutes. Yet, sometimes... after a few seconds of no mouse movement/keyboard use the screen will go black. This doesn't mean the screen saver is coming on. its actually goes to DPMS off mode.

I'm not looking for an excuse to upgrade my bios, I was more interested in the questions I asked.

Sheesh, merry Christmas.

rflair
12-24-06, 05:15 PM
Did you check to make sure Power Options in the Contorl Panel are correct?

Slammin
12-24-06, 05:23 PM
"I will be using my computer then lean back or whatever and sometimes its within two seconds or up to ten, the screens will just turn black. A simple wiggle of the mouse brings them back, so its not a huge deal but annoying none the less."

Then stop leaning back or whatever! :-)

"I have thought this could be a video driver issue, but the more I think about it the less I think thats the problem. I have been debating updated my video bios. Here is my bios version."

So, you've ruled out everything and come to the conclusion that you need a new bios.

Saying it was a screen saver issue was just a guess, based on what info you provided. Wasn't trying to make you feel dumb, but you concluding, actually, insisting on upgrading your vid card bios,.. well, that's up to you.

Your machine seems to be going into power saving mode for some reason and I doubt it has anything at all to do with what bios your vid card is running, but have at it man.

I would check to make sure you are not running at a borderline refresh rate that your monitor is choking on but other than that, you do have an interesting problem and sorry I cannot be more helpful.