View Full Version : GT: Resistance vs. Gears of War

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gaco
12-23-06, 06:28 AM
http://moses.gametrailers.com/vs.php?ep=1&hd=1

That's a pretty neat feature GT is launching imo. Watch n' vote :D

Mr. Hunt
12-23-06, 06:51 AM
Why is there nothing for the "Plot" category?

Gaco
12-23-06, 07:19 AM
Why is there nothing for the "Plot" category?
Dunno, good question. They'll probably add it in the next versus. Since it's a new concept they are probably still experimenting and learning. IMO the text in the middle they wrote as comments on the games was too little, I didn't notice it until halfway through (xmasmile)

Toss3
12-23-06, 07:25 AM
So has anyone here actually played both games from start to finish? I hope this thread isn't going to turn into a flamewar... (xmassign)

Mr. Hunt
12-23-06, 07:26 AM
Dunno, good question. They'll probably add it in the next versus. Since it's a new concept they are probably still experimenting and learning. IMO the text in the middle they wrote as comments on the games was too little, I didn't notice it until halfway through (xmasmile)

Yeah I watched it all... can't believe GoW won in almost every category... the 40 player MP in Resistance is too freaking fun... Gears is fun online, but not nearly as awesome as Resistance... I also read some of the comments and I get the feeling most of them have never actually played Resistance since one person said it looked bland and was a rip off of Call of Duty 2 :\.

Mr. Hunt
12-23-06, 07:27 AM
So has anyone here actually played both games from start to finish? I hope this thread isn't going to turn into a flamewar... (xmassign)

I actually haven't finished either yet... but I own Gears and my brother owns Resistance and I borrowed it and have been playing through quite a bit.

sytaylor
12-23-06, 07:28 AM
Its not really a like for like comparison. The mechanics of the games are different... and besides GoW is way better :p

Tyr-Sog
12-23-06, 07:32 AM
I'm not really going to comment on the gameplay(although watching it gives me a pretty good idea) since I never played Resistance but graphically, GOW simply slaughters it. Not even close imo, especially in the lighting and shadow department..

Mr. Hunt
12-23-06, 07:45 AM
I'm not really going to comment on the gameplay(although watching it gives me a pretty good idea) since I never played Resistance but graphically, GOW simply slaughters it. Not even close imo, especially in the lighting and shadow department..

Agreed... how about the many other points?

Graphics slaughtering it doesn't mean the game as a whole is better (unless you care ONLY about graphics, and gameplay is of no importance).

Gaco
12-23-06, 07:56 AM
Weapons are more interesting in Resistance, that's it. Can someone convinced me otherwise?

icecold1983
12-23-06, 08:01 AM
graphically it isnt even close, gow is in another league. its like comparing gt hd to gtr 2

PeterJensen
12-23-06, 08:19 AM
MP is far better and better made in GoW.

Toss3
12-23-06, 08:23 AM
Have you played both or are you just guessing? Hmm I wonder what GoW would look like on the ps3, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough with ut2007. (rudolf)

Mr. Hunt
12-23-06, 08:31 AM

Based on all of your hate towards the PS3... I would venture to guess you haven't played Resistance, especially online... not saying you can't have your opinion... but you really should play it... 40 players and 0 lag is awesome for a console shooter... and GoW MP has some gay stuff (grenade tagging from like 5-10 feet away is the gayest tactic ever).

Peoples-Agent
12-23-06, 09:05 AM
I got a feeling Resistance will dominate the online battle, but once Epic release the downloadable content for GOW and add more maps and game modes, can see that changing fast.

Aren't too many games about that have replayability anymore, RB6 Vegas is pretty cool online and games like Smackdown are endless, but apart from that I still feel we're being cut a little short all the time.

I hope Bioshock doesn't turn out to be a quick breeze through and finish like Deus Ex 2 was.

Tyr-Sog
12-23-06, 09:40 AM
Agreed... how about the many other points?

Graphics slaughtering it doesn't mean the game as a whole is better (unless you care ONLY about graphics, and gameplay is of no importance).

I have my opinion on gameplay but again it's just judging off videos I have seen of Resistance. I'm going to have to use the opinion of somebody who owns both games at another website where this was posted. "Resistance is your typical generic FPS". Which is the feeling I got when watching that clip. I just felt that I've been there sone that so many times. Where is with GOW I was blown away with pre game footage. Which it lived up to after playing it.

Same goes with MP. Now mind you I'm not a huge fan of GOW MP becasue of the small maps and 4vs4 gameplay but after watching that clip I honestly coudn't vote for resistance. It's just same old same old where you just run and gun down other players. Where is GOW tends to break new ground with the depth thats needed to actually succeed and be good in MP.

Weapons could be a more personal preference but IMO the chainsaw and exploding arrows edge gow.

Art design again hard to judge but going off this VS's clip, diffently GOW, everything is just so rich and level to level it just flows. Someone early mentioned that Resistance was a COD 2 clone. Funny because watching this clip it crossed my mind that there was similarities. Again just the feeling that i've been here many times.

Marvel_us
12-23-06, 09:54 AM
While I don't own Gears of War, I have played a lot of the multiplayer at my friends house.

I'd say Resistance's multiplayer has an edge over GoW. I often find myself laughing during the multiplayer when I kill someone or even get killed.

As for downloadable content for Gears, Resistance has it too and actually had it some already with the patch released yesterday.

I'd say Gears takes the cake overall but Resistance wins out in a few categories.

Toss3
12-23-06, 10:00 AM
Weapons could be a more personal preference but IMO the chainsaw and exploding arrows edge gow.

I haven't played gow nor have I played resistance, but the weapons in resistance do look more fun imo. I'm guessing you get tired of the chainsaw after a couple of days, like you do with all melee-weapons. The weapons of resistance seem to offer more of a tactic addition to the game, especially in MP. (cheers) (I'll get to play GoW tomorrow with my new 5.1 headset! (xmassign) )

rek075
12-23-06, 10:06 AM
Out of 10 candidates for GoTY at Gamespot, Resistance didn't even make it. Sounds like just another FPS.

Marvel_us
12-23-06, 10:07 AM
I have my opinion on gameplay but again it's just judging off videos I have seen of Resistance. I'm going to have to use the opinion of somebody who owns both games at another website where this was posted. "Resistance is your typical generic FPS". Which is the feeling I got when watching that clip. I just felt that I've been there sone that so many times. Where is with GOW I was blown away with pre game footage. Which it lived up to after playing it.

Same goes with MP. Now mind you I'm not a huge fan of GOW MP becasue of the small maps and 4vs4 gameplay but after watching that clip I honestly coudn't vote for resistance. It's just same old same old where you just run and gun down other players. Where is GOW tends to break new ground with the depth thats needed to actually succeed and be good in MP.

Art design again hard to judge but going off this VS's clip, diffently GOW, everything is just so rich and level to level it just flows. Someone early mentioned that Resistance was a COD 2 clone. Funny because watching this clip it crossed my mind that there was similarities. Again just the feeling that i've been here many times.

Heh, I'm not gonna knock anything you said because it's obvious you haven't played Resistance, which you stated. Take it from me, who owns the game, Resistance's FIRST level looks like COD after that the aliens take over and change all that with their own architecture which looks nothing like COD.

The weapons thing is your opinion but I've used the weapons in GoW and Resistance has those beat. Every gun in Resistance has an alternate fire and has a very unique ability. Take the Auger which allows you to shoot through walls and create a shield in front of you which nothing expect another Auger can penetrate. That's just one of the many weapons in Resistance.

Marvel_us
12-23-06, 10:09 AM
Out of 10 candidates for GoTY at Gamespot, Resistance didn't even make it. Sounds like just another FPS.

How about you play the game for yourself and create your own opinion.

Toss3
12-23-06, 10:16 AM
How about you play the game for yourself and create your own opinion.
How many hours of gameplay do you get out of Resistance? I heard that GoW only lasts about 8 hours.. (santa2)

Marvel_us
12-23-06, 10:23 AM
How many hours of gameplay do you get out of Resistance? I heard that GoW only lasts about 8 hours.. (santa2)

Well because of that deleted game thing I just blew past the first few levels but I'm at around 10 hours and still have like 3 or 4 levels left. Playing the game on Medium btw.

six_storm
12-23-06, 10:28 AM
Resistance graphics look pretty good, but it's not even in the same ball park as GoW. As for gameplay and MP, I have no idea. I've only played SP.

PeterJensen
12-23-06, 10:51 AM

You are sooo funny...