PDA

View Full Version : New Gener of PC Gaming : Crossplayer-FPS!

SH64
12-23-06, 10:01 AM
Mighty interesting story!!
While details are as good as non-existant, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic developer Arkane Studios and the art Director of Half-Life 2 are working on an all new project, The Crossing, powered by Valve's Source engine. According to 1UP this game, if pulled off successfully, could create a new genre of gaming, as it merges singleplayer with multiplayer in what is being called crossplayer-FPS. The Crossing will be cover story on the next Games for Windows issue.
http://www.worthplaying.com/print.php?sid=39541

video :
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/8142

Mr. Hunt
12-23-06, 10:08 AM
After your long post... you put "Gener" in the title? ;) ;)

SH64
12-23-06, 10:10 AM
After your long post... you put "Gener" in the title? ;) ;)
Hey its an "abbrev." :p i dont want to make long thread titles :p

LORD-eX-Bu
12-23-06, 10:15 AM
meh, it will probably just turn into a MMO FPS :lol:

SH64
12-23-06, 10:27 AM
-LORD-eX-Bu']meh, it will probably just turn into a MMO FPS :lol:
Nah that would be just lame.
i'm expecting something completely new .. would be nice to wait & see :)

CaptNKILL
12-23-06, 10:31 AM
Damn, I guess this means no Arx 2 from Arkane any time soon. :(

This has piqued my interest though. The graphics in the video look pretty nice. Looks like an open world.

I'm guessing its the FPS version of what Test Drive Unlimited is doing.

SH64
12-23-06, 11:16 AM
You know what i'm thinking ?
it could be a FPS that requires another player(s) to join your server to do certain tasks .. like a puzzle that needs more than just you to solve or a boss that requires massive firepower to beat. a player like your friend or anybody can be summoned - online - to help you while playing sorta thing.

CaptNKILL
12-23-06, 11:25 AM
it could be a FPS that requires another player(s) to join your server to do certain tasks .. like a puzzle that needs more than just you to solve or a boss that requires massive firepower to beat. a player like your friend or anybody can be summoned - online - to help you while playing sorta thing.
Sounds sort of like a new take on co-op.

SH64
12-23-06, 11:33 AM
Sounds sort of like a new take on co-op.
Yeah , pretty much. or something along these lines .. (hence the "cross" word perhaps?)

saturnotaku
12-23-06, 11:37 AM

If this is the direction that games take, where you are required to do multiplayer in order to accomplish tasks in a single-player campaign, I will swear off gaming forever.

K007
12-23-06, 12:06 PM
Looks more like a MMO+FPS..

LycosV
12-23-06, 01:08 PM
If this is the direction that games take, where you are required to do multiplayer in order to accomplish tasks in a single-player campaign, I will swear off gaming forever.

I tend to agree, you can't combine single player and multiplayer, that's an oxymoron. You can either play a game by yourself, disconnected from any kind of network, or you can't, there's no middle ground. Don't get me wrong, I love coop in games, but the single player aspect of any game is drastically important to me. I don't have the internet all the time and it's great to be able to just jump in a game and play by your own timetable, not somebody else's.

superklye
12-23-06, 02:21 PM
Hey its an "abbrev." :p i dont want to make long thread titles :p
So it was supposed to be "generation" and not "genre"?

grey_1
12-23-06, 02:28 PM
Same here. I would love co-op to be an integral part of every FPS, but only as a matter of choice.

pakotlar
12-23-06, 02:39 PM
I tend to agree, you can't combine single player and multiplayer, that's an oxymoron. You can either play a game by yourself, disconnected from any kind of network, or you can't, there's no middle ground. Don't get me wrong, I love coop in games, but the single player aspect of any game is drastically important to me. I don't have the internet all the time and it's great to be able to just jump in a game and play by your own timetable, not somebody else's.

What about online singleplayer? ;)

CaptNKILL
12-23-06, 09:13 PM
What about online singleplayer? ;)
I think Quake 4 has that. Theres like 1000 servers and they're all empty. :wonder:

nutcrackr
12-23-06, 09:54 PM
Not sure what they are talking about, either you play by yourself - single player. Or you play with others - multiplayer, as far as I can see you can't have both or a hybrid. I can't think of anything that would work as "crossplayer"

CaptNKILL
12-23-06, 10:24 PM
Maybe all single player games are open and online and at any time your player could be taken over by someone across the world and you are forced into spectator mode... now thatd be fun...

:lol:

ynnek
12-24-06, 05:28 PM
You know what comes into mind? Guild Wars. You go online, and technically can play it single player.. or pair up with other folks that are about at the same point you are on. With the occasional mission that pits you against the opposing side.

Obviously, when you throw in interaction and reliance with other players, it could be very good and very bad.

For example, I would hate to b0e grouped in with a player thats totally useless.

Or even worse, a player that just uses you to blitz through the missions just to get ahead. <- That is actually what killed GW for me.. I was having a great time until I reached this desert area.. Suddenly, everyone I matched up with were jerks.. I think because it was an area where a lot of people already played the game through once or twice already, and were already level 20.. After getting burned a bunch of times and wasting hours of my time because of that, I just decided to give up on the story line.

Edge
12-25-06, 02:26 AM
The only thing I can think of that would fit that definition is an FPS version of what Spore is doing, where elements from other people are downloaded to your game and you're playing with content that comes from other users, but the game itself is still single-player.

For an FPS, perhaps it allows you to set up certain things in the game yourself such as placing defences, ordering allied characters, etc. and then having the changes you've made translate to other people's games. So essentially, all the dynamic elements in a map could be modified by anyone and sent out to other people. At least that's pretty much the only thing that would make sense when they're talking about a "multiplayer singleplayer" game.

Alternatively, maybe you just have a team of people and you all are given an objective to finish that relates to a full goal but you have to accomplish it alone. For example, if a team of players is supposed to break into base, one player would go through the sewers and tap the communications, another would sneak past the defences and turn them off, another would be laying down coverfire at the front to draw enemies away, etc.. Each task is still handled individually and no two players are on the same map at the same time, but the success or failure of the other players still has an impact on your game.

Otherwise...I have no idea what they could mean. You can't exactly "combine" the two into one thing without it still being one or the other (if you're actively playing with other people, then it's still a multiplayer game).

CaptNKILL
12-25-06, 03:25 AM
The only thing I can think of that would fit that definition is an FPS version of what Spore is doing, where elements from other people are downloaded to your game and you're playing with content that comes from other users, but the game itself is still single-player.

For an FPS, perhaps it allows you to set up certain things in the game yourself such as placing defences, ordering allied characters, etc. and then having the changes you've made translate to other people's games. So essentially, all the dynamic elements in a map could be modified by anyone and sent out to other people. At least that's pretty much the only thing that would make sense when they're talking about a "multiplayer singleplayer" game.

Alternatively, maybe you just have a team of people and you all are given an objective to finish that relates to a full goal but you have to accomplish it alone. For example, if a team of players is supposed to break into base, one player would go through the sewers and tap the communications, another would sneak past the defences and turn them off, another would be laying down coverfire at the front to draw enemies away, etc.. Each task is still handled individually and no two players are on the same map at the same time, but the success or failure of the other players still has an impact on your game.

Otherwise...I have no idea what they could mean. You can't exactly "combine" the two into one thing without it still being one or the other (if you're actively playing with other people, then it's still a multiplayer game).
Those are both good possibilities.

It looks like the two main ideas we should expect are something like Spore (single player game that is influenced by other players, but you don't interact with them) or something like Test Drive Unlimited (single player game with the chance of interacting with other players randomly who are also playing a single player game for the most part).

The second one is still technically multiplayer, but since its still playable whether other people are there or not, it isnt really single or multi.

Either way, I think this could be very interesting. I wonder why Arkane decided to do a project like this. A modern FPS with a revolutionary multiplayer system seems like an odd choice for a developer who's past consists of fantasy action\RPGs focused on single player.

At least we know it'll look good and have great art style and atmosphere (between the guys from Arkane and the art director of HL2, its pretty much a given).

v3rninater
12-26-06, 05:59 AM
This is a big rip-off of Coop gaming, this is basically Co-op just with a new title. So big WOOPTY DOOoo, graphics looked real nice but hey, you can't make an old dog do new tricks. You can call him different names, but still the same old thing.

Really, MMORPG's like WOW and others are basically CROSSPLAYER games already. Well, there's more marketing bs for ya.:owned: