JSP
ASP
VB.NET
HTML
CSS
SQL

uOpt
06-08-07, 11:05 AM
I learned and have been payed to program in way too many languages. Just as I have read many many books. But the question is - which languages had a lasting impact? Which languages brought me insights that I wouldn't have gotten without learning those languages? Just as with books? Which book that you read do you remember now? That's the question to ask.

My main languages are Common Lisp and C++. The expressive power of Common Lisp is beyond anything I could have imagined without learning the languages, and the things that people do in this language. C++ is more of a love-hate thing. It's like wrestling I guess. It's pain and it stinks but if you are successful you keep doing it. I do high-performance computing, so I don't use any of the runtime features of Common Lisp (I only use it for it's advanced compile-time computing, after macroexpansion the code looks like C code). C++ is obviously the weapon of choice of you want runtime-overhead free code.

Among the scripting languages Perl, Ruby and Python I really don't like any of them, but Ruby offends me least. I still know Perl better, though. Python broke backwards compatibility with the latest version, I should check it out. Python has a large community coming up with stuff for Python that makes it interesting, too. Ruby on the other hand seems to finally go SMP-capable interpreter in the CVS versions.

I know bourne shell very well, used to maintain an implementation. It's very useful to be good at it since you can write mini-programs right in the commandline, then echo them to a file and edit the file to make a script. Obviously it's an insane language, though :)

I learned enough functional languages that I know they don't fit my brain. It's like square key and round hole. Sorry chaps.

I will never learn languages that are available only from one non-open source vendor. What do you do when they take it away?

ViN86
06-11-07, 08:46 AM
updated...

ASP.net
PHP
SQL
HTML
CSS
C (basic knowledge)
VB.NET

mynakedrat
06-12-07, 09:34 PM
english,
espanish,
language of love
universal language of mind
esl,
basic.

Daneel Olivaw
06-14-07, 08:31 PM
I am professional in:
Microsoft Dynamics AX X++ (C++/C# offshot)
C# .Net
SQL (MSSQL Server)

proficient/fluent in:
C/C++
Java

I am a beginner in:
HTML/Java Script

bugmeplz
08-05-07, 12:11 AM
java, c/c#/c++, prolog, lisp

jcrox
08-05-07, 01:53 AM
Learning something new and sometimes tricky is just part of the fun. Unfortunately that fun occasionally turns into disbelief "I can't believe they designed it this stupid". Usually this applies to commercial library APIs though.

Yeah, I can't count how many times I've sat here so frustrated just to find the solution and end up thinking "that's it..... that's what I supposed to do.... that dumb ****ing teacher, I'm gonna kill him"

bugmeplz
08-08-07, 06:40 PM
dont blame the teacher, im willing to bet its mostly your fault

stncttr908
08-08-07, 07:03 PM
Know:

HTML
CSS

Some experience:

Javascript/AJAX
Java
C++
PHP
SQL (not a language yeah yeah)

Greeno
08-09-07, 04:37 AM
English and French ;)

Imbroglio
08-10-07, 11:13 PM
a little update with my new job (been in it about 5-6 months now)

use daily:

bash/korn shell scripts
Pro*C (C programs with direct Oracle SQL call - my main language at the company rewriting several processes to speed them up)
PL/SQL
java (w/struts)

... and oh yeah... SQR (seems like my corporation and middle-easterners are the only people on the face of the earth that use this report language :/ probably because we have our hand in oracles back pocket )

:: a little side note, if you work at oracle, and then change jobs to work R&D or as a DBA for a corp that runs oracle, please STFU and don't talk to the devs about theorectical programming that you learned that doesn't work in production, nobody cares (we have enough egotistical oracle prodigies as it is, thanks)

Daneel Olivaw
08-11-07, 08:06 PM
English and French ;) Where's the french from?

spaceigg
08-19-07, 10:42 PM
:D English, Spanish and Visual Basic

tieros
08-21-07, 02:24 PM
No way I'm going to remember them all :)

Languages I've programmed in for money:

4004/6502/68000/8080/8088, etc. assembly
8 or 9 flavors of BASIC
ForTran 77 (and up)
Cobol
Pascal (too many flavors to remember)
C
C++
Modula 2
Perl
SGML
Postscript (yes, we used to code it by hand in the olden days)
Every shell script/DCL/DOS variant on 99% of OSes

Languages I've used for fun/research:
Action!
Occam
APL
LISP
Snobol
Modula 3
C#
Java
Smalltalk

Languages I program in now for money:
SQL and PL/SQL (I'm one of those ex-Oracle employees mentioned earlier :captnkill: November 2007 will mark my 20th year using Oracle, and it's the reason I can afford my sinfully decadent, slacker, semi-retired lifestyle :D )
PHP
HTML

Languages I hate: :)
Java
Java
Java
C++
C#
and every other "OO is the only way to do things" language :thumbdwn:

wnd
08-21-07, 04:50 PM
4004/6502/68000/8080/8088, etc. assembly
8 or 9 flavors of BASIC
ForTran 77
Cobol
Postscript
LISP
Smalltalk

And along that list you actually admit knowing BASIC. ;-)

bugmeplz
08-23-07, 09:46 PM
No way I'm going to remember them all :)

Languages I hate: :)
Java
Java
Java
C++
C#
and every other "OO is the only way to do things" language :thumbdwn:

You are wrong about c++ there buddy.. it is multi paradigm

BTW, am i the only one in here who has messed with Prolog?
Great language to mess around with.. it's only used for AI (an "academic language"), but it's really neat - its a good one to have some fun with.

wnd
08-24-07, 02:09 AM
BTW, am i the only one in here who has messed with Prolog?
Great language to mess around with.. it's only used for AI (an "academic language"), but it's really neat - its a good one to have some fun with.

I have messed around with Prolog, but I hardly know it. It's very powerful language for certain purposes, but it's not exactly suitable for stuff I usually do.

hell_of_doom227
08-24-07, 06:18 PM
If you wanna do standalone app go with C or C++.
If you wanna do web go with VB.Net or C# or (JSP blah).
If you wanna support old mainframe systems go with Natural rather then COBOL.

The bottom line is JAVA sucks...but don't get me wrong...it's good to know it. It's just my opinion.

I do programming for living, and i would recommend Visual Studio 2005. Sometimes I have to jump from mainframe (COBOL) to VS 2005 and back, it makes you think...:)

six_storm
08-27-07, 10:07 AM
Dunno if I'm chimed in here or not. I know C++ (completed 2 courses), COBOL (completed 1 course) and JAVA (completed 1 course). JAVA is way better than COBOL . . . actually, ANYTHING is better than COBOL. COBOL has to be the worst language ever. The bad thing is that my new classes this semester kinda deal with COBOL in a small sense. My teachers say that COBOL is still being used like crazy . . . :(

nemecb
08-27-07, 10:53 AM
My teachers say that COBOL is still being used like crazy . . . :(
That might be a slight exaggeration. It's true that COBOL is still being used, and fairly heavily in some areas, but nobody's writing new stuff in it AFAIK. They're just adding on to legacy apps that they don't want to have to rewrite. I have a friend who is trying to make a COBOL backend work with a web app. Lots of fun.:D

Oh, and I did Prolog in school, but I'm not a huge fan of academic languages (Smalltalk...shudder). We did ML too, and although they were both interesting (and ML was a great way to brush up on my recursive thinking;)) I'm not in a huge hurry to use them again.

Monolyth
08-27-07, 11:35 AM
Languages I am fluent in:
SQL/T-SQL,
Microfocus COBOL, Fujitsu PowerCOBOL
C++,
PHP, ASP/VBScript/VB6,
HTML/JS/DHTML/CSS/SSI

.NET Languages:
VB, C#, COBOL(scary eh? yeah I don't like it).
ASP, ASP AJAX

Currently working in a heavy .NET 2.0 & 1.1 environment, but at home I do mostly PHP & some ASP.NET AJAX work. Slowly getting to know the new stuff in .NET 3.0.

six_storm
08-29-07, 12:11 PM
That might be a slight exaggeration. It's true that COBOL is still being used, and fairly heavily in some areas, but nobody's writing new stuff in it AFAIK. They're just adding on to legacy apps that they don't want to have to rewrite. I have a friend who is trying to make a COBOL backend work with a web app. Lots of fun.:D

Oh, and I did Prolog in school, but I'm not a huge fan of academic languages (Smalltalk...shudder). We did ML too, and although they were both interesting (and ML was a great way to brush up on my recursive thinking;)) I'm not in a huge hurry to use them again.

Yeah, apparently COBOL is king of business-based programming, especially in databasing. :rolleyes: I actually like C++ and Java is ok, but COBOL is terrible. I had more trouble out of that class last semester than any other.

Monolyth
08-29-07, 01:23 PM
Yeah, apparently COBOL is king of business-based programming, especially in databasing. :rolleyes: I actually like C++ and Java is ok, but COBOL is terrible. I had more trouble out of that class last semester than any other.

Was* king. The only reason it is still around is because the people that manage the dev's at places that run Big-Iron mainframes were once COBOL programmers and aren't comfortable with newer technologies. When those old programmers fall out of circulation (retirement, etc.), say good bye to those systems.

With server-client technology becoming the new thing more modern object-oriented languages are being put to use, of course COBOL did get object-orientation but it is CRAP!

bugmeplz
09-07-07, 11:14 PM
.NET Languages:
VB, C#, COBOL(scary eh? yeah I don't like it).
ASP, ASP AJAX

Currently working in a heavy .NET 2.0 & 1.1 environment, but at home I do mostly PHP & some ASP.NET AJAX work. Slowly getting to know the new stuff in .NET 3.0.

wasnt aware COBOL ran on the .net runtimes...