PDA

View Full Version : Languages you know

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

wnd
10-17-07, 06:19 PM
Well all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono and gtk#.

And green unicorns will fill the sky. No, seriously, where did you get this? I know there are plans/initial work C# API for GNOME- and GTK+-libraries, but "all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono"?

Banko
10-18-07, 09:30 AM
And green unicorns will fill the sky. No, seriously, where did you get this? I know there are plans/initial work C# API for GNOME- and GTK+-libraries, but "all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono"?
Well the new apps are for example right now F-Spot, Beagle and TomBoy are written in c# and use gtk# for the GUI.

wnd
10-18-07, 12:50 PM
Well the new apps are for example right now F-Spot, Beagle and TomBoy are written in c# and use gtk# for the GUI.

Yes, there are new GNOME applications that are written in C#, and I believe there will be more. What I don't believe is that "all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono and gtk#". If GNOME project decided that "from now on, all new GNOME applications shall be written in C#", I'm sure they would lose a lot of developers.

Personally I don't know C#, so I don't have any real opinnions about it. Generally speaking I like the fact that we have several languages as this allows using correct tool for a given task. C# API for GTK? Sure, sounds great.

hell_of_doom227
10-19-07, 08:52 AM
Have you used VS 2003 in your professional projects and had to migrate them to VS 2005? If so, have you encountered any problems along the way?

Yes, and to tell you the truth i don't like the whole migration process. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes it doesn't. It creates additional garbage along the way. I rewrite any app writen in VS 2003 to .NET2.0 platform. Also if you use sql connection to oracle or sql i follow a new tri-tier model presentation-data-business layer.

Banko
10-20-07, 02:23 AM
Yes, there are new GNOME applications that are written in C#, and I believe there will be more. What I don't believe is that "all the new Gnome stuff will be done in c# using mono and gtk#". If GNOME project decided that "from now on, all new GNOME applications shall be written in C#", I'm sure they would lose a lot of developers.

Personally I don't know C#, so I don't have any real opinnions about it. Generally speaking I like the fact that we have several languages as this allows using correct tool for a given task. C# API for GTK? Sure, sounds great.
Have you ever used the crap that is GObject?

wnd
10-20-07, 05:50 AM
Have you ever used the crap that is GObject?

And being paid for it? For years.