PDA

View Full Version : Samsung SyncMaster 204B blackouts in DVI mode

WakeFossil
12-24-06, 09:07 AM
Dear nVidia drivers experts!

My graphics adater: Asus EN7600GS Top Silent (nVidia Geforce 7600GS)
My monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 204B
Linux driver: 1.0-9742 (tried 9629 and 9631 before: same result)
Windows driver: 93.81

Problem description:
If I'm running my monitor in DVI mode at 1600x1200 (as recommended), then after approximately an hour the monitor goes black for half a second preceded by pixel "snow" (white or green pixels in dark areas). The blackouts get more frequent with time.
In analog mode the problem doesn't occur, but running a TFT in analog mode is IMHO no satisfactory solution.
Other users have encountered this problem as well: http://www.prad.de/board/thread.php?threadid=27604 (german TFT forum)
The problem occurs under Windows and Linux.

I'm sure that this is a monitor problem and my domestic Samsung rep has told me to send in the monitor for inspection, but I would appreciate it if I could find a workaround and don't have to send in my monitor.
So here comes my question: Are there any driver settings I could try to avoid the blackouts?
In the thread mentioned above a rather weird workaround has been suggested: to change the refresh rate to 58 Hz. I tried this, but it didn't help. (I don't think the refresh rate is of any significance in DVI mode.)
Another hint given in the thread mentioned above says that the problem didn't occur if a second monitor was attached (no matter if analog or with DVI).
Can I fake a dual monitor setup even if I don't have a second monitor? If yes, how?

Any help is appreciated.
Merry Christmas
Andy

P.S.: I am posting this to the ForceWare Drivers forum and to the NVIDIA Linux Forum in order to reach Linux and Windows drivers experts. I hope this isn't regarded as illegal cross-posting.

WakeFossil
12-26-06, 05:42 AM
Some other user using the same monitor with a 7600 GT has told me that he got his monitor replaced and the exact same problem occurred with the new monitor, too. Considering this, I will refrain from getting my monitor replaced as this will not solve my problem.
So this seems to be a general incompatibility issue between nVidia GPUs and the SyncMaster 204B.
Given this finding I and several other users struggling with the combination nVidia / Samsung SyncMaster 204B would highly appreciate a solution / workaround.

Best regards,
Andy

Osamar
12-26-06, 05:42 AM
I had a similar problem, but in windows, and it was the DVI cable. So if you could check with another cable??
(santa2)

WakeFossil
12-26-06, 05:52 AM
I already tried another cable, but the problem remained.
In the thread linked in my first post someone even tried a dual link cable, but the problem still occurred.

nekrosoft13
12-26-06, 07:16 AM
other cable you tried, what kind of cable was it?

there is more then one type of dvi, there id dvi-a(analog), dvi-d(digital, single and dual link), dvi-i(analog and digital combined)

WakeFossil
12-26-06, 07:23 AM
My standard cable is DVI-D single link.
The other cable I tried was DVI-D single link, too.
But as I mentioned earlier, other users have tried DVI-D dual link cables, and the problem persisted.

mikedep333
12-26-06, 02:52 PM
I have a Syncmaster 204B and a 7600GT, but I haven't experienced any trouble at all.

WakeFossil
12-27-06, 05:20 AM
PCI Express or AGP?