PDA

View Full Version : Problem with geforce2 mx 400 and the drivers

Cloral
07-28-02, 04:46 PM
When I got my new computer about a year ago, I noticed that no dos programs wanted to run. Even the dos prompt wouldn't work in full-screen. This seemed like a display issue, so I got a older version of the driver pack from my roommate and installed that - lo and behold, dos programs would now work again.
However, I began to notice display artifacts in my 3d games. Most notibly, texture alpha blending didn't seem to be working right, so that textured objects had very hard edges. So when I saw that there was a newer version of the drivers available, I downloaded and installed them. Unfortunately, this brought back the dos problem.
So I tried to uninstall the drivers and go back to the older ones again. I first tried this by removing the mx 400 from the device manager, but Windows just automatically reinstalled it each time. Then I figured out that you have to remove it via the add/remove programs dialog (which might I add is incredibly unorthodox). However, when I installed the older ones again, I got an error that Windows (wich btw is Windows 98 SE) couldn't detect them and it made me reinstall the newer ones again! Help!

I have one other quick question. Is the geforce2 mx 400 supposed to support texture alpha blending (as alluded to above), or is it just incapable of it?

PCarr78
07-28-02, 05:02 PM
i have never heard of this problem before.

Exactly which versions of the driver are you using

Cloral
07-29-02, 08:14 PM
I dunno. It won't tell me.

PCarr78
07-29-02, 08:18 PM
Try the latest 30.30 drivers off NVIDIA's website

what do you mean it wont tell you?

Cloral
07-29-02, 08:24 PM
:confused:

There is no 30.30 download available at the nVidia site! The last one they have that I can see is 29.42, which I tried downloading and installing again just to see, and it prevented Windows from booting! I even did a search on their site for 30.30, and it returned 0 results.

As for the driver version, Windows will only tell me the date, which it lists as sometime in september last year. This makes no sense to me.

volt
07-29-02, 08:30 PM
I don't remember new dets being added to nvidia's databse :confused: Current version is still 29.42. So you might try those or 30.30

http://www.guru3d.com/files/

Videocard Drivers -> NVIDIA detonator drivers -> Detonator 30.00 Windows 9x/ME

Cloral
07-29-02, 08:53 PM
OK. I got the drivers. When I tried to install them, it says:

"Wizard Error - Could not find nView on your system. Please reinstall."

:confused: I'm trying to do the initial install! How can I reinstall when I can't install in the first place?

Wolfie
07-31-02, 12:38 AM
do you have the orginal cd? if you do delete everything and put that in. and then upgrade drivers. i think the cd has the nview thing on it.

wolfie

Cloral
07-31-02, 01:06 AM
Never got a CD - it came installed on my computer. And none of the other versions seem to want nView, just the new one.

SavagePaladin
08-01-02, 10:57 AM
If nView is screwing with you, some earlier drivers did NOT uninstall, and when you tried to install over them you may have created a problem. I don't know.
You'll need someone with a better memory than me to tell you how to fix that.
____
it may have been as simple as me not rebooting when i was supposed to, if i had that issue

Cloral
08-01-02, 04:01 PM
I removed the earlier versions using Detonator Destroyer. They should have been completely gone.

SavagePaladin
08-01-02, 10:35 PM
sounds like a hardware error to me, either heat related or just bad hardware.
I really couldn't say.
My system gets all wierd on me if my vidcard overheats

Wolfie
08-01-02, 10:44 PM
cloral see if this helps any:http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nview_tutorials

wolfie

:)

Cloral
08-01-02, 10:53 PM
First of all, I just want to say thank you to all of you who have taken time to try to help me out so far.

The tutorial for nView says to start it by connecting a second monitor. I don't have one. Nor does it show up when I right-click the desktop.

I don't think it is a hardware issue - I had it working well for a while under the older drivers (although that doesn't seem to be the case anymore), and it works perfectly fine under Linux. So it must be some sort of software conflict or bug.

digitalwanderer
08-02-02, 03:13 PM
Whenever I re-install on 98se I always:

1. Un-install thru "Add/remove programs", DON'T REBOOT!

2. Run DetDestroyer, un-install, DON'T REBOOT! (Thanks to whoever wrote that, GREAT utility! :) )

3. Open up Windows Explorer and goto the C:\windows\inf\Nvagp.inf (or some drivers call it "Nvaml.inf", whatever starts with "Nva") then goto C:\windows\inf\other and delete NVIDIANVAGP.INF (or whatever is named "Nvidia" in there, if there's more than one delete all of them...but only the nvidia ones!) While you've got explorer open, go ahead and delete your entire C:\Program Files\RivaTuner directory. (You gotta re-install it each time clean.)

4. Goto your start menu, goto 'Run', type in "msconfig" and hit return. Goto the start-up tab and uncheck RivaTuner, DON'T REBOOT!

5. Goto the run box again and type in "regedit". BE CAREFUL IN THERE AS SCREWING UP WILL HOSE YOU'RE BOX!
Under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NVIDIA Corporation" highlight the "NVIDIA Corporation" bit and hit the delete key. Confirm when asked. Then goto "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation" and delete it also. In that same directory there will be a branch called "Unwinder", highlight and delete that as well. ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Unwinder", Unwinder is the author of RivaTuner and that's where all the RivaTuner settings are kept. ;) )

6. Reboot. (FINALLY!)

7. Let it auto-search for a driver on reboot, if it finds the default adapter you've got a clean bill of health. Follow the prompts to install & reboot.

8. Install new drivers, re-install RivaTuner RC11.1

Ta-da! Simple, eh? With a little practice it takes less than 3 minutes. (My personal record so far is about 2... ;) )

Cloral
08-02-02, 06:11 PM
:eek:
You'd think they'd be simpler than that to uninstall.

Anyway, I got that to work (thankfully). Unfortunately, none of the newer versions (29.42, 30.30, 30.82) work for me. Instead, they make Windows gracefully crash at startup. I put 21.83 back on, as it was lying around my desktop. However, this version still has the 'DOS screen mode' issues as outlined above. I think the version I had been running where things worked like they were supposed to was even earlier than this, so I'm going to go into the archives at 3d Guru and try a few. I'll let you know how that goes.

digitalwanderer
08-02-02, 08:53 PM
My GF2 MX400 (Abit T400, technically. ;) ) had no problems with any drivers up to the 30.30s, I upgraded her with the 8500 2 days before the 30.82s came out so I'm not too sure about those. :)

Cloral
08-02-02, 10:17 PM
Well, the 14.70 drivers still seem to have this problem, but to a lesser extent. Whereas before when I ran the DOS prompt full-screen my computer would crash, now the prompt just looks messed up. I can alt-tab out of it and continue to use the computer. So at least this is a step in the right direction. I'll try even earlier ones and see if it is any better.

Also, I get random green flashes on the windows logo screen. I only get those with the nvidia drivers - when using the 'standard vga adapter' option, it doesn't do that.

edit:
Hmmm... with 12.42, I can actually see the maximized DOS prompt. However, when I try to leave it, the whole screen goes green. Also, the flashing during the windows logo at startup has been becoming less and less the further back I go. I'll try another version...

...11.00 doesn't do it either. Also, it lists it as MX instead of MX/MX400, which I'm sure is what it was listed as when it worked. So I've stopped going back and put 21.83 back on. At least windows starts under it. But what could be causing this dos issue? I know it must be related to the drivers in some way because every time I switched driver versions, the problem changed nature somewhat.

sebazve
08-03-02, 03:49 PM
Do you have your windows with all the ****ing things updated? You could try that with Windows Update, microsoft realeses tons of little patches for their buggy windows. Who knows?

Cloral
08-10-02, 04:10 PM
I have been keeping up with the windows updates. However, it should be noted that it was working relatively fine until I updated the drivers.

Nv40
08-27-02, 04:27 AM
1) install direct3d 8.1 ,
2)intall the drivers that worked in your pc

if none of this works ,you will get better results
re-formating your Pc and reinstalling Windows 98..

test your card in a computer friend ,
also try WindowsXP ,it have all the drivers you will
need .. windows98se is a very unstable operating system..
you will be a happer man ,when you install windowsxp in your pc :)

Cloral
08-27-02, 05:01 PM
1) I already have DirectX fully updated.
2) My computer came with this card, WindowsXP, and this problem. Doesn't say much for Gateway that they would ship a computer that doesn't work properly. :rolleyes:
I took XP off the computer because it wasn't working very well, and 98SE has been working better than XP did. But then again, Linux is working better for me than either of them. And the detonator drivers for Linux work well and don't have this problem. Infact, the only reason I still boot into windows sometimes is that many of my games, such as tony hawk 3, are for windows.

h_happy
08-28-02, 05:32 AM
And in addition search your INF path, whether there are some oem*.inf contain "Nvidia". Delete them all.

That's clean now.

Cloral
08-28-02, 02:25 PM
I've done that every time I've switched driver versions, trying to find one that works. No dice.