PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot GOTY...

Tyr-Sog
12-24-06, 06:30 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/special_features/bestof2006/gameofyear/index.html?page=2

(cheers)

Scunner
12-24-06, 06:44 PM
Good choice.

Zelda Zealot's gonna be pissed.

(aaa)

Banko
12-24-06, 06:51 PM
So apparently their reasonings to make this GOTY is:

Graphics
Gore

Wow what a bunch of morons.

ENU291
12-24-06, 06:57 PM

Graphics
Gore

The only morons are the anti-MS fanboys that refuse to give props to Gears of War. Weither you like it or not Gears of War is a triple A title and deserves all the attention is has received. Gamestop GOTY and all! (xmasgrin) (cheers)

Gaco
12-24-06, 07:04 PM
Wow Gears of War takes A LOT of 1st places there.. fully deserved IMO, best action game I've played in a long, long time.. However I do feel that Zelda perhaps needed a little more attention, but I'm not that upset, the other games are good picks as well (xmasmile)

Besides Zelda is actually nominated in quite a few categories.. Man I cannot wait for the next Super Smash Bros (xmasgrin)

Gamespot actually does GotY awards a lot better than reviews..

Banko
12-24-06, 09:04 PM
The only morons are the anti-MS fanboys that refuse to give props to Gears of War. Weither you like it or not Gears of War is a triple A title and deserves all the attention is has received. Gamestop GOTY and all! (xmasgrin) (cheers)
It is a good title but I don't think it deserves GOTY.

Namrok
12-24-06, 09:23 PM
It's hard to get angry about it. Personally I wouldn't say Gears of War is GOTY, but I cannot deny its a great contender, and past that its all about a site's personal bias. Honestly I can't say there was any game this year that totally blew me away as being true game of the year material like we've seen in past years. I mean truly the only contenders were Zelda on the Wii and Gears of War on the 360, and it's all about which site has more fanboys for one or the other.

Banko
12-24-06, 09:48 PM
It's hard to get angry about it. Personally I wouldn't say Gears of War is GOTY, but I cannot deny its a great contender, and past that its all about a site's personal bias. Honestly I can't say there was any game this year that totally blew me away as being true game of the year material like we've seen in past years. I mean truly the only contenders were Zelda on the Wii and Gears of War on the 360, and it's all about which site has more fanboys for one or the other.
I agree only games this year I played a lot are: Company of Heroes and NWN2.

Replayed those at least 3 times, while the other games I played once.

toxikneedle
12-24-06, 09:49 PM
GOW is by far my game of the year, but apparently it's too "standard" for people to be a game of the year, or its not 800 hours long.... I won't argue because argueing opinions is about as smart as talking to a wall.

Peoples-Agent
12-25-06, 02:51 AM
Gears was my GOTY just for the technical achievement alone.
Like "How can a 300 games console DO THAT?" came to mind.

Ruined
12-25-06, 03:00 AM

Been using that statement a lot lately, eh ;)

Gaco
12-25-06, 04:51 AM

Graphics
Gore

If you watched their video, they actually said something like "but the graphics and gore never gets in the way of where the game really shines, the gameplay" or something like that. As mentioned, I think GoW's GotY was well deserved.. (rudolf)

msxyz
12-25-06, 05:02 AM
If there was an Xbox 360 game to be declared "Game of the Year" that was Dead Rising, not Gears of War.

Gears of war is just a decent FPS "done right" although I recon in these days of rushed products and same old soups this is already per se quite an accomplishment.

Gow surely had the merit of bringing the duck-run-cover concept typical of stealth/strategic shooters in a more traditional FPS setting and I should also add that this is, for me, the first console shooter where I don't suffer from the absence of the trusty and very effective mouse+kb combo.

But this isn't enough to make it a "GotY". Gears has its flaws, particulary in the SP campaign. Epic forgot to add a storyline to their game. They left in on the "emergence day" pamphlet they distributed at the time of E3. The result that the player spends 10 hrs blasting through hordes of aliens (are they aliens, btw?) without any story induced motivation; sometimes it's even hard to figure why certain elements are brought in (Marcus mansion, the bomb on the train, etc...) Then the combat system sometimes gets in the way of the action instead of helping. Many times I found myself not performing the desired action (taking cover instead of diving or the opposite) because I wasn't exactly facing a wall or, on the contrary, I happened to be too close to an object. The stupid consolish save system doesn't help either, just a nuisance to prolong a too short game.

While I playined Gears of War, it constantly remeberd me of Pariah and not only because the Unreal Engine v2.5 used on the PC employs similar effects (minus the improved lighting) but because most of the elements seen in GoW were also present in that somehow underrated game. Ruined industrial settings, the earth ravaged by a war (uhm... I think I've seen it elsewhere >:] ), a whole level on train with gun emplacements, enemies that are able to take cover and coordinate their attacks, a non-existant and boring story...

Now that I brought my case against GoW, I'll try to explain why, imho, Dead Rising is a more meriting game. First and foremost: innovation. Navigating through a level chocked full of monsters surely isn't anything new. But surviving for a given time in a place were the monsters are the norm, adapting to use differnt objects while performing different tasks in a most credible, lifelike way is really an unprecedented experience.

It should be noted that Dead Rising is a game that owes much to the computational power of todays hardware as it would have been very difficult (if not impossible) to implement the concept on past consoles. In this regard, Dead Rising is truly a "next gen" game because it uses the power of the Xbox 360 not only for a better visual experience (which is a given as the hardware improves over years).

People mentioned that GoW is a technical achievement, but Dead rising in that respects its incredible, too.

six_storm
12-25-06, 09:57 AM
If there was an Xbox 360 game to be declared "Game of the Year" that was Dead Rising, not Gears of War.

WHAT?!!?? Are you serious? DR was a great game, don't get me wrong, but GoW kicked that in the ballz and pwned it before it even came out!

Gears of war is just a decent FPS "done right" although I recon in these days of rushed products and same old soups this is already per se quite an accomplishment.

FPS? Are you sure about that? ;)

But this isn't enough to make it a "GotY". Gears has its flaws, particulary in the SP campaign. Epic forgot to add a storyline to their game. They left in on the "emergence day" pamphlet they distributed at the time of E3. [/quote]

If you bought the CE, you would know what's going on. Also, this game is part one of a trilogy, or at least it's rumored to be that way. (And if you saw the ending, you'd feel the same way lol)

Then the combat system sometimes gets in the way of the action instead of helping. Many times I found myself not performing the desired action (taking cover instead of diving or the opposite) because I wasn't exactly facing a wall or, on the contrary, I happened to be too close to an object.

The combat system is fantastic, you just have to get used to it. Took me a little bit to get the hang of it but I got there.

The stupid consolish save system doesn't help either, just a nuisance to prolong a too short game.

Never understood why people bitched about the save system. It's almost like Halo is set up, except divided into Acts and Chapters. I know that you can't play a coop and SP game at the same time, but there is a way around that. Play one at a time!!! :D

Now that I brought my case against GoW, I'll try to explain why, imho, Dead Rising is a more meriting game. First and foremost: innovation. Navigating through a level chocked full of monsters surely isn't anything new. But surviving for a given time in a place were the monsters are the norm, adapting to use differnt objects while performing different tasks in a most credible, lifelike way is really an unprecedented experience.

I dunno about a "unprecedented experience" . . . .

It should be noted that Dead Rising is a game that owes much to the computational power of todays hardware as it would have been very difficult (if not impossible) to implement the concept on past consoles. In this regard, Dead Rising is truly a "next gen" game because it uses the power of the Xbox 360 not only for a better visual experience (which is a given as the hardware improves over years).

People mentioned that GoW is a technical achievement, but Dead rising in that respects its incredible, too.

Sorry, but I'd have say that GoW is a huge leap in technical achievement over DR. To not say that GoW is a next gen game is crazy.

Gaco
12-25-06, 10:21 AM
^Agree with six_storm (xmasmile)

Mathesar
12-25-06, 10:57 AM
Hrm yea thats a tough choice ... GoW is a great game with unmatched graphics (I liked gamespots comment "GOW feels like it fell out of the future"), but Zelda TP is also excellent in fact I havent touched my 360 since I started playing it lol .. 49 hours in and still going...

(xmassign)

Gaco
12-25-06, 11:05 AM
Hrm yea thats a tough choice ... GoW is a great game with unmatched graphics (I liked gamespots comment "GOW feels like it fell out of the future"), but Zelda TP is also excellent in fact I havent touched my 360 since I started playing it lol .. 49 hours in and still going...

(xmassign)
I'm no more than 1 hour into Zelda, so I dunno about that yet (xmasmile)

But Company of Heroes was a very serious contester imo (rudolf)

msxyz
12-25-06, 12:28 PM
Sorry, but I'd have say that GoW is a huge leap in technical achievement over DR. To not say that GoW is a next gen game is crazy.What's so next gen about GoW aside from the graphic engine ? Nothing. That kind of game could have been implemented with the good old Unreal Engine 2 or even with the first. More polys or better lighting do not contribute to the core of the gameplay.

Many people when talking about "next gen" consider only the graphical aspect. Imho what makes a game a truly next gen is a component of gameplay that depends heavily on the new features of the hardware and that cannot be done with past technology. Physics at work (but no more maningless puzzles with boxes, please...), hundreds of characters on screen interacting, advanced adaptative AI routines, etc... that's just a few examples of what would be possible with today consoles. The vast majority of the games I've seen for the Xbox 360 are just true and proven concepts with only a boost in the eyecandy department.

Namrok
12-25-06, 12:37 PM
msxyz, while Dead Rising was a good concept, personally I found it ultimately flawed. Zombies in a mall with everything as a weapon? Awesome! A single save slot, only a handful of weapons you'd actually want to use, controls which could use some serious tightening and boss fights which will drive you insane on account of said sloppy controls? **** that ****.

Maybe Dead Rising 2 will nail it. It's not just that Gears of War has amazing graphics, it's that it is the most highly polished FPS to come out this year, and the only shortcoming is that it is light on story.

Banko
12-25-06, 01:08 PM
msxyz, while Dead Rising was a good concept, personally I found it ultimately flawed. Zombies in a mall with everything as a weapon? Awesome! A single save slot, only a handful of weapons you'd actually want to use, controls which could use some serious tightening and boss fights which will drive you insane on account of said sloppy controls? **** that ****.

Maybe Dead Rising 2 will nail it. It's not just that Gears of War has amazing graphics, it's that it is the most highly polished FPS to come out this year, and the only shortcoming is that it is light on story.
Prey is better then Gears Of War. It was also polished (If you tell me it wasn't you will look like a fool) It also had a better story, better weapons. Only thing GoW was better in was Graphics.

Gaco
12-25-06, 01:31 PM
Prey is better then Gears Of War. It was also polished (If you tell me it wasn't you will look like a fool) It also had a better story, better weapons. Only thing GoW was better in was Graphics.
..in your minority opinion (xmastong)

toxikneedle
12-25-06, 02:12 PM
dude wha????? Prey's weapons were so cliche and terrible, the main assault rifle produced the most annoying sound ever.... i hated every single gun in that game.

Namrok
12-25-06, 02:54 PM

Prey definitely had its moments. The level design was the best yet. But to be honest I found the actual action a little tame. The running and gunning was extremely simple, and the weapons pretty meh. It was a good game, no doubt. But I'm not sure I'd give it GOTY.

six_storm
12-25-06, 03:52 PM
Prey looked like Duke Nukem 3D . . . I didn't even finish the game it was so BORING!!!!!!

Namrok
12-25-06, 05:03 PM
Prey looked like Duke Nukem 3D . . . I didn't even finish the game it was so BORING!!!!!!

Yeah, same here actually. I keep meaning to go back to it...but I just got Elite Beat Agents...and its so damn good.