PDA

View Full Version : WD 500GB Can't boot, help!

jcniest5
12-25-06, 10:59 PM
Well, last week, I jumped on this great deal from BestBuy and guess what? I can't make this 500GB to boot at all. It's the SATA2 300/MBs WD5000KRSTL. I set it as the Active drive, and installed Windows XP Pro on it. Once the files are finished copying and the PC boots to launch the next phase of the installation, it keeps saying can't boot from this Hard drive. Error booting or something to that affect. I have tried partitioned it as a 100GB, 70GB (and tried it as the 1st or 2nd drive as well) and yet I still can't make it boot. Is there problem with my drive or is it a typical problem drive this big?

Thanks in advance...

ViN86
12-25-06, 11:10 PM
is your CPU or memory overclocked at all?

i had issues like that once. i had to revert back to stock clocks and do a slow format on the drive to get it up and running.

Rayman1968
12-25-06, 11:21 PM
Did the drive come with some software from WD? You may have to use something like that to get it set up.

hirantha
12-25-06, 11:24 PM
is the hard drive showing in BIOS?
maybe a Boot device issue? make sure CD ROM is the first boot device until you finish the XP installation..

yeah SATA have problems with O/C BUS

thats all i can think of.. its been a while since i came accross an issue like that.

Rayman1968
12-25-06, 11:36 PM
Here's a link (http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t20944.html) to a thread where the same problem is discussed.

jcniest5
12-26-06, 01:35 AM
Thanks, guys! No, my system isn't OCed. Everything is at default. I've tried it using the WD software that came with, no go. I've tried it as the only drive, no go. I've tried it with my other drives and set it as the first to boot, still no go. I guess at the worst case, I just go and exchange it for a different one at BB.

jcniest5
12-26-06, 01:41 AM
Okay, I just read that link. I'm going to try change my HD mode to LBA and see if it works. I've already tried FDISK/MBR with no go. Haven't tried FixBoot or the other yet, but if it's the address mode, then I guess neither would work until I change its mode. Thanks guys! Will update...

jcniest5
12-26-06, 02:06 AM
Changing the addressing mode to LBA did the trick. Thanks, guys!

ViN86
12-26-06, 11:56 AM
niiiiice (xmasgrin)