PDA

View Full Version : vga to dvi help

aaahhh52
12-26-06, 04:49 PM
Ok so i just got a viewsonic 19"widescreen lcd for xmas. I have my pc hooked up with the vga coming from the monitor into a vga-dvi adapter into my vid card. Now i want to be able to play my xbox 360 with this monitor too, so i have another vga to dvi adapter, but the input for the dvi on my monitor is missing the 4 pins that surround the elongated flat pin. Now am i on crack or is something wrong here, mind you this is my first lcd and ive never used dvi before but what could be the problem?

thats what my vga to dvi adapter looks like, but the input on my monitor is missing the holes for the 4 pins? what gives is there another adapter?

aaahhh52
12-26-06, 11:55 PM
bump

Roadhog
12-27-06, 12:13 AM
I think you can only convert from DVI to VGA with one of thoes little things.. not VGA to DVI?

aaahhh52
12-27-06, 01:11 AM
well i have a femal vga into a male dvi adapter, er well maybe thats what im trying to do, convert dvi into vga, i dunno maybe its all the same, but any dvi adapters ive looked at has the 4 pins surrounding the flat one and my dvi input on the monitor does not have holes for those 4 pins, im quite confused (santa2)

agentkay
12-27-06, 02:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Well its either a DVI-D (D means digital ONLY) single or dual link input on your LCD and as the name says you are out of luck connecting a VGA-DVI adapter to a DVI-D input.

Of course its quite possible that Im wrong here because this stuff confuses the **** out of me. :lol:

Stoneyguy
12-27-06, 06:07 AM
-Warning, I'm far from an expert on this-

from Wiki: The long flat pin on a DVI-I connector is longer than the same pin on a DVI-D connector, so it is not possible to connect a male DVI-I to a female DVI-D by removing the 4 analog pins

I'm not sure what kind of connection is coming from the 360 but I'm assuming that it's DVI-I. If that's the case you would need an adaptor that has a female DVI-I and a male DVI-D. You would attach the male DVI-D to the back of your monitor and then plug the Xbox cable into the female DVI-I. Here (http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=83-9871&CMP=datafeeds&ATT=froogle) is a link to one.

*edit*-Nevermind, I now see what connection the 360 has. You would need an adaptor with a male DVI-D and a female VGA. Being one is Digital only and the other Analog I don't see how it would work.

Does your Videocard not have a DVI output?

ViN86
12-27-06, 07:42 AM
Ok so i just got a viewsonic 19"widescreen lcd for xmas. I have my pc hooked up with the vga coming from the monitor into a vga-dvi adapter into my vid card. Now i want to be able to play my xbox 360 with this monitor too, so i have another vga to dvi adapter, but the input for the dvi on my monitor is missing the 4 pins that surround the elongated flat pin. Now am i on crack or is something wrong here, mind you this is my first lcd and ive never used dvi before but what could be the problem?

thats what my vga to dvi adapter looks like, but the input on my monitor is missing the holes for the 4 pins? what gives is there another adapter?
from what ive heard you can do it with a box to convert VGA to DVI, but i looked for some a while back and theyre pricey.

you dont have a monitor with VGA to connect to the XBOX360? thats weird that they dont include VGA inputs anymore on some monitors... :(

this could be way off, but maybe a DVI->Component converter will do the trick? (if the component signal is not digital, then it wont...)

saturnotaku
12-27-06, 07:48 AM
There's a very easy solution, and it's quite inexpensive - a KVM switch. I purchased a Linkskey two-port switch with USB and audio from Newegg for less than $30. Plug the monitor into the port on the side of the unit, then use one of the included cables to connect your PC. The Xbox 360 VGA cable plugs directly into the other port on the KVM.

KVM switch product link (http://www.linkskey.com/detail.php?Productid=188&ProductName=LKU-S02ASK)

ViN86
12-27-06, 07:52 AM
There's a very easy solution, and it's quite inexpensive - a KVM switch. I purchased a Linkskey two-port switch with USB and audio from Newegg for less than $30. Plug the monitor into the port on the side of the unit, then use one of the included cables to connect your PC. The Xbox 360 VGA cable plugs directly into the other port on the KVM.

KVM switch product link (http://www.linkskey.com/detail.php?Productid=188&ProductName=LKU-S02ASK)
does that go from VGA to DVI? i couldnt find a DVI port in the specs. (tbh i dont know how it works :confused:)

saturnotaku
12-27-06, 07:56 AM
For such a cheap switch, the image quality is surprisingly good for both the PC and X360. The audio is subject to interference, but some tweaking of the settings within Windows and adjusting the audio of my speakers cleared it up for the most part.

ViN86
12-27-06, 08:07 AM
i was thinking he needed something more like this:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_ADC-converter.html

converts DVI-D to VGA

saturnotaku
12-27-06, 08:14 AM
i was thinking he needed something more like this:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_ADC-converter.html

converts DVI-D to VGA

Now that I read the OP again, it seems as though his LCD has VGA and DVI inputs. His PC is connected via VGA and now he wants to connect his 360. If that's the case, he should just buy a DVI-D cable to connect his PC to that input and then connect the 360 to the VGA input on the monitor. Decent DVI cables can be had for $10 or less, and all he would have to do is switch between the inputs on the monitor.

ViN86
12-27-06, 08:29 AM
Now that I read the OP again, it seems as though his LCD has VGA and DVI inputs. His PC is connected via VGA and now he wants to connect his 360. If that's the case, he should just buy a DVI-D cable to connect his PC to that input and then connect the 360 to the VGA input on the monitor. Decent DVI cables can be had for $10 or less, and all he would have to do is switch between the inputs on the monitor.
k i just re-read the OP too. i agree with sat :)

(btw, use a VGA xbox360 cable)

aaahhh52
12-27-06, 01:02 PM
Ohh...yes thank you, that makes sense, the monitor was supposed to come with a dvi cable but i dont think mine came with one. yes right now my pc is hooked up via vga from the monitor into a vga-dvi adapter into my vid card. So pretty much just get a dvi cable, connect directly to vid card and monitor and use the vga cables for the xbox to the monitor. Makes sense! one more question, once i get everything hooked up and i have both my pc and xbox running, do i just use my nvidia display settings to switch over to the xbox? and if so how do i switch back to my pc? Thank you all very much for the help so far, and thanks to whoever figured out i had a dvi-D!

ViN86
12-27-06, 01:17 PM
Ohh...yes thank you, that makes sense, the monitor was supposed to come with a dvi cable but i dont think mine came with one. yes right now my pc is hooked up via vga from the monitor into a vga-dvi adapter into my vid card. So pretty much just get a dvi cable, connect directly to vid card and monitor and use the vga cables for the xbox to the monitor. Makes sense! one more question, once i get everything hooked up and i have both my pc and xbox running, do i just use my nvidia display settings to switch over to the xbox? and if so how do i switch back to my pc? Thank you all very much for the help so far, and thanks to whoever figured out i had a dvi-D!
selecting the source should be done through the monitors interface (via a menu or something probably, where you can select the source). this is because the PC has nothing to do with the xbox, theyre just connected to the same monitor.

aaahhh52
12-27-06, 01:25 PM
Awesome, just looked up the setting. :thumbsup: Thanks everybody for all your help!