PDA

View Full Version : PS3 HDMI

Pages : [1] 2

Marvel_us
12-26-06, 07:28 PM
Questions for you guys that are using HDMI.

How do you go about using your audio? Do you go through your TV or do you go through your receiver?

If you use your receiver, what connection do you use to get it there? If HDMI goes to your TV how does sound get to the receiver?

GamerGuyX
12-26-06, 07:32 PM
You have to go through your receiver. The receiver decodes the audio and sends the video through to the HDTV.

Marvel_us
12-26-06, 07:37 PM
Ah ok. Another question then...

If you weren't dealing with HDMI inputs, instead you used HDMI to DVI via an adapter. How would you get audio from your PS3? Would optical work and if so would that be the only option?

|MaguS|
12-26-06, 07:40 PM
HDMI to TV
Optical Audio to Reciever

I have the same basic setup for my PS2, Xbox and X360. (except for HDMI, PS2/Xbox use Component while X360 is on VGA)

Marvel_us
12-26-06, 07:47 PM
What about if my receiver doesn't have optical inputs? Time to get a new one?

|MaguS|
12-26-06, 07:56 PM
ya... loser

Marvel_us
12-26-06, 07:58 PM
ya... loser

:o

Thanks for the responses.

Bad_Boy
12-26-06, 08:05 PM
:o

Thanks for the responses.
Just curious, what receiver do you have?

GamerGuyX
12-26-06, 08:08 PM
Would optical work and if so would that be the only option?

It would work but you wouldn't get the benefit of being able to listen to lossless sound in surround.

|MaguS|
12-26-06, 08:09 PM
It would work but you wouldn't get the benefit of being able to listen to lossless sound in surround.

I personally never heard a real difference but then again, im not an audiophile. My next move is 7.1 though... does anything really use it though?

Marvel_us
12-26-06, 08:28 PM

Sony STR-DE345

http://www.epinions.com/elec-Audio-Components-Receivers-All-Sony_STR-DE345

I've had it for quite a while now so I don't mind purchasing a new one.

I had the Panasonic XR-57 in mind, which should be able to accomplish what I need and fit into my budget. If you guys have any others for suggestion please list them.

With the Panasonic I would be able to have lossless as well.

evilchris
12-26-06, 09:36 PM
I personally never heard a real difference but then again, im not an audiophile. My next move is 7.1 though... does anything really use it though?

There is an enormous difference between Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+. There is an enormous difference again between Dolby Digital+ and True HD. Anyone can hear the difference provided their system has enough audio resolution to reproduce it. Hearing the difference between DVD sound and HD DVD sound is as striking and apparent as watching HDTV compared to the old.

There is no 7.1. The closest thing to it would be DTS ES Discrete which is 6.1. PLIIx applied to 5.1 works pretty well for "7.1" though.

|MaguS|
12-26-06, 09:40 PM
There is an enormous difference between Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+. There is an enormous difference again between Dolby Digital+ and True HD. Anyone can hear the difference provided their system has enough audio resolution to reproduce it. Hearing the difference between DVD sound and HD DVD sound is as striking and apparent as watching HDTV compared to the old.

There is no 7.1. The closest thing to it would be DTS ES Discrete which is 6.1. PLIIx applied to 5.1 works pretty well for "7.1" though.

You probably need to blast to detect these differences but considering I never made my walls shake since I got my system. I dout I would ever really hear the difference since again, Im not an audiophile.

Rakeesh
12-26-06, 10:20 PM
What about if my receiver doesn't have optical inputs? Time to get a new one?

Don't worry about optical anyways, it was sh*t compared to coaxial. But both are obsolete now in either case.

Bad_Boy
12-26-06, 10:33 PM
Sony STR-DE345

http://www.epinions.com/elec-Audio-Components-Receivers-All-Sony_STR-DE345

I had the Panasonic XR-57 in mind, which should be able to accomplish what I need and fit into my budget. If you guys have any others for suggestion please list them.

Ah, I'm not sure but I dont think the Panny XR-57 accepts 1080p over HDMI. Again, I'm not 100% sure on that so you might want to check. If you dont have a 1080p TV it might not be a big deal anyways, it should do up to 1080i fine.

Heres a thread @ AVS talking about that receiver specifically.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=680833

I'm using an old receiver as well, and plan on upgrading sometime in spring or summer next year. I'm no audiophile either so I'm not in a rush.

Lyme
12-26-06, 11:11 PM
As receivers go, Magus you fell into a marketing trap. When a receiver says "Dolby digital ready" doesn't mean it does Dolby digital decoding. As in the case with your receiver it only passes the signals through.

Now there are many different receivers you can get, with a whole lot of different options. Typically, if you buy a home theater in a box, or all the discrete parts the most important part of the equation is that, it plays music well, and not anything else.. Lets face it, for a receiver aka stereo who cares if it will upsample a tv signal.. get a tv to do that.

The next thing you want to do is ensure that
a) the inputs on the receiver are what your equipment uses
b) the speaker outputs support the ohms, wattage, etc of your speakers
c) you understand the controls (you need to setup speaker placement in a dolby digital system)
d) the decoding options are both processed in the unit and support all the kinds you'll use.

Myself, I went with a home theater in a box (dolby digital decoding 6.1 speaker system) http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1001239 to be exact. It only has two digital inputs, but that is all I need: 1 - digital tv box, 2 - xbox 360. As a plus it was cheap and the speakers are small enough to mount them on the ceiling (which I did). Also HTB system generally come with everything you need in one box, but are typically missing a number of the cool wizbangs.

Surfing a number of web sites on what the reviewers recommend is always a good idea, going to sound store and listening.. especially where there is a sales guy looking to make a sale, isn't particularly good.

|MaguS|
12-26-06, 11:18 PM
You don't even know what reciever I have... the only thing I have mentioned about it in this thread is that I use Digital Audio with it...

Lyme
12-26-06, 11:41 PM
You don't even know what reciever I have...

You may want to go back and read your posts on page 2 of this thread. Especially the post that reads like this:

Sony STR-DE345

http://www.epinions.com/elec-Audio-C...Sony_STR-DE345

betterdan
12-27-06, 12:11 AM
:rofl Marvel_us posted that not Magus and it was on page 1 not page 2.
I know Canada has some problems with Gib living there and all but has their reading comprehension really gone that far down hill? ;)

|MaguS|
12-27-06, 12:13 AM
You may want to go back and read your posts on page 2 of this thread. Especially the post that reads like this:

Errr... wow... um no...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=23071&stc=1&d=1167196371

Mr_LoL
12-27-06, 02:37 AM
Rofl. I think lyme will be too embarrassed to show his face in this thread again (xmasgrin)

betterdan
12-27-06, 04:57 AM
Rofl. I think lyme will be too embarrassed to show his face in this thread again (xmasgrin)
Well at least he showed his ass. ;)

Marvel_us
12-27-06, 09:32 AM

Yea, Lyme that was my post but it's all good. The receiver I currently have was bought when I was younger and didn't know much or even knew about forums, lol. Thanks for the info though. The receiver you linked to doesn't seem to have any HDMI inputs. Is that right or did I miss it somewhere?

Ah, I'm not sure but I dont think the Panny XR-57 accepts 1080p over HDMI. Again, I'm not 100% sure on that so you might want to check. If you dont have a 1080p TV it might not be a big deal anyways, it should do up to 1080i fine.

Heres a thread @ AVS talking about that receiver specifically.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=680833

I'm using an old receiver as well, and plan on upgrading sometime in spring or summer next year. I'm no audiophile either so I'm not in a rush.

I'm aware that it won't pass a 1080p signal but that's okay. My TV only does up to 1080i but one of the concerns I have with that receiver is the dodgy bass levels.

I just want to get a digital video/sound from my setup without buying a new TV(mine only has DVI for digital). I don't think you can get lossless from PS3 through optical. So if the audio signal goes to the receiver through HDMI and the receiver then outputs it to the TV via HDMI, I should be able to use the DVI adapter.......someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.:o

Lyme
12-27-06, 11:12 AM
Yea, Lyme that was my post but it's all good. The receiver I currently have was bought when I was younger and didn't know much or even knew about forums, lol. Thanks for the info though. The receiver you linked to doesn't seem to have any HDMI inputs. Is that right or did I miss it somewhere?

You didn't miss anything, it doesn't have hdmi inputs. I was simply illustrating what I bought, and I don't use the svideo inputs/output on it either. I simply use it for sound.

Can't answer you on your ps3 questions as I don't have one. But the point is that if you pick your receiver for the purpose of only doing sound and leave the video parts to your tv, you generally don't need any other inputs on your receiver other than a optical input (which I imagine the ps3 should have). ie: optical spdif from ps3 to receiver, composite or vga or dvi or hdmi from ps3 to tv. Rather than putting your video through your receiver then to your tv. However in the end it is your money to do with what you want.

Lyme
12-27-06, 11:14 AM

Well there are two things:
a) I was trying to constructively help, even though I made a mistake on who was who.
b) Any argument on the internet, win or loose, you still come out a idiot.