PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo Extreme's GOTY awards 2006

SH64
12-26-06, 10:05 PM
Another reasonable list of awards .. & again Oblivion/CoH take the cake (xmasgrin)
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/752/752385p1.html

Best Strategy Game: Company of Heroes
Best Role-Playing Game: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Best First-Person-Shooter: Prey
Best Action/Role-Playing Game: Titan Quest
Best Expansion: Half-Life 2: Episode One
Best Multiplayer Game: Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
Best Graphics (Technology): The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Best Art Direction: Titan Quest
Best Innovative Feature: Portal and gravity effects in Prey
Best Adventure Game: Tomb Raider Legend
Best use of an IP: Tom Clancy
Underdog of the Year: Galactic Civilizations 2
Best Story: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Best Audio: F.E.A.R. Extraction Point
The Best Game No One Else Liked - Rise of Legends
Publisher of the Year: THQ
Worst Trend of the Year: Premature Ejaculation :D
Worst Game of the Year: American McGee's Bad Day L.A.
Best Console Game: Gears of War
Overall Game of the Year: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

SH64
12-27-06, 03:32 AM
But "Best use of an IP: Tom Clancy"... huh?
Best use of an IP: Tom Clancy

Developed and Published by Ubisoft

Why it won: I'll give you three good reasons: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Splinter Cell Double Agent and Rainbow Six Vegas. Sure, the PC ports could use a little love, but over time Ubisoft eventually patches them up to the state they should be in. You do need a shader 3.0 capable video card and load of ram to even play, but a high-end PC with a DX10 video card makes them look even better and run smoother than even their 360 counterparts.
Not sure what IP exactly means here , but you get the idea.

zampe
12-27-06, 04:02 AM
Best Multiplayer Game: Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

absolutely deserved!!!
I hope this step will help much for the growing community of RO

CaptNKILL
12-27-06, 05:53 AM
Yep, that was a good list. :)

I'm glad Oblivion is getting the attention and awards it deserves. There are some people who don't like it, sure, but where a lot of people were introduced to Morrowind as their first RPG, Oblivion really took it to the next level. Tons of people love it. It has a huge amount of replayability. Beautiful graphics. Its available for X360 and PC. The modding community is immense and extremely active. Its accessible yet deep (even more so for people who take the time to install some plugins).

Seems like an easy choice this year.

nekrosoft13
12-27-06, 06:11 AM
Yep, that was a good list. :)

I'm glad Oblivion is getting the attention and awards it deserves. There are MANY people who don't like it, sure, but where a lot of people were introduced to Morrowind as their first RPG, Oblivion really took it to the next level. Tons of people love it. It has a huge amount of replayability. Beautiful graphics. Its available for X360 and PC. The modding community is immense and extremely active. Its accessible yet deep (even more so for people who take the time to install some plugins).

Seems like an easy choice this year.

like me (mikec)

oblivion is not an real RPG,

crainger
12-27-06, 06:18 AM
like me (mikec)

oblivion is not an real PRG,

It is a real RPG though.

CaptNKILL
12-27-06, 06:19 AM
It is a real RPG though.
:lol:

Mr. Hunt
12-27-06, 06:48 AM
IP= Intellectual Property I believe.

nutcrackr
12-27-06, 06:49 AM
User voted list isn't it? At least that's what it says when RO won best MP. Don't agree with all of the list but that doesn't mean it's a bad list, most choices are pretty reasonable.

nekrosoft13
12-27-06, 09:41 AM
It is a real RPG though.

you funny (mikec)

its not a real RPG either

queth
12-27-06, 03:43 PM
oblivion has no replayablity. Once you seen something why do i want to see it again? I couldn't even finish the first time, damn oblivion gates got sooooo boring and all yuou have to do is invis through the game.

crainger
12-27-06, 04:09 PM
you funny (mikec)

its not a real RPG either

It's still better than a lot of real RPGs

oblivion has no replayablity. Once you seen something why do i want to see it again? I couldn't even finish the first time, damn oblivion gates got sooooo boring and all yuou have to do is invis through the game.

This is true. When I played through my second time I used mods to disappear all but the quest Oblivion gates and I ignored all but the quest dungeons thanks to BT mod. It found I was able to get more into the main quest without distractions and it was pretty fun. It's also pretty cool to see how the general population react if you do the Main Quest and Kot9 Quest, then do the Dark Brotherhood Quest. They refer to you as a fallen Knight, fits my character (Ninja Vampire) pretty well. There is a fair bit of Role Playing to do. You just have to know how to.

SH64
12-27-06, 04:51 PM
you funny (mikec)

You're funny .. sorry couldnt resist (xmastong)

Ywap
12-27-06, 05:19 PM
Dark Messiah should have won the best game of all time award.....

...but got no love at all :(

OWA
12-27-06, 06:15 PM
I like this list. I've heard of and played most of the games on the list and it gave props to Prey so that's an added bonus. :)

crainger
12-27-06, 10:25 PM
You're funny .. Sorry couldn't resist. (xmastong)

Ah I missed that?!

I found something else though.

SH64
12-28-06, 12:22 AM
Ah I missed that?!

I found something else though.
O'RLY?!

nekrosoft13
12-28-06, 06:15 AM
You're funny .. sorry couldn't resist (xmastong)

you funny (mikec)

hirantha
12-28-06, 06:30 AM
Dark Messiah should have won the best game of all time award.....

...but got no love at all :(

DM has been receiving bad rating all around, the latest Games for Windows Mag formally known as CGW gave the game 4 out of 10... I played the game too, the game is beautiful and the game play is nice I donít know whatís wrong with people not giving this game some decent rating.

CaptNKILL
12-28-06, 06:55 AM
DM has been receiving bad rating all around, the latest Games for Windows Mag formally known as CGW gave the game 4 out of 10... I played the game too, the game is beautiful and the game play is nice I don’t know what’s wrong with people not giving this game some decent rating.
I wouldn't call it game of the year (far from it) but I thought it deserved a decent 7\10. The graphics were gorgeous (though a bit of a CPU hog) but overall the game was pretty clunky and glitchy. If you did anything slightly different than they intended (whether it was the way you attacked enemies or the way you went about completing an entire level) the glitches started showing up. It wasn't really unstable for me, but there were so many glaring problems with just about every part of the single player story (as well as the combat system, which was the main focus of the game) that its hard to give it higher than a 7.

I'd call it a great game that was unpolished to the point of being just "good".

When everything worked correctly it played great though. Hopefully they can polish their next game to avoid this kind of thing in the future. They are great developers but they just let too many things go IMO.

BTW, I just got done putting some hours into Red Orchestra (first time playing it since getting it for Christmas) and I can say that this is definitely THE best multiplayer game I've played in a while. It reminds me of all of the best old mods (Firearms, old Day of Defeat, Desert Combat) and I can really just sit down and have a great time. With my new router my pings are fantastic and I no longer get disconnects (my old Linksys would disconnect randomly in ut2004 and RO). And with my x-fi in headphone mode on my Sennheiser HD212 Pros the game sounds absolutely amazing. The positional sound and the EAX effects are out of this world. This is easily the best sounding game I've ever heard. I crank up my volume and jump into a trench and it really sounds like I'm in the middle of a battle. It helps my game a ton too... I could pinpoint enemies anywhere, even behind me (thanks to the CMSS-3d effects on the x-fi) and it was easy to tell when someone was running\shooting behind a wall or out in the open because of the reverb and occlusion effects.

My new Belkin Nostromo N52 is growing on me too. I don't know if it really has any huge advantages over a standard keyboard, but I pwned many-a-nazi in RO with it and I had no problems doing so, so it definitely isn't hurting my game.

DarkJedi664
12-28-06, 08:48 AM
I'm sorry, but how the hell can they say Tomb Raider Legends was the best action game of the year?? Have they even played Dreamfall??? THAT was the best action game of the year, by far. Tomb Raider was boring after awhile, and ran like piss on older cards. And Dreamfall should have gotten game that no one played as well. I do love the fact they gave Prey so good props; I loved that game, it deserved WAY better than the crappy reviews gave it.

CaptNKILL
12-28-06, 09:51 AM
I'm sorry, but how the hell can they say Tomb Raider Legends was the best action game of the year?? Have they even played Dreamfall??? THAT was the best action game of the year, by far. Tomb Raider was boring after awhile, and ran like piss on older cards. And Dreamfall should have gotten game that no one played as well. I do love the fact they gave Prey so good props; I loved that game, it deserved WAY better than the crappy reviews gave it.
Dreamfall isnt even close to an action game...

You can actually skip all of the action sequences in the game, and there arent even that many.

Besides, its considered an adventure game but the developers call it more of an interactive movie\story.

I haven't played Tomb Raider though (played the demo of the first one and 2 levels of the second one and that was all I could take of that series :p) so I can't comment on that.

DarkJedi664
12-28-06, 10:57 AM
I'm retarded, I meant Adventure game; but I stupidly wrote action game...

Banko
12-28-06, 11:26 AM
Amazingly I agree with everything except Oblivion.

Banko
12-28-06, 11:27 AM
like me (mikec)

oblivion is not an real RPG,
I agree with him, NWN2 is closer to a real RPG then Oblivion is and is better.