PDA

View Full Version : Forceware 81.xx and 7900gt ?

ahheadlock
12-27-06, 02:25 AM
Hey all,

First post here :)

I've seen a couple of threads where people have suggested that using 81 series drivers with Vista works better than the current crop of beta's that are floating around. Since the actual vista drivers are pretty horrible, i'm keen to give this a try. I found forceware 81.98 on guru3d.com and have tried to install, but my card isn't listed (7900gt). Is there a modded inf i can try? Or perhaps another forceware revision that supports my card and works with vista?

any help would be appreciated, otherwise i'll just keep holding my breath with the rest of you for useful vista drivers.

ps. merry xmas :P

aydc
12-27-06, 04:39 AM
I tried 81 series on my 7900GS. I modded the inf and installed, but Vista didn't even boot. Of course I might have missed something...

grey_1
12-27-06, 04:55 AM
Welcome! Afaik no ones ever found a confirmation on the rumor that certain XP drivers will work with Vista. I think it would take a heck of a lot more than just a modded inf. :)

aydc
12-27-06, 05:02 AM
We still want to try it.

If someone can help us make 81.xx series drivers work with 79xx cards on XP, we'll try the same for Vista. :)

ahheadlock
12-27-06, 05:15 AM
Welcome! Afaik no ones ever found a confirmation on the rumor that certain XP drivers will work with Vista. I think it would take a heck of a lot more than just a modded inf. :)

yeah i was slightly sceptical about it working, but i figured it was worth a try. I'd gladly lose aero to get game performance back for a little while until decent vista drivers are released. Oh well.

Trizae
12-28-06, 01:18 AM
Well it isn't really a rumour i'm using Vista and 81.97 XP drivers and the performance is unbelievable! I don't mind sacrificing the aero to get better than xp performance in games until they release more mature vista drivers so if you're good with modding inf's give them a try.

ahheadlock
12-28-06, 07:32 PM
what is involved in modding the inf file? If someone can tell me what has to be done i'll give it a shot, but if its too complicated to explain then its probably best i leave it alone.

grey_1
12-28-06, 08:08 PM
Well it isn't really a rumour i'm using Vista and 81.97 XP drivers and the performance is unbelievable! I don't mind sacrificing the aero to get better than xp performance in games until they release more mature vista drivers so if you're good with modding inf's give them a try.
Your the first i've heard confirm this definetly. Lots of folks would love to see that inf of yours! ;)

Trizae
12-28-06, 10:20 PM
isn't really a case of me modding the inf i actually just used some XG81.97drivers that I had laying around my harddrive for awhile after doing some research on xp drivers on vista they are the only ones that do not crash Vista and until they make some better gaming drivers they will have to do don't think there would be too much to add the 7800 of yours as my 6800GT was already included in the drivers

Slammin
12-29-06, 02:47 AM
I've seen where some have gotten 81.97 XP drivers to work on Vista but still, no Sli.