PDA

View Full Version : Need a KVM

superklye
12-27-06, 12:27 PM
Now that Iíve got a 3007WFP for my machine, Iíd like to get a KVM to allow hooking up a Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player to the monitor. Since the 3007WFP only has a single DVI-D input for video, Iíd need a KVM that allows switching between my computer at 2560x1200 to the HD DVD player (preferably also at its native resolution).

I canít seem to find any KVMs that offer that resolution (the highest Iíve seen is 1920x1200), but itís sort of hard to check while at work.

Does anyone know of any good, relatively cheap KVMs that would offer that resolution? Or, hell, some sort of switcher that would allow me to plug a DVI-D cable and perhaps component or an HDMI cable into it to switch between the computer and the HD DVD player.

ViN86
12-27-06, 02:23 PM
the HD-DVD player should have a max resolution of 1080p (1920x1080) so that KVM will cover that. as for the 2560x1600 res.... hmmm...

(PS the 3007 is awesome, but this is why i went with a 2407, cause it has 5 input sources :o, not to mention the fact i cannot afford the 3007 lol)

superklye
12-27-06, 02:27 PM
the HD-DVD player should have a max resolution of 1080p (1920x1080) so that KVM will cover that. as for the 2560x1600 res.... hmmm...

(PS the 3007 is awesome, but this is why i went with a 2407, cause it has 5 input sources :o, not to mention the fact i cannot afford the 3007 lol)
It actually only outputs 1080i, but still...

Anyway, I posted in the HD DVD discussion thread that I found one, actually:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2950

Except, it's $400. :( Amazon has it for $280, but that's still pretty expensive. I just wish I could find some reviews on it, specically using an HD DVD player as one of the inputs. I'm sure it'd work, but still...I don't want to be the first to try it out, you know?

And yeah, I know that the 2407 has more inputs, but I've wanted a 30" for so long and I figure that monitor'll really give the 8800s a run for their money. :)

saturnotaku
12-27-06, 02:50 PM
Except, it's $400. :( Amazon has it for $280, but that's still pretty expensive. I just wish I could find some reviews on it, specically using an HD DVD player as one of the inputs. I'm sure it'd work, but still...I don't want to be the first to try it out, you know?

You should check and see if there are any local stores by you that may carry it. Buy it for full price and check it out. If it works well, return it and then buy online. If that doesn't work, Amazon's return policy is pretty generous. It's a bit of a hassle having to ship something, but at least you can print out a pre-paid label and such.

superklye
12-27-06, 02:53 PM
You should check and see if there are any local stores by you that may carry it. Buy it for full price and check it out. If it works well, return it and then buy online. If that doesn't work, Amazon's return policy is pretty generous. It's a bit of a hassle having to ship something, but at least you can print out a pre-paid label and such.
Sweet...thanks for the heads-up. :)

Best Buy doesn't carry it, but I'll have to see if anyone else does. I have a feeling big chains probably aren't going to have it.

saturnotaku
12-27-06, 02:55 PM
Best Buy doesn't carry it, but I'll have to see if anyone else does. I have a feeling big chains probably aren't going to have it.

You're probably going to have to look at specialty and/or high-end electronics stores. I'm willing to bet most of the drones that work at the big-box chains don't even know what DVI is. ;)

Edit: Looking at Gefen's site, there appears to be a dealer right in Milwaukee that carries their stuff. Here's the site:

http://www.mwmg.com/

They're located at 316 N. Milwaukee St. Phone (414) 226-2226. Might be worth calling them. Otherwise there appear to be some other distributors in the greater Chicago area.

superklye
12-27-06, 03:06 PM
You're probably going to have to look at specialty and/or high-end electronics stores. I'm willing to bet most of the drones that work at the big-box chains don't even know what DVI is. ;)

Edit: Looking at Gefen's site, there appears to be a dealer right in Milwaukee that carries their stuff. Here's the site:

http://www.mwmg.com/

They're located at 316 N. Milwaukee St. Phone (414) 226-2226. Might be worth calling them. Otherwise there appear to be some other distributors in the greater Chicago area.
Haha, yeah, I just got to that website like a minute before you posted it. :) I'll give them a call tonight after I get home. I have Friday off, so hopefully I can swing by there then. I'm not exactly sure where Milwaukee street is, but I think it's downtown maybe a mile or two from my apartment, so I seem to have really lucked out. :D

saturnotaku
12-27-06, 03:09 PM
Hopefully that place sells them and has a decent return policy. Wouldn't want you to get stuck with a really expensive switch that you can't take back. :o

superklye
12-27-06, 03:09 PM
The more I look at their site, though, the more it seems like they're a custom solutions builder rather than a store that just sells products. Hmmm...

EDIT:

Hopefully that place sells them and has a decent return policy. Wouldn't want you to get stuck with a really expensive switch that you can't take back. :o
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. I'll definitely have to give them a call to find out what it is they do exactly and if I can actually buy parts without having to spend $10,000 in some crazy A/V setup.

saturnotaku
12-27-06, 03:12 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. I'll definitely have to give them a call to find out what it is they do exactly and if I can actually buy parts without having to spend $10,000 in some crazy A/V setup.

If they don't sell directly, I would ask if you could either borrow one (leave a CC as collateral) or bring your A/V stuff to them and hook it up to see if it will meet your needs. A little good will can go a long way.

superklye
12-27-06, 03:13 PM
If they don't sell directly, I would ask if you could either borrow one (leave a CC as collateral) or bring your A/V stuff to them and hook it up to see if it will meet your needs. A little good will can go a long way.
Good call. (rudolf)

I'm getting so excited about all this. I'm not getting anything done at work at all. :p

saturnotaku
12-27-06, 03:15 PM
I'm getting so excited about all this. I'm not getting anything done at work at all. :p

Hell, I'm excited for you. And I'm not getting anything done either and am seriously contemplating leaving in about 20 minutes. I'm one of only a handful of people in the office this week. :D

superklye
12-27-06, 03:19 PM
Hell, I'm excited for you. And I'm not getting anything done either and am seriously contemplating leaving in about 20 minutes. I'm one of only a handful of people in the office this week. :D
HahahaÖitís great how the excitement of new hardware can spread like it does. :D

There are only about 100 people in the building today (out of over 2000 on a normal day) and two of those 100 had to be my direct supervisors.

And of course, I didnít know they were going to be in until I strolled in 30 minutes late this morning and got the stink eye from both of them. Whoops. :o Now Iím spending my entire afternoon looking up specs on ridiculously high-end A/V equipment I donít need, but want with a firey passion.

saturnotaku
12-27-06, 03:22 PM
HahahaÖitís great how the excitement of new hardware can spread like it does. :D

There are only about 100 people in the building today (out of over 2000 on a normal day) and two of those 100 had to be my direct supervisors.

And of course, I didnít know they were going to be in until I strolled in 30 minutes late this morning and got the stink eye from both of them. Whoops. :o Now Iím spending my entire afternoon looking up specs on ridiculously high-end A/V equipment I donít need, but want with a firey passion.

Oopsie. :lol:

My direct supervisor is on temporary assignment in our other building. I'm pretty sure he's in this week, so I hope he doesn't come by here later. I may just leave my computer on so it'll look like I've only stepped out for a bit.

superklye
12-27-06, 03:23 PM
hahahaha genius!

Put up a note that says, "Gone fishin'." :p

betterdan
12-27-06, 03:37 PM
GET BACK TO WORK!

:p

Now make sure you post your impressions of the Toshiba player after you get it. I love the 360 add on but I may get a full out player soon.

Marvel_us
12-27-06, 03:43 PM
GET BACK TO WORK!

:p

Now make sure you post your impressions of the Toshiba player after you get it. I love the 360 add on but I may get a full out player soon.

That would make for a very good, "360 add-on vs. Toshiba A2" thread.

How about it if you have the time superklye?(xmasgrin)

superklye
12-27-06, 03:49 PM
Well, Glowstick posted a review of this KVM in the HD DVD discussion thread and, along with some info I read in the product's online manual, now I'm not so sure I'm going to be making this purchase so soon. :(

EDIT: Here are the posts I was talking about...

I rember that company, anandtech reviewed that model i think. You should check it out

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2573&p=2

Pritty much, they have some valid complaints about it, so if your setup will be something like that you may want to consider looking for another solution.
Thanks for that link, dude. I did a sloppy Google of the SKU and all I could really find was sites selling it. It looks like it’s an okay piece of hardware (and that review is almost 2 months old, so I’m not sure how much has changed since they posted it), but I looked at the online manual for this and it said specifically about the Dell 30” that users would have to unscrew/open up the KVM and adjust the internal EQ as well as the external ones in order to get picture to be “perfect” or whatver.

That sort of makes me uneasy. For $280+, I shouldn’t have to do that. I fear I may have to put my Toshiba HD-A2 purchase on hold for a bit. :(

ynnek
12-27-06, 07:29 PM
heh.. with those prices.. I'd be tempted just to get a short cable to connect to the LCD panel.. Then plug/unplug/plug either you computer or DVD player or what not to it.. and save the actual monitor port plug from any wear and tear.

Its kinda ghetto.. but I don't see why that wouldn't work?

superklye
12-27-06, 07:35 PM
heh.. with those prices.. I'd be tempted just to get a short cable to connect to the LCD panel.. Then plug/unplug/plug either you computer or DVD player or what not to it.. and save the actual monitor port plug from any wear and tear.

Its kinda ghetto.. but I don't see why that wouldn't work?
not a bad idea...I'll see what I can find at Best Buy in a few minutes...

ViN86
12-27-06, 08:01 PM
not a bad idea...I'll see what I can find at Best Buy in a few minutes...
UPDATE YOUR SIG!!! :D

superklye
12-27-06, 11:16 PM
I will when I get back. I got the last HD-A2 in the city, so I'm very much looking forward to hooking it up tonight or tomorrow and seeing how it looks on this monitor. :D