PDA

View Full Version : Faulty PSU?

nV`andrew
12-27-06, 07:21 PM
ughh.. so i spent about 2 hours today putting in my OCZ GameXStream 700W SLi PSU. i checked so many times to see if everything was in correctly, it was. the only thing different about this PSU and my Antec SmartPower 400W is that the OCZ's ATX 12V connector cant reach wheres it supposed to go on my mobo(labeled atx 12v). not sure if this is the problem or not.

the problem is: my graphics would not display. all the lights would go on, all fans worked, but nothing would show up on the screen. i ended up throwing the 400W back in(which im on right now and works fine). is the psu faulty, or is it because that stupid connector cant reach the other end of my mobo? (eVGA nForce 4 SLi)

J-Mag
12-27-06, 07:24 PM
So you are saying that you didn't attach the secondary ATX connector?

nV`andrew
12-27-06, 07:32 PM
So you are saying that you didn't attach the secondary ATX connector?

i got the 24 pin one in, but yes, it was impossible to connect it to the second one. the cables are sleeved, im assuming i may be able to cut the little sleeve on it so that can connect

aaahhh... i feel like such a retard

EDIT: so this is the problem right? i wasnt sure, because it was the graphics that wouldnt display

J-Mag
12-27-06, 07:38 PM
EDIT: so this is the problem right? i wasnt sure, because it was the graphics that wouldnt display

Well yeah, both ATX connectors need to be plugged in to work. Some mobos will work with the 3rd (usually a 4pin HD type molex or mini 4pin molex) unplugged when running a single GPU.

nV`andrew
12-27-06, 07:45 PM
Well yeah, both ATX connectors need to be plugged in to work. Some mobos will work with the 3rd (usually a 4pin HD type molex or mini 4pin molex) unplugged when running a single GPU.

alright thanks....i guess i will be putting that PSU back in tomorrow as long as i can cut the sleeving wihout cutting any wiring (xmasgrin)

its a good psu btw, the layout/setup of the sleeved wires is awesome. a lot cleaner looking and not as much of a mess as my antec

Roadhog
12-27-06, 08:39 PM
yep you need that plug... Just get an extension.

Xion X2
12-28-06, 12:39 AM
If you're talking about the 4/8 pin, that's the CPU power connector. And you can buy an extension for it on performancepcs.com