PDA

View Full Version : Odd Apple rumor...

msxyz
12-28-06, 02:18 PM
Why a rumor regarding Apple in the console forum ?

Well, a site claims Apple is going to announce its comeback in the console market (the last time it was a failure with the Pippin) during the next Macworld. Surprisingly the console won't be an iPod compatible hand-held but a fully fledged home console called "iPlay".

The site also has an image taken from a now gone thread which appeared over at the official Apple comunity forums.

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_noticia.php?pic=360&id=cw4592f46c184d0

Though I've decided to report the news, I don't believe it's true. Looking at the included image, which displays a concept render as well as the "official" specs, there is also something suspicious: it's said that the console will come with a built-in HDDVD while everyone knows that Apple is a supporter of the Bluray standard. Unless Apple has decided to follow HP and to support both HD formats, it's unlikely to see HD-DVD implemented in any Apple product in the near future.

Macworld will be held in S. Francisco the next 8th January, so the truth will be known very soon.

|MaguS|
12-28-06, 02:22 PM
Fake.... Indeo as their GPU? Thats just asking to be a failure... So much of the listed specs are just stupid... Lucas THX? I never heard of such a sound chip... compatible with Mac games and Dreamcast? So they developed an OS that can run both Mac and Windows applications finally?

parallel is spelled wrong... IBM developed a Quad Core PowerPC running at 3.8Ghz? LOL The thing would go up in smoke...

Marvel_us
12-28-06, 02:23 PM
That thing sure does have a lot of memory. I highly doubt this thing is real though.

Controller: Wireless with vibration, 3 axes movement sensor (not spectral). Integrated mic, speakers and webcam in pad.

Lol, wonder how that would look.

Tyr-Sog
12-28-06, 02:24 PM
Do they have pockets deep enough to gamble by venturing in to a cut throat industry such as consoles? Mighty risky eing there's already 3 major players out there and hardly room for a 4th. I don't think just the sucsess of the ipod would carry over to well in to the console market. But what do I know. (xmasmile)

saturnotaku
12-28-06, 02:30 PM
According to the link in the OP, it says it has a Blu-Ray drive. I can see a system like that being maybe the next Mac Mini, but a console? I think we can chalk that up to notgonnahappen.com.

Besides, using the iPod as the storage device? That's country dumb.

msxyz
12-28-06, 03:02 PM
According to the link in the OP, it says it has a Blu-Ray drive. I can see a system like that being maybe the next Mac Mini, but a console? I think we can chalk that up to notgonnahappen.com.

Besides, using the iPod as the storage device? That's country dumb.
Look at the image of the "leaked" brochure: http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_IMGS/GENERAL/noticias//IMG2-cw4592f73de5605/iplay_pr.jpg ; it says HD-DVD

Magus, THX is a certification program for sound devices (or AV material, even videogames) meeting certain requirements.

As for the other comments, I clearly stated that I don't believe that thing is real. Maybe a Mac fanboy wet dream ? ;)

toxikneedle
12-28-06, 03:13 PM
one of the outputs listed is 720i.... do TVs even support 720i?

Toss3
12-28-06, 03:20 PM
I smell (bs2)!

Rakeesh
12-28-06, 04:46 PM
That sounds like this:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/12/hands-on-with-the-apple-itv-prototype/

Apple is a pretty gay company.

LiquidX
12-28-06, 07:04 PM
Being able to play Dreamcast games gave it away but for a long time now there has been a rumor apple would come out with some sort of game system so I think its bound to happen. Many other rumors on yet to be released products have turned out to be true.