PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD AACS protection cracked?

Pages : [1] 2

LiquidX
12-28-06, 05:59 PM
Both BluRay and HD DVD uses it but BR they say have a second layer of protection which makes it harder to crack. Some guy says he has cracked it which to me was inevitable.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/27/aacs-drm-cracked-by-backuphddvd-tool/

nekrosoft13
12-28-06, 06:58 PM
good

Banko
12-28-06, 07:03 PM
Wasn't blu-ray already cracked through the PS3 and linux?

LiquidX
12-28-06, 07:14 PM
Wasn't blu-ray already cracked through the PS3 and linux?

Well it kind of was in that they claim they were able to dump a game but unable to do anything with it. Not sure how it would relate to movies though being that BR has a second layer of protection and can be subsequently updated if cracked.

toxikneedle
12-28-06, 07:29 PM
other than the youtube video I haven't seen anyone rip any other HD-DVDs. The decryption keys aren't out yet... January 2nd is what I hear..

Lyme
12-28-06, 08:30 PM
That isn't a crack, that is a decoder being shipped with the aacs keys.

Mr. Hunt
12-28-06, 08:35 PM
I don't want to download 30 gigs :\.

Banko
12-28-06, 09:22 PM
That isn't a crack, that is a decoder being shipped with the aacs keys.
Meh it shouldn't be too hard to crack, and I'm pretty sure the HD movies on usenet that are on blu ray and hd-dvd are cracked somehow. (they are 15 to 30gb in size)

Morrow
12-28-06, 09:51 PM
Meh it shouldn't be too hard to crack, and I'm pretty sure the HD movies on usenet that are on blu ray and hd-dvd are cracked somehow. (they are 15 to 30gb in size)

Actually ACSS is really hard to crack and will still take a while until someone manages to crack it.

This tool is useless because the codes of future ACSS protected titles will be changed and no longer be allowed to play back on PowerDVD 6.5. So the problem starts again from the beginning and another solution to decrypt ACSS movies needs to be found until ACSS is really cracked.

The movies on usenet are not cracked and they have not been ripped from HDDVD or bluray. Those are capture HD movies from HD channels which are not encrypted at all.

toxikneedle
12-28-06, 09:54 PM
There are no HD-DVD or BD movies on usenet. The only HD movies available are caps from HD television broadcasts.

Ruined
12-28-06, 11:03 PM
Its worth saying that there hasn't actually been any third party confirmation that this "crack" actually works...

But that being said I did some research on the subject.

Here is the OP of the utility maker:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=119871

Unfortunately for us, even if it did work though as described by the author it does not "crack" HD DVD/Blu-Ray's AACS in the same way that we think of DeCSS or DVDecryptor "cracking" DVD's.

Looking at the post of the author of the utility, it appears one of the recently released software HD DVD/Blu-Ray players did not sufficiently encrypt the actual movie title keys in memory when playing back the movie (let's say PowerDVD 6.5 in this case). Therefore, this utility allows the user to "decrypt" and play current movies (with some footwork - you need to find the keys for yourself - it doesn't just run automatically) using a title key found within an active PowerDVD 6.5 session memory dump - however future HD DVD/Blu-Ray movies & drives will then add PowerDVD 6.5 to their blacklist and PowerDVD 6.5 will be unable to access future HD DVDs and therefore title keys will no longer be obtainable using the insecure player software. Your drive will be automatically updated with the latest blacklist via standard movie discs. PowerDVD 6.5 users of course will need to upgrade their software since it will be considered an insecure player - I'm sure this is one of the reasons ethernet jacks are mandatory in HD DVD players as even if one of the standalones players is found insecure and blacklisted it can be easily updated w/ net firmware.

Therefore, if it is legit at best this crack only allows hackers to "crack" both HD DVD/Blu-Ray content released this year. Next year's releases will revoke PowerDVD 6.5's decrypt deviceID and hence everyone will lose the method to find the title keys using this method for HD DVD/Blu-Ray discs authored/reauthored in 2007... Unlike CSS (which had a very limited set of keys), using this method with AACS is more of a cat-and-mouse game, with each new movie able to ban an unlimited number of insecure players/devices.

When AACS will really be cracked is when they are able to bypass player revocation, but that has not been accomplished... yet

Also, AACS is Blu-Ray's main line of defense as well. It's other layers BD+ and ROM-Mark are pretty worthless if AACS is compromised.

toxikneedle
12-28-06, 11:46 PM
it would still be nice for the current HD-DVD titles that are out.... but yeah I don't see this doing any benefit for future stuff.

evilchris
12-28-06, 11:50 PM
it would still be nice for the current HD-DVD titles that are out.... but yeah I don't see this doing any benefit for future stuff.

Why would stealing be nice?

superklye
12-28-06, 11:51 PM
Why would stealing be nice?
He's a witc--BD supporter! BURN HIM!

toxikneedle
12-29-06, 12:10 AM
No for backup purposes it's nice. i dont know about you but there are plenty of DVDs that I had to backup because the disk got so scratched my DVD player would stutter when playing the movie. Reburning the disk fixed that.

Not to mention that if you're talking about stealing, these are still 30GB files we're talking about here....

superklye
12-29-06, 12:14 AM
No for backup purposes it's nice. i dont know about you but there are plenty of DVDs that I had to backup because the disk got so scratched my DVD player would stutter when playing the movie. Reburning the disk fixed that.

Not to mention that if you're talking about stealing, these are still 30GB files we're talking about here....
I was just kidding. (rudolf)

Bman212121
12-29-06, 07:25 AM

That means you can get 20 movies a month before your ISP kicks you. :)

toxikneedle
12-29-06, 01:27 PM
That means you can get 20 movies a month before your ISP kicks you. :)
yeah and how many can you upload? 1?

Gnu_Raiz
12-29-06, 02:20 PM

That's a good point, but we all know a good paid server when we see it right!:spank:

All this talk about 30 gig downloads really show just how much lack of knowledge that some people have. I would suggest a search about Usenet and read some FAQs.

I have to agree with Toxik, most Usenet HD content is HD-TV. But then we know that if you can view it you can copy it. I would never say that some HD content is not done in this way.

I also don't see how piracy enters the equation here, some dude owns the disc, wants to make a legal back up. Or watch it on his computer this all falls within the fair use doctrine. The studio's hate it, the **aa hate it but it is legal.

ViN86
12-29-06, 02:42 PM
saying that AACS is uncrackable is like how they said the Titanic is unsinkable.

it will happen, just give it some time. and 15-30GB downloads arent really feasible yet. the down stream is definitely there, but ppl's upstreams are not. of course, thats where torrents come in handy, hehe.

and according to the DMCA, all of this is illegal, as it is a means of circumventing protection. backing up is technically illegal as per the DMCA.

toxikneedle
12-29-06, 04:08 PM
Well as far as ISPs, that's gonna be a big problem. Even though DVDs have been ripped for years now, the majority that pirate movies, don't download the DVD-Rs they download the quarter sized xvids or divx rips. The HD-TV torrent community is very small and usenet is very unknown aswell, although a lot of us here on these forums know about it. Most likely what will happen is they will rip the HD-DVD/BDs and encode em to like a 720p sized xvid or vc1 file that's smaller. But the way things are right now, if people started releasing 30GB movies, not many would be able to pirate them. Not to mention that there are no HD-DVD burners yet....

Gnu_Raiz
12-31-06, 02:42 PM
Who need's HD-DVD burners, if the content is uploaded let the user decide what format they want it in. We have 700 GB drives now, we have Blu-Ray burners if the content is media netural let the user decide.

As far as having a backup of DVD's being ilegal, I would just point you too all the companies who have backup software available. One could make a case against it for the dmca, but then you need to consider fair use. You just can't discount one legal doctrine because it's against your business model.

As far as upload speeds go yes it might take you a while to upload all that data, but people upload that much data all the time. Just follow or look at all the new posts in one of the Usenet groups get's in a day. As far as torrents are concerned this would only be an option if say business decided to provide HD content for download. In a situation like this I think Usenet would see this first, as it is mostly anonymous has redundancy and is available everywhere. In a case like this having a paid server is a must, but as we all know this has been the case for some time.

Is the internet optimized for 30 GB movies, probably not but it is doable, even if the ISP offer more bandwidth do you really think your going to see a big leap in performance? At least in America unless you have fiber to the house your dependant on the local node. I have a hard time getting more than 1 Mbs downloads as it is, most of the time it's 500 to 750 Mbs thats due to the stupid ISP's. Even if they offered faster speeds I doubt I would see an increase, because they just haven't added the infastructure.

evilchris
12-31-06, 04:10 PM
"Backup copy". What a load of ****.

I've got 10 year old DVD's that are in perfect condition. Unless you're an idiot, DVD's don't get scratched.

SH0DAN
12-31-06, 04:24 PM

I could do allot more then that,my ISP has no caps,written or 'unwritten' Last month I dl'd about 190 Gbs,and uploaded near 175 Gbs (xmasgrin) I
have been doing that almost every month for 3+ years straight.All for a
low 37 a month Cdn !

SH0DAN
12-31-06, 04:29 PM
There are no HD-DVD or BD movies on usenet. The only HD movies available are caps from HD television broadcasts.

Is the picture quality the same ?