PDA

View Full Version : Lines on screen when startup.

siao
12-28-06, 08:45 PM
Hi guys, as above. Recently having this problem when startup, not always though. Like once every 5 startups. Attached is the error message which I took picture of, please advice on what is the problem? Got no idea what is being stated as I'm bad in these IT thingy (snowman) . Currently using 7800GT.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/solunasiao/Image001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/solunasiao/Image006.jpg

Thanks a million,

Siao

hirantha
12-28-06, 08:50 PM
looks like bad VGA RAM.. did you try a diff VGA card?

siao
12-28-06, 08:58 PM
Hi there,
No I didn't as I don't have any spare ones. Could it be the driver itself only...?

Thanks.

hirantha
12-28-06, 09:03 PM
Hi there,
No I didn't as I don't have any spare ones. Could it be the driver itself only...?

Thanks.

what i would do is revove the card wait a like 10 mins put it back in and if it still there then i would try diff drivers or you can try the new drivers first.

malachi1313
12-28-06, 09:10 PM
That's what mine was doing right before it started doing it all the time. Check here for bad resistor value:http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80617 I ended up RMAing my card.

siao
12-28-06, 09:31 PM
That's what mine was doing right before it started doing it all the time. Check here for bad resistor value:http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80617 I ended up RMAing my card.

Hi there, meaning it could be the same issue??? Cause it happens more often now compare to last week. If it is, then maybe I could git it replace as well??(xmasgrin) . Mine still under warranty... Anyway, I think this problem would not be cause by PSU or RAM right?

Oh ya, just recalled back I still have the old ATI X300SE card. If I replace it, how to check everything is ok?

Thanks a million.

SLippe
12-28-06, 09:43 PM
Hi there, meaning it could be the same issue??? Cause it happens more often now compare to last week. If it is, then maybe I could git it replace as well??(xmasgrin) . Mine still under warranty... Anyway, I think this problem would not be cause by PSU or RAM right?

Oh ya, just recalled back I still have the old ATI X300SE card. If I replace it, how to check everything is ok?

Thanks a million.
Uninstall the nvidia display drivers, turn off your machine, pull out the nVidia card and put in the ATI card, then install the latest ATI drivers for that card and see if you still have the lines upon next startup. I'd say your nVidia card is bad by the looks of it. Let us know how the ATI card does.

siao
12-28-06, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys! I have reinstall the drivers just now, and it seem to work fine after a few restarts. Will monitor and update again in few days time.

Thanks for all the advice!

Cheers!

SLippe
12-28-06, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys! I have reinstall the drivers just now, and it seem to work fine after a few restarts. Will monitor and update again in few days time.

Thanks for all the advice!

Cheers!
Cool. Glad it seems to be working now. Good luck.

Blacklash
12-29-06, 12:08 AM
looks like bad VGA RAM.. did you try a diff VGA card?

*whistle*

Whew, that's exactly what it looked like to me. Glad Siao got it sorted out.

malachi1313
12-29-06, 02:14 AM
I swapped drivers and it progressively got worse with time. Hope you didn't have the same problem as I did but be careful. It even did that in safe mode with my card.

siao
12-29-06, 02:44 AM
I swapped drivers and it progressively got worse with time. Hope you didn't have the same problem as I did but be careful. It even did that in safe mode with my card.

Thanks for the kind advice. Will really watch closely for any hiccup again...hope not...finger crossed..

If it really happens again, will send item back for exchange!!!

Thanks once again!

Cheers!

siao
12-31-06, 09:28 AM
Hi guys, just updating the result...It works afterall. Been very good without any hiccup...

Thanks for helping,

Cheers! Happy new year to all!!!(nana2)

siao
01-02-07, 06:32 PM
:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:
It all happens again this morning.....So meaning the card really having some problem? Please advice.

Thanks and regards,

Siao.

lowdog
01-03-07, 04:05 AM
One of my 8800GTX's has started to do this as well (it has the fixed resistor 40C). Was having problems with sli so I did a fresh os install with only 1 8800GTX (thought I would just use 1 card and wait untill nvidia released some decent drivers before using sli again) and found I couldn't even install any version of forceware driver on the card, it would just lock up half way through the driver install with a black screen, so I had to do a hard reboot. It's artifacting all the time now in windows with just the microsoft windows drivers.

Time to RMA this POS 8800GTX, this is the second 8800GTX I have had to RMA because it's been a dud.....way to go Nvidia. :(

siao
01-03-07, 06:10 AM
Well, went down today and got the card chenged. The guy tested the card for only about 1min and he changed it straighht away. Maybe due to the same issue mentioned earlier about the resistor?...

Cheers!

nekrosoft13
01-03-07, 06:49 AM
Well, went down today and got the card chenged. The guy tested the card for only about 1min and he changed it straighht away. Maybe due to the same issue mentioned earlier about the resistor?...

Cheers!

i don't have a clue what some of these people are trying to feed you, but its not a resistor

first batch of 8800 cards had a bad resistor value, pretty much all of them been exchanged out.

you have 7800 series card, what you are experiencing is defective video ram.

which could have been caused by few different issues.

1) Overclock
2) lower quality ram from samsung
3) or it just over heated and went bad.

Lemur.fi
01-03-07, 11:04 AM
Not that we doubt your clairvoyant abilities, but it could still be a faulty / wrong resistor. :p