PDA

View Full Version : 8800gtx or 8800gts....help..../crys

baldbrad
12-29-06, 01:47 AM
ok here is the question i have been asking myself over and over and over and over....you get the idea.....

Any ways i'm building a new comp.Standard high end build from what i have been reading on the boards as of late.

Evga 680i,e6600,2 gigs Cosair xms2 800,seasonic m12 psu,antec p180 case,Zalman 9500 cooler.

One question 8800 gts or GTX,right now i have a 19" crt,will be getting a 20" WS lcd in Sept.

If i go the GTX route will i not get the full performance out of a gtx on a 20' WS at a res of 1600X1050?or just crank all settings to high,max aa ect?

Or is it a better choice to go the GTS route?

I can afford the GTX but im wondering if it will be comparable to buying a Corvette only to never go above 50 mph.....

Xion X2
12-29-06, 01:54 AM
Nah, you'll get good use out of the GTX @ 1680x1050. That's the same res that I'm running at, and games will still occasionally drop below 60FPS (Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas, Flight Sim X).

Also, you'll want high settings. Once you get used to 8x-16xAA, you will not want to go back to less than that. It really cleans up all the rough edges. I always thought it was unnecessary fluff, but now that I've gotten used to it I wouldn't trade it for anything.

SH64
12-29-06, 01:59 AM
Yes go for the GTX & no need to cry :)
like Xion said with the verious amounts of AA/AF you can use you'll never get bottlenecked at that res.

SH0DAN
12-29-06, 02:01 AM
X2 is right,grab the GTX.I too use the same res,and when Crysis comes out (Insert your fave upcoming DX10 game here)you will wish you had grabbed a GTX.

crainger
12-29-06, 02:58 AM
GTX FTW!

baldbrad
12-29-06, 03:21 AM
Ok,done deal,GTX it is.

Just have to mention that the old saying of some one's jaw hitting the floor is for real......my wifes did when she saw the price of the GTX(xmasgrin)

SH0DAN
12-29-06, 04:13 AM
Ok,done deal,GTX it is.

Just have to mention that the old saying of some one's jaw hitting the floor is for real......my wifes did when she saw the price of the GTX(xmasgrin)

Of course it wouldnt be a problem if it was diamond earrings for her.... (xmasgrin)

crainger
12-29-06, 05:47 AM
Of course it wouldnt be a problem if it was diamond earrings for her.... (xmasgrin)

It would be her ear lobes hitting the floor under all the weight of teh Bling.

Uberpwnage
12-29-06, 06:11 AM
Ok,done deal,GTX it is.

lol, I wonder what woulda happened if you were getting a 7800GTX 512 this time last year...those were some fun prices, if you could find one to buy that is.

I just ordered my GTX, gotta say I really wouldnt have felt comfortable with the GTS, it may be fine for now, but DX10 madness hasnt even begun!

c1arity
12-29-06, 06:41 AM
It would be her ear lobes hitting the floor under all the weight of teh Bling.

Wouldn't get good diamonds for theprice of a gtx. :)

I love this GTX and I'm using a 19" LCD. Basically, I just crank everything up and marvel at the beauty that is an 8800 gtx.

SLippe
12-29-06, 07:05 AM
Yeah, I really don't think there is even a question here. Hell, if you can afford it, buy it. I know I would! :thumbsup:

crainger
12-29-06, 07:05 AM
Wouldn't get good diamonds for theprice of a gtx. :)

I love this GTX and I'm using a 19" LCD. Basically, I just crank everything up and marvel at the beauty that is an 8800 gtx.

In AU a GTX is around $1000 AUD. That would net a nice pair of diamond earrings. Then again our Hardware is more expensive and our jewelery is less expensive (70% of the world Sapphires come from my hometown).

baldbrad
12-29-06, 08:06 PM
Well next year is our 10th year married,when we got married we were POOR,i mean eat hot dog's 4 times a week poor,but we both finished up school since then,making good money,so she gets a big rock next year.

Im thinking in the 5000.00 range,so the 1700.oo im spending this year isnt bad:)

Redeemed
12-29-06, 08:17 PM
lol, I wonder what woulda happened if you were getting a 7800GTX 512 this time last year...those were some fun prices, if you could find one to buy that is.

I just ordered my GTX, gotta say I really wouldnt have felt comfortable with the GTS, it may be fine for now, but DX10 madness hasnt even begun!

Umm... not sure why or how you could say that. I'm running two GTSs on a s754 3400 right now. Yet even with this extremely outdated CPU most everygame that I've thrown at it runs beautifully at 1600x1200+ with 16x AA and AF and all in game options maxed. The only exceptions thus far is FEAR: EP and BFME II. And for both titles I'm blaming the CPU as being the main culprit for the poor performance.

I have no doubt that these GTSs will handle Crysis without a problem, though the rest of my rig may not. :p But I'll be upgrading soon (mobo, cpu, ram) anyways so I'm not too worried. ;)