PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Good & Evil problem...

MindBlank
12-29-06, 03:02 AM
So i got BGE because everybody was recommending and praising it, so i decided to have a go with it. I just played till the Mommago garage at the beginning and i have a big problem. Whenever i'm in the hovercraft outside i have this huge framerate drop. I get something like 0.5-1 FPS and it's unplayable. The game runs flawless everywhere else except in this area. Even the controls are semi-unresponsive at times.

I just cant get past... I take it it's a glitch or something with either the game or the drivers (91.28)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Other than that, is the game really that good?

Becoming
12-29-06, 04:00 AM
That's probably the noted bug with AA the game has. Once you lower that down you should be ok (seem to mostly do bad things around water parts while whipping around in the hovercraft).

Gaco
12-29-06, 04:39 AM
When I purchased BG&E some time back I encountered the same problem and searched the official forums and googled it. I found that from a certain version of Forceware, the problem occurred and never ceased to persist. The problem is evident with G6XXX card and up, some say it gets even worse with the G7XXX cards. Try to remove all AA settings, which worked for a very few people, you could be lucky. But unless a solution/patch has been issued in meantime (I guess I played it about 10 months ago) you either have to play the hovercraft sequences in lowest settings and ignore the problem or try to roll back to a waaaay old forceware driver (for specifics on exactly which driver was the last working with BG&E search the forums).

Have fun ;)

CaptNKILL
12-29-06, 06:10 AM
Yep, I had this too on my 7900 gtx and 7950gx2.

Its a known bug related to the water and all geforce 6 and 7 series cards (not sure about 8 but I doubt its any different).

I think some people said you could drop the water quality to low and it improved but as far as I know, this doesn't work for everyone.

Gaco
12-29-06, 09:15 AM
Yep, I had this too on my 7900 gtx and 7950gx2.

Its a known bug related to the water and all geforce 6 and 7 series cards (not sure about 8 but I doubt its any different).

I think some people said you could drop the water quality to low and it improved but as far as I know, this doesn't work for everyone.
Yes it improved to the playable, but not exactly smooth or satisfying both in terms of visual water quality and FPS ;(

Still better than slideshow..

|MaguS|
12-29-06, 09:38 AM
I don't remember having an issue ever with this game... I know it doesn't support AA (which sucks) but it always ran pretty smooth for me.

Gaco
12-29-06, 09:54 AM
I don't remember having an issue ever with this game... I know it doesn't support AA (which sucks) but it always ran pretty smooth for me.
If you played it right when it came it, it's probably because the Forceware drivers weren't screwed up back then..

MindBlank
12-29-06, 10:40 AM
Damn...it's really hard to do anything at 1 FPS. I'll se what i can do.

BTW, what do you recommend i should play the game with - a gamepad or the keyboard?

ynnek
12-29-06, 11:09 AM
i played it all through keyboard and mouse.. It was too much of a pain to get my PlayStation 2 controller setup the way I wanted. YMMV.

It was a cute game.. Surprisingly , a lot more stealth than I expected.

I too played it about right when it came out, and didn't have any problems with my 6800GT.. I forget if I had AA, but i definitely had everything else on high.

Gaco
12-30-06, 04:22 AM
Damn...it's really hard to do anything at 1 FPS. I'll se what i can do.

BTW, what do you recommend i should play the game with - a gamepad or the keyboard?
1 FPS? At least I had about 10-15 FPS and about 20 when I cranked down the resolution/water detail/AA.. It sounds like the problem is worse with each generation .

saumilsingh
01-02-07, 02:35 PM
Open regedit.exe, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ubisoft\Beyond Good & Evil\SettingsApplication.INI\Basic video and manually set "Water Quality" to 0.
Changing it from the setup utility doesn't work most of the time.