PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me I boght a good 8800gtX?

TonyM16
12-29-06, 07:00 AM
Hi, I have bought a 8800gtx from Overlockers.co.uk for 387. It was a BFG. Are they not usually really expensive? The shop is a reputable shop in the Uk and said that the reason they were selling cheap was because they have already sold loadss and have an abundant supply ie literally thousands. Does that sound like a good deal? You think they are telling the truth.

Also I know the BFG brand is good but didn't they sell some bad 8800gtx? Have they corrected that? Anyone with a BFG 8800gtx who has anything to say?

Also how good quality is the BFG version to the others? Will they overclock as good ass other brands like XFX and Gainward?

Thank you.

TonyM16
12-29-06, 07:30 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80617

Scary stuff, but surely that would not still be a problem with new BFG cards?

ATOJAR
12-29-06, 07:41 AM
Well i was about to buy a BFG 8800GTX(because of the lifetime warrenty)very soon, not to sure if i want a BFG brand now though!.... I wonder if theres still any of the defective cards in rotation.

Xion X2
12-29-06, 08:43 AM
BFG's are normally the best Nvidia cards. They usually overclock better than any others and are more reliable; that's the reason they're generally more expensive. They had a bad go this round at the start because of the bad resistor issue (2 of mine played victim to this), but my new watercooled model, as you can see from my sig, is running like a top.

Overclockers.uk is a fairly reputable site and I don't think those guys would intentionally sell defective GTX's. It wouldn't take the user long to realize it was defective; they would get a sudden slideshow while playing games.

Lordedmond
12-29-06, 09:41 AM
they are all they same the come from the same factory ,thats why all the frist batch all had faulty resistors fitted , evga,bfg and all others just stick thier stickers on and bung them in a box

BTW I have a BFG wet one From OcUk they are OK , infact they turn over in ecces of 45 million each year

TonyM16
12-29-06, 09:53 AM
they are all they same the come from the same factory ,thats why all the frist batch all had faulty resistors fitted , evga,bfg and all others just stick thier stickers on and bung them in a box

BTW I have a BFG wet one From OcUk they are OK , infact they turn over in ecces of 45 million each year

WHAATTT. Did you just say that OcUk turn over 45 million pounds a year!!! I thought they only do a few million at the very most. Incredible. I need to open my own PC store ;)

Lordedmond
12-29-06, 10:02 AM
WHAATTT. Did you just say that OcUk turn over 45 million pounds a year!!! I thought they only do a few million at the very most. Incredible. I need to open my own PC store ;)

Read this and maybe you couldhttp://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17669585

Dazz
12-29-06, 11:17 AM
They are the first people to get tech in the UK so can sell them for a premium this will be where they get the money from as they are anything but cheap. I shop with them myself but i look around first.

Lfctony
12-29-06, 01:56 PM
I got my BFG from them for 511! Nobody had them at the time though. :(

J-Mag
12-29-06, 02:02 PM
BFG's are normally the best Nvidia cards. They usually overclock better than any others and are more reliable;

Where'd you get this idea from? I could see the possibility of a small statistical sample of overclocking results, but how can you claim BFG has "more reliable" cards?

Xion X2
12-29-06, 02:33 PM
Where'd you get this idea from? I could see the possibility of a small statistical sample of overclocking results, but how can you claim BFG has "more reliable" cards?

Look around the forums. Although it was a widespread issue, most of the problems with the 7900-series cards have been with XFX and eVGA. Rarely do you see users posting issues w/ BFG's. And in general, the PNY name seems to get trashed left and right (though I have no personal experience w/ their cards). And in the craziness of the 7900GTX fiasco, the BFG cards had fewer reported problems than any other 7900GTX that was being sold on various retail sites, including newegg.

Think that may be one of the reasons BFG's come w/ a lifetime warranty while the others (besides eVGA) don't? Yeah, probably.

I also go by my own personal experience. My first 7900GTX that I purchased showed up on my doorstep DOA, and it was an XFX. My second 7900GTX was one of the few of the first batch of 7900GTX's that ran pretty much flawless and I got a better overclock on it (730/1760) on stock voltage than just about anybody on these forums. It was a BFG. In all that time when forum member after forum member was posting issues with his/her 7900GTX, I don't recall anyone w/ a BFG that did so. Most of them were eVGA/XFX models.

And although I had to suffer through the chaos of the first batch of 8800GTX's w/ the bad resistor issue (which I blame on nvidia, not BFG), my BFG and my buddy's BFG (on air) overclock better than most of the ones I've seen around this place.

Of course I don't expect everyone to agree w/ me, but that's the way I see it. You're free to disagree, as it appears you do.

J-Mag
12-29-06, 02:51 PM
Think that may be one of the reasons BFG's come w/ a lifetime warranty while the others (besides eVGA) don't? Yeah, probably.

XFX has a double lifetime warranty.

I also go by my own personal experience. My first 7900GTX that I purchased showed up on my doorstep DOA, and it was an XFX. My second 7900GTX was one of the few of the first batch of 7900GTX's that ran pretty much flawless and I got a better overclock on it (730/1760) on stock voltage than just about anybody on these forums. It was a BFG. In all that time when forum member after forum member was posting issues with his/her 7900GTX, I don't recall anyone w/ a BFG that did so. Most of them were eVGA/XFX models.

Personal experience is really not an indicator of things as a whole. Anyway, I have had a DOA BFG card.

And although I had to suffer through the chaos of the first batch of 8800GTX's w/ the bad resistor issue (which I blame on nvidia, not BFG), my BFG and my buddy's BFG (on air) overclock better than most of the ones I've seen around this place.

Do you really think forums are a good place to gather statistics?

Even if it was, I seriously doubt that BFG gets better cards from flextronics and it isn't like they are going to throw away the ones that only run well at stock.

Don't get me wrong I have no problems with BFG (even though they did send me a 6600gt when I had to RMA my 6800gt), but the only real differentiator between cards is their respective companies' ability to support their users.

Quick420
12-29-06, 03:07 PM
Scary stuff, but surely that would not still be a problem with new BFG cards?

Only one way to find out....right?(mikec)

Dazz
12-30-06, 06:21 AM
I got my BFG from them for 511! Nobody had them at the time though. :( At the same time i had ordered mine from scan.co.uk and paid 480 for eVGA card but as it had no ETA i changed to a ASUS EN8800GTX for free which was 10 more expensive :D

PeterJensen
12-30-06, 07:30 AM
Mine work fine :)

And who the **** needs double lifetime warranty?

Lfctony
12-30-06, 08:43 AM
At the same time i had ordered mine from scan.co.uk and paid 480 for eVGA card but as it had no ETA i changed to a ASUS EN8800GTX for free which was 10 more expensive :D

Well, I've since discovered another site which is pretty cheap, I think.

www.pixmania.com

They're based in France, and ship with Fedex. Prices are decent I think...

Tony.

Edit: Well, they deliver with Fedex to Cyprus. In the UK they have the standard UK charges...

Dazz
12-30-06, 08:46 AM
Only shopped with them the once that was a Logitech MX1000 which i got months before it came to the UK, funny enough still in use but the power doesn't seem to last as long as it used to about 7 days now down from a month.

cyberbloke
12-30-06, 09:51 AM
I have used Overclockers to buy ram, a sound card and a fan.
On all three occasions the service was excellent.
I'm tempted by the offer myself, but promised myself I would wait a few more months before buying an 8800gtx

PS. There's a post on Overclockers' forum from someone who had bought this card, and says there is a leaflet included in the box saying it has been checked and verified to be free of resistor issues.

TonyM16
12-30-06, 01:40 PM
LOL. That was me. :)

I just got my cards today, and they are definitely perfect in terms of packaging and authenticity. They were brand new and shrink wrapped and had that leaflet in there.

I am very happy with my purchase thus far.

But I shouldn't count my chickens just yet. I need to install the cards and see if they really are working well. Hopefully there is no reason why they shouldn't since they are free of the resistor issue and were new.

Thanks guys for posting in my thread. I appreciate it. I will be updating this thread aswell with my findings once I get the cards up and running.

Any thing I should be aware of with 8800gtx sli on a 680i , that is different to 7800gtx sli on nf4?

Mine work fine :)

And who the **** needs double lifetime warranty?

What could doublelifetime warranty possibly mean? They couldn't possibly mean that if you die, that you will be covered in your next life aswell, could they?(kidding aside I would like to know what it actually means)

OcUk forum says that in the UK XFX'x warranty is very bad and that the double lifetime thingnybob is US only. They said that in the Uk they were refusing to do rma's and such things. I don't know if it's true but thats what I heard on the OcUk forum.

Roadhog
12-30-06, 01:50 PM
BFG's are normally the best Nvidia cards. They usually overclock better than any others and are more reliable; that's the reason they're generally more expensive. They had a bad go this round at the start because of the bad resistor issue (2 of mine played victim to this), but my new watercooled model, as you can see from my sig, is running like a top.

Overclockers.uk is a fairly reputable site and I don't think those guys would intentionally sell defective GTX's. It wouldn't take the user long to realize it was defective; they would get a sudden slideshow while playing games.

They overclock better you say? Uh huh.. Thats why I have 660/2.0 on my air cooled card?

Xion X2
12-30-06, 04:01 PM
^ And I have 2100 on my memory, which is a bit more of a difference than your 10mhz advantage over mine on the core.

Air cooled /water cooled doesn't matter when it comes to overclocking the GTX because it's voltage limited. Benefits you none except to keep your case ambient temp cooler and extend the life of the card. The only way you'll see a benefit with it is with a volt-mod.

Roadhog
12-30-06, 04:03 PM
^ And I have 2100 on my memory, which is a bit more of a difference than your 10mhz advantage over mine on the core.

Air cooled /water cooled doesn't matter when it comes to overclocking the GTX because it's voltage limited. Benefits you none except to keep your case ambient temp cooler and extend the life of the card.

I can go 640/2.2. I run the core higher because there is more than enough memory bandwidth as it is. Plus, why push the memory so hard. Most video card ram doesn't like to be pushed to hard.

john19055
12-30-06, 08:15 PM
They all overclock about the same ,some overclock better then others no manner what brand you buy,I always buy EVGA products because of there warranty plus there step-up program and they have the best support with there support fourms.

Xion X2
12-30-06, 11:18 PM
I can go 640/2.2. I run the core higher because there is more than enough memory bandwidth as it is. Plus, why push the memory so hard. Most video card ram doesn't like to be pushed to hard.

Good for you. What did you use to bench it with to make sure it's not artifacting at that speed or at your current overclock?