PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Nvidia Overclocking Utility?

Bowen
12-29-06, 08:08 AM
I was wondering what the best Nvidia overclocking utility was? I've always used Coobits with Nvidia cards, but because it's not working (or supported) in the latest 93.71 driver, I've had to revert back to 91.47.

I like Coobits because I don't have to run yet another program to take up memory. You just set Coolbits and forget about it! With other programs, you can always see it in Task Manager eating up precious memory. I'd like something similar to that, if something like that exists besides Coolbits.

Also, does anyone know if or when Coolbits will be fixed? Thanx in advance...

SJA06
12-29-06, 10:02 AM
'Rivatuner' is the best without doubt and you don't need to have it running in the background, to enable overclocking etc. Shame the author is an arrogant unhelpful ass at times, but I wouldn't use anything else.

OWA
12-29-06, 11:13 AM
I use ntune but others prefer RivaTuner or ATI Tools.

F_L_C
12-29-06, 12:55 PM
I feel the same way: why install yet another app to do what is already integrated into NV drivers and worked perfectly fine until the 93.xx fkup? They have to fix CoolBits eventually but they have their hands full with G80 and XP as well as all cards and Vista. So of course we with lesser cards will be low priority.

The only lean CoolBits alternative would be Rivatuner if it was completely stripped down to bare essential overclocking, nothing else.

Shocky
12-29-06, 01:32 PM
I still use coolbits.. (xmasgrin)

SLippe
12-29-06, 02:34 PM
Rivatuner FTW.

ATITool = Devil

F_L_C
12-29-06, 02:51 PM
The good thing about ATItool is that it is lean unlike Rivatuner. But I believe that it needs to be running in the background for the 3D app detection to work. Another disadvantage is that it requires two startup entries (nvcpl and its own entry) to work right. If nvcpl is deleted, then gamma settings are messed for the desktop, video, and games. Riva only requires its own startup entry and nothing else. Ntune is a worthles POS. It's also bloated like Riva.

Bowen
12-29-06, 06:17 PM
Thanx guys, I think I'll use RivaTuner if the next time I feel I need to update my drivers and Coolbits still isn't fixed yet. Until then, I'm quite happy with 91.47 drivers and Coolbits currently.

I just reformatted my machine and installed a new X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty sound card and was wondering if somehow the X-Fi drivers were somehow affecting Forceware drivers and Coolbits. I thought this because both sound card and video card drivers are connected through Direct X. I've seen it happen before and although quite rare, I was afraid it was happening to me now. Now I know the drivers are borked and nothing else.

I can handle when something is broken as long as I know what is causing it and now I know....and knowing's half the battle "GI-Joe".