PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 VGA cable question...

thor1182
12-29-06, 04:25 PM
I have a Sony 34" wide tube HD TV that has the component ins and one DVI in. It does the 720P and 1080i. How would the VGA cable be worth getting if I converted it to dvi from vga, or is it meant for sets that have a vga in?

also, could I find this cable @ best buy?

SeriTonin
12-29-06, 04:43 PM
It's mean't for VGA in.

You can find it at best buy, circuit city, gamestop/ebgames, target...pretty much wherever 360 accessories are sold.

thor1182
12-29-06, 04:45 PM
so in other words going from vga to dvi would be a bad idea

ViN86
12-29-06, 04:59 PM
you can go from DVI to VGA with a simple adapter, but goin from VGA to DVI requires an expensive converter.

saturnotaku
12-29-06, 05:12 PM
If you have an extra DVI-to-VGA adapter from one of your video cards, you could try plugging that into the DVI input on your TV. Then connect the 360 via its VGA cable. It may or may not work, but it's worth a try. You can always return the VGA cable if need be.

Cream
12-29-06, 05:18 PM
I'm using the Xbox 360 VGA cable on my LG 32LX2R HD T.V. via the dvi port.
No expensive converters needed just a VGA to DVi converter that came with the T.V. but can be picked up cheap enough.

The advantage that it gives me is a can set the 360's resolution to the exact resolution of my t.v. (1366 x 768 ), the image looks a lot cleaner IMHO, but is slightly washed out compared to component. VGA gets a big :thumbsup: from me.

thor1182
12-29-06, 05:31 PM
just not sure if its worth the effort or not, have to see

Cream
12-29-06, 06:31 PM
just not sure if its worth the effort or not, have to see

There was no effort m8.
Not exactly what I used but one of these.
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/VGA-DVI.html
It is rather weird that another cable I was going to link to says this is not possible, that it has to be the other way round i.e. DVi source to vga connection(t.v.) but mine works :eek2:

One 360 VGA cable

check your DVi port is capable of a P.C. input i.e. you can set the resolution rather than just 720p, 1080i. (Mine has 2 options PC and DTV(digital tv)
plug them in and away you go.

IMHO it does look considerably better.

Zelda_fan
12-29-06, 08:18 PM
you can go from DVI to VGA with a simple adapter, but goin from VGA to DVI requires an expensive converter.

Not true. Only in computer video cards is that possible, and that is becasue computer video cards will output in both DVI-A (dvi analog) and DVI-D (dvi digital signal). Most A/V devices will ONLY output a DVI-D signal through a DVI port, in which case a simple adapter will not work. You would need an active circuit to convert it.

Now to address the original question. Short story, you will get the best quality picture from component via 1080i.
An VGA->DVI-D converter will degrade the image quality. Good quality ones are typically found on high end video processors, and can be quite expensive. If you wanted to spend that kind of money, you might as well buy a new TV.

Cream
12-30-06, 12:23 PM
Now to address the original question. Short story, you will get the best quality picture from component via 1080i.
An VGA->DVI-D converter will degrade the image quality. Good quality ones are typically found on high end video processors, and can be quite expensive. If you wanted to spend that kind of money, you might as well buy a new TV.

I disagree in my opinion VGA looks better than componet on either 720p or 1080i as the image is rescaled by the T.V. where as you can set it to the exact resolution on your T.V. so there is no scaling being done by the T.V.

thor1182
12-30-06, 12:28 PM
but the thing still remains is if a simple converter would work or not, and it does not seem like it would be worth the effort with this TV.

My TV is on my list of things to replace... so I figure a year or two and I'll have it replaced.

Lfctony
12-30-06, 01:15 PM
I'm using mine with a converter that came with one of my video cards, it looks great, a lot better than what component looked. :) It should be fine, do it.

Cream
12-30-06, 01:19 PM
I'm using mine with a converter that came with one of my video cards, it looks great, a lot better than what component looked. :) It should be fine, do it.

THANKYOU, So that's two of us that are actually using this method with great results.

Lyme
12-30-06, 01:30 PM
I believe given that the video chip set in the 360 is a ATI derivative, that it also outputs the signal in dvi fashion along with the vga signal. Lets face it, it is cheaper to use a proven design than redesigning the output circuitry on the video chipset. That, and many if not most nVidia/Ati video cards ship with dvi plugins and with dvi to vga cables.

Mathesar
12-30-06, 07:16 PM
I have a Sony 34" wide tube HD TV that has the component ins and one DVI in. It does the 720P and 1080i. How would the VGA cable be worth getting if I converted it to dvi from vga, or is it meant for sets that have a vga in?

also, could I find this cable @ best buy?

I would just stick with the Component cables , I use them on my Sony 34" XBR960 tube and 360 looks awesome @ 720p. Even if the DVI to VGA adapter worked Im willing to bet the output will be less colorful with no differance in clarity. VGA is more useful on digital tv's that have a fixed resolution.

Lyme
12-30-06, 10:58 PM
Switched my 44" Toshiba DLP from component to vga. No loss in vibrance and the picture is sharper. Others mileage may vary.

ViN86
12-31-06, 12:39 AM
Not true. Only in computer video cards is that possible, and that is becasue computer video cards will output in both DVI-A (dvi analog) and DVI-D (dvi digital signal). Most A/V devices will ONLY output a DVI-D signal through a DVI port, in which case a simple adapter will not work. You would need an active circuit to convert it.

k, so thats only required when switching from analog to digital?

made the fatal assumption that HDTV's used a digital DVI port...
sorry :(

Lyme
12-31-06, 01:36 AM
made the fatal assumption that HDTV's used a digital DVI port...
sorry :(

Most HDTV's accept both DVI-A and DVI-D, hopefully using the digital when there are both and analog when it is the only one. Thats why using a simple vga to dvi-a connector works for most tv's.

hordaktheman
12-31-06, 10:35 AM
Unless you have a fixed resolution TV (LCD, plasma, etc.) there is no reason to buy the VGA cable. The only issue it actually *solves* is to allow the 360 to scale the image to whatever native resolution the TV has instead of the TV doing it. The 360 has a very good internal scaler whereas many TVs don't.

None of this applies to tube HDTVs since they don't have any fixed resolution.