PDA

View Full Version : eVGA 680i heat pipe fluid leaked??

Pages : [1] 2

Greasy
12-29-06, 06:59 PM
I've had this board for about two weeks, and I see this on my top card. The fan on the NB is no longer working either. My water kit isn't leaking either, so I'm thinking it's the heat pipe fluid.

Here's some pics.... what do you guys think, is this fluid from the busted NB fan or fluid from the heat pipe??? The stuff is all over the silver NB heatsink.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8397/dsc0014largeji9.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9728/dsc0015largeod6.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5973/dsc00151largexh0.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1913/dsc0017largeoa0.jpg

jAkUp
12-29-06, 07:08 PM
I am pretty sure that the heat pipe on the 680i does not have any fluid.

Greasy
12-29-06, 07:11 PM
Think it's fan oil?? I'm at a loss, because the water kit isn't leaking, and it's concentrated on the fan and heatsink.

Edit: I have to give props to the board though, because it's still running rock solid. I shut it down for now though, until I get my call back from eVGA's tech support. (love the call back feature BTW)

CaptNKILL
12-29-06, 07:13 PM
Thats strange.

Are you having any problems or unusually high temperatures?

Check your capacitors, check the power supply (something in there might have cooked\burst and leaked out) and check any fan grills\openings in your case for ways that something could have gotten in (from a freak coffee accident for example).

Also, does it smell like anything?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-29-06, 07:22 PM
maybe a bug got in there and died:lol:

Greasy
12-29-06, 07:25 PM
Doesn't smell like anything. Only thing I noticed was the fan on the NB wasn't working. Could it just be the oil from its bearings?

System never even winked, and has been rock solid since I got the board. The heatsink on the NB was extremely hot though, and there is a concentrated abount of the dark fluid on it. You can't see it because it's facing the fan that I have in the pic above.

Edit: the board temp did go up a few degress today, and I noticed it sounded different when I booted it up today.

Greasy
12-29-06, 09:21 PM
Just got off the phone with cust support. (They were very nice btw)

Sent some pics to them, and they're gonna get back to me when they know something.

The substance is sticky now that it's cooled which explains why the NB fan stopped working. I hope this crap doesn't ruin my card too. It's all over the back of it and I'm not sure I can get it off without damaging the card. :(

eva2000
12-29-06, 09:40 PM
yucky.... brings new meaning to your username Greasy :)

sorry couldn't help myself :o

got a pic of what's installed or located above the video card ? maybe you have a grill at top of case and something fell through ?

Greasy
12-29-06, 09:42 PM
Nothing fell into the case, and it's not the water block. Has to be related to the north bridge. Nothing above it has anything on it... just below it.

hirantha
12-29-06, 10:09 PM
wow strange... yeah heat pipes donít have any liquid to carry the heat out.. Must be from something else.. Your sure your water cooler is not leaking? .. What does it smell like? Do you use dye on your water cooler.. it looks like those ultraviolet dye.

Greasy
12-29-06, 10:16 PM
Has no smell, but I do use the Tt fluid in my kit. Although it doesn't seem to be leaking, and I don't see how it would end up like this. This stuff is almost like motor oil.

What would leaked fluid look like? (never had one leak on me)

grey_1
12-29-06, 10:25 PM
Heatpipes DO contain a working fluid, depending on the application. I don't know what would leave a stain like that, but yes it could be leaking.
Design Considerations

The three basic components of a heat pipe are:

1. the container
2. the working fluid
3. the wick or capillary structure
http://www.cheresources.com/htpipes.shtml

Greasy
12-29-06, 10:28 PM
Heatpipes DO contain a working fluid, depending on the application. I don't know what would leave a stain like that, but yes it could be leaking.

http://www.cheresources.com/htpipes.shtml

Thanks! I thought there was fluid in the pipe. I seriously think that it is what is leaking. If you look at the pick of the NB heatsink you can see how it pooled up on the left side and the middle because of the fan.

Edit: I touched that crap.. heavy metal poisoning ftw! lol

hirantha
12-29-06, 10:34 PM
Has no smell, but I do use the Tt fluid in my kit. Although it doesn't seem to be leaking, and I don't see how it would end up like this. This stuff is almost like motor oil.

What would leaked fluid look like? (never had one leak on me)

Since you have green dye, the leaked stuff will look like what you have there when dries out.
About the heat pipes leaking, I say contact EVGA to see if they have seen it happens before.

grey_1
12-29-06, 10:45 PM
Thanks! I thought there was fluid in the pipe. I seriously think that it is what is leaking. If you look at the pick of the NB heatsink you can see how it pooled up on the left side and the middle because of the fan.

Edit: I touched that crap.. heavy metal poisoning ftw! lol
Great, now your gonna have nvidia green kids. :)

Hirantha's right about contacting EVGA though, good idea.

Burner_Tbird2
12-29-06, 11:13 PM
Is your only evidence that its not your Water Cooling System the fact that the stain is gummy and colored? B/c at the temps the GPU and SPP fan operate they would have evaporated most of the non-conductive liquid leaving dye behind, which would be gummy and colored.

I would remove the CPU water block and move it away from its current spot. If the leak moves and there's no pipes or reservoir sitting above the CPU Socket then you'll know for certain.

Electric Fan Oil is usually contained within the motor housing which is well sealed. The size of the stain also gives you an idea of how much liquid was in place when it dried- more than could be contained in a heat pipe or electric motor. Just be glad Water Cooling uses non-conductive liquid and not actual water ;)

Dazz
12-30-06, 05:16 AM
Yeah heat pipes do have fluid it's a liquid then evaperates when hot then becomes a fluid again once it cools down.

Greasy
12-30-06, 08:59 AM
Is your only evidence that its not your Water Cooling System the fact that the stain is gummy and colored? B/c at the temps the GPU and SPP fan operate they would have evaporated most of the non-conductive liquid leaving dye behind, which would be gummy and colored.

I would remove the CPU water block and move it away from its current spot. If the leak moves and there's no pipes or reservoir sitting above the CPU Socket then you'll know for certain.

Electric Fan Oil is usually contained within the motor housing which is well sealed. The size of the stain also gives you an idea of how much liquid was in place when it dried- more than could be contained in a heat pipe or electric motor. Just be glad Water Cooling uses non-conductive liquid and not actual water ;)

I'm leak testing the system again, and still no leaks. I'm going to cook some of my coolant to see if it leaves the same residue. When I first noticed it the machine was on, and the substance was like motor oil. Now that it's dry its like maple syrup very sticky and gooey. It also has no smell.

Thanks for all the input though. ;)

Hambone
12-30-06, 09:02 AM
Crap. I don't use watercooling but you got my paranoid and I looked around in my case with a flashlight.

I'm happy to report I detected no GOO.

Side Note: I've kept up with the EVGA Motherboard forum for a couple of weeks and I can't remember seeing anyone else mention anything like this happening to them.

Maybe you got the lucky 1 out of 10000000 bad fan or something.
(congats)

Good Luck... something like this would really annoy me.

Greasy
12-30-06, 09:49 AM
Well after cooking up some delicious coolant I determined that Burner_Tbird2 was correct. It is the same fluid that you see in the pictures above. I even went as far as to apply some water to some of the black goo, and to my surprise it turned green.

So I guess, I'm not so lucky after all... (xmastong)

Thanks for all the input guys. Now I'm off to find the leak. Oh, I'm going to need a new fan for the NB you guys have any ideas??

At least it didn't fry my system. (cheers)

eva2000
12-30-06, 11:43 PM
Wow lucky indeed the coolant would of been distilled water combined right.. tap water on gpu = fried !

Roadhog
12-30-06, 11:45 PM
Well after cooking up some delicious coolant I determined that Burner_Tbird2 was correct. It is the same fluid that you see in the pictures above. I even went as far as to apply some water to some of the black goo, and to my surprise it turned green.

So I guess, I'm not so lucky after all... (xmastong)

Thanks for all the input guys. Now I'm off to find the leak. Oh, I'm going to need a new fan for the NB you guys have any ideas??

At least it didn't fry my system. (cheers)

What were you using as coolant? I'm amazed it didn't fry!

RussianHAXOR
12-31-06, 03:42 AM
I'm pretty sure that the 680i's dont have fluid, lemme find out for sure.

Dazz
12-31-06, 05:19 PM
For people that says heat pipes don't have liquid, something to read about heat pipes
http://www.ocmodshop.com/news/templates/displayarticle.asp?articleid=3038&zoneid=21

Roadhog
12-31-06, 05:38 PM
Interesting read! I thought they only had some kind of liquid in them that would just evaporate then condense.