PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 8800 GTX Constant Crashing

RionikuAnjiru
12-30-06, 03:32 PM
Hi,

I recently bought an EVGA 8800 GTX card, upgrading from a Radeon X1900XTX.

Here are my system specs :

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Video Card : EVGA 8800 GTX
RAM : 2 gigs Corsair ValueSelect (4x512m)
Motherboard : ASUS P5B
HDs : 250g SATA, 80g IDE
Sound Card : Sound Blaster Live
Cd/DVD Drives : LD DVD writer
Power Supply : Antec Smartpower 450W

According to the Extreme Power Supply Calculator, I *should* have enough power.

My problem : I'm getting random crashes, sometimes a Blue Screen while watching a video or just doing basic operations on the desktop.

Also, most of my games seem to work fine (Black and White 2, Dark Crusade, Company of Heroes and Rainbow 6 Vegas all work) but Condemned gets me random lock ups after a few minutes of game time, and FEAR Extraction Point crashes with a blue screen after a few minutes too.

I've tried both the 97.02 and the 97.44 drivers, and although the 97.02 seemed to cause more crashes, they were both very unstable in a similar way.

I'm hoping this is simply a software conflict and that a clean format will fix it, but I'd like to have any opinions... I'm a little freaked out that after dishing out for a great card like this I get a lot of instability.

Please help if you can!

RionikuAnjiru
12-30-06, 06:56 PM
Update : I moved some things around inside my case and upped my case fan speeds, and it stopped crashing - at least in FEAR.

I didn't crash to desktop once since either, so I supposed it might have been heat related, my GPU was idling at ~78C which is pretty damn high, so my airflow was gravely constricted.

I suggested anyone that had similar problems to try clearing up some case space, as the card is so huge it completely changes the dynamics of air cooling in a case.

john19055
12-30-06, 07:28 PM
IMO a better solution would be to buy a bigger power supply ,You have to be just barely makeing the power requirement with just a 450watt antec,I had a Antec 430watt and I could not get the 6800ultra stable at all untill I upgraded to a bigger power supply that had more amps on the 12v rail.

davy1shoe
12-30-06, 07:31 PM
Its the heat i have same problem put 4 x 120mm fans on case 3 iun 1 out still found tonight have to open case door.
Strating to think im going to have to add water blocks to my gpus btw i have same card.

RionikuAnjiru
12-30-06, 08:10 PM
I'll upgrade to a bigger PSU as soon as possible, but as I've just bought the 8800 GTX, I'm a little low on funds for now, which is why I wanted to get it working at least decently.

But yeah the heat is a bigger killer than I thought, I have not had a crash ever since I clearer my case.

hirantha
12-30-06, 09:20 PM
Until you get a good air flow, open the case and maybe direct a fan towards the case.

da0s
12-31-06, 03:05 AM
My goodness...78C idle? Geez what were your load temps? My idle temps are around 51-54C and load is around 61-64C. I cant imagine temps idling around 78C. You need to get some airflow to those cards or it will not last you very long at all. A simple 120mm intake and 120mm exhaust would do the trick. Nothing fancy, just get it functional. Use zip ties if you have too.

What kind of case do you own?

RionikuAnjiru
12-31-06, 07:34 PM
Oh I fixed it in a hurry when I realized heat was the problem. I never tested to check my GPU temp while on load, I was just rushing to fixing ASAP.

I have an Antec Sonata II, so it has the plastic tunnel that brings the airflow from the CPU fan to the back of the case, which was all fine and dandy before I got a vid card that pretty much created a wall between the top and bottom of my case.

I basically removed the plastic tunnel and turned up my back 120mm from low to medium, and that did it, my card now idles at a comfy 58C, under load it goes up to 68ish.

So obviously my airflow could still use some work, but it's all working fine now. I was still getting crashes in windows, especially watching videos, but I bit the bullet and formatted and that fixed everything, the errors were probably coming from an IRQ conflict.

Besides, I was due for a format anyway.

Aside from that the card is amazing - if anyone haven't tried the "Adrianne" demo from Nvidia on their 8800 GTX I suggest you do, it's truly a breathtaking thing. Rainbow Six Vegas also runs smooth as silk, which is really good news for the future Unreal Engine 3 games, UT2007 not the being the least of them of course :D

Dazz
12-31-06, 08:06 PM
Strange normaily when it's heat related the cores throttle not sure if it's still the case with the G80 but it was with the G70's etc.

grimreefer
12-31-06, 08:32 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153037
that might work

SH0DAN
12-31-06, 08:54 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153037
that might work

I have been told time and again those 5 1/4" ps's dont work.I tried one with a GTX and it didnt work.
The OP is really over stressing that Antec to the max and then some.I own the same ps and found
the same problems,random reboots and blue screens.And this was in a better ventilated case as well.

grimreefer
12-31-06, 09:08 PM
I have been told time and again those 5 1/4" ps's dont work.I tried one with a GTX and it didnt work.
The OP is really over stressing that Antec to the max and then some.I own the same ps and found
the same problems,random reboots and blue screens.And this was in a better ventilated case as well.
yea, but this is a bit stronger than ur average 5.25 psu i think.
one of the user reviews said that he powers an 8800gtx with it, and 250w seems good enough when its only physically powering one thing.

SH0DAN
12-31-06, 09:11 PM
yea, but this is a bit stronger than ur average 5.25 psu i think.
one of the user reviews said that he powers an 8800gtx with it, and 250w seems good enough when its only physically powering one thing.

I have actually tried two of these psu 'boosters' and neither worked as advertised.

da0s
12-31-06, 09:52 PM
Oh I fixed it in a hurry when I realized heat was the problem. I never tested to check my GPU temp while on load, I was just rushing to fixing ASAP.

I have an Antec Sonata II, so it has the plastic tunnel that brings the airflow from the CPU fan to the back of the case, which was all fine and dandy before I got a vid card that pretty much created a wall between the top and bottom of my case.

I basically removed the plastic tunnel and turned up my back 120mm from low to medium, and that did it, my card now idles at a comfy 58C, under load it goes up to 68ish.

So obviously my airflow could still use some work, but it's all working fine now. I was still getting crashes in windows, especially watching videos, but I bit the bullet and formatted and that fixed everything, the errors were probably coming from an IRQ conflict.

Besides, I was due for a format anyway.

Aside from that the card is amazing - if anyone haven't tried the "Adrianne" demo from Nvidia on their 8800 GTX I suggest you do, it's truly a breathtaking thing. Rainbow Six Vegas also runs smooth as silk, which is really good news for the future Unreal Engine 3 games, UT2007 not the being the least of them of course :D

Funny I just got done playing Vegas. Man isnt that game absolutely mind boggling? The realism is nothing short of amazing. Anyhow glad to hear you nailed the heat issue. I wanted to go back on my temp reading. I was stating that under some pretty cold ambient temps.

See I just got my card so it is new to me. When temps are normal in my house(when my wife isnt here), my card idles around 54c and loads at about 64 so you are much more on par. Just thought I would give you the heads up.