PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX poor performance in OpenGL apps

loafer87gt
12-30-06, 11:54 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is trying to use their 8800 series card in any pro OpenGL apps. I am noticing poor performance in a number of applications, most of all Discreets 3DSMax. Viewport performance on my new 8800GTX is noticeably slower than on my old 6800GT card using both D3D and OpenGL. Some of the guys over at HardOCP say that this performance cap is because of the upcming G80 based Quadro cards, but if this is this case I am going to be quite upset. There is no excuse for a company to cripple a card to the point where it is slower than the card that came out two generation prior to it just to make their workstation cards seem more appealing.

Using 3DSMax, I have found OpenGL to be the best performing overall, although there is about a half second delay with any sort of viewport interaction or simple actions such as switching viewports. Using D3D without dual planes the performance is laughable at best.

My system is a QX6700 / eVga 8800GTX / 4 GB Dominator 8500 / BadAxe 2 setup. Rendering times and gaming performance is through the roof, but 3DSMax and other OpenGL apps performance is abysmal.

Any word if we'll see any performance boost in future drivers, or are us 8800 users stuck with sub 6800 levels of performance until the G80 based Quadros come out?

Tranceaddict
12-31-06, 02:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is trying to use their 8800 series card in any pro OpenGL apps. I am noticing poor performance in a number of applications, most of all Discreets 3DSMax. Viewport performance on my new 8800GTX is noticeably slower than on my old 6800GT card using both D3D and OpenGL. Some of the guys over at HardOCP say that this performance cap is because of the upcming G80 based Quadro cards, but if this is this case I am going to be quite upset. There is no excuse for a company to cripple a card to the point where it is slower than the card that came out two generation prior to it just to make their workstation cards seem more appealing.

Using 3DSMax, I have found OpenGL to be the best performing overall, although there is about a half second delay with any sort of viewport interaction or simple actions such as switching viewports. Using D3D without dual planes the performance is laughable at best.

My system is a QX6700 / eVga 8800GTX / 4 GB Dominator 8500 / BadAxe 2 setup. Rendering times and gaming performance is through the roof, but 3DSMax and other OpenGL apps performance is abysmal.

Any word if we'll see any performance boost in future drivers, or are us 8800 users stuck with sub 6800 levels of performance until the G80 based Quadros come out?

I sure hope they fix this driver issue. My fav. came is Call of Duty: United Offensive, and the game runs worse on my OCed 8800GTS than it did on a stock 7900GT. Seeing how I had to go through 3 RMAs with the 7900GTs, and now this driver problem with the 8800 series, I am really turned off from NVIDIA.

OWA
12-31-06, 03:31 PM
If you have two monitors, make sure you're only accelerating a single display although since you say opengl gaming performance is good, it's probably not that.

loafer87gt
12-31-06, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I only have one monitor currently connected to my new workstation. Checking through the Nvidia forums, it appears there have been other users experiencing the same problems - some users reporting that the current pro level app performance to be roughly equal to a 9800 Pro. Here's hoping that Nvidia is able to eek out a bit more perfomance out of the OpenGL drivers to at least bring the card back up to the speed of my old 6800GT.

Kind of a dissapointment - maybe the new unified shader architecture just isn't well suited to professional OpenGL apps?

nrdstrm
12-31-06, 09:02 PM
If you have two monitors, make sure you're only accelerating a single display although since you say opengl gaming performance is good, it's probably not that.

Hmmm...Interesting...I run a dual display setup (but only game on 1 monitor). How do I make it only accelerate 1 display?

OWA
12-31-06, 09:18 PM
Hmmm...Interesting...I run a dual display setup (but only game on 1 monitor). How do I make it only accelerate 1 display?
Set the option I'm showing in the attachment to single. Do it in the global and game specific profiles. For some reason, they default it to multi.

nrdstrm
12-31-06, 09:24 PM
Thanks...I'll give that a shot! Happy New Year All!!! I'm off to party...

OWA
12-31-06, 10:19 PM
A party...before you check the setting? What are you thinking???? j/k

Happy New Year...in about 45 minutes. :)

Killing
04-22-07, 07:10 PM
Set the option I'm showing in the attachment to single. Do it in the global and game specific profiles. For some reason, they default it to multi.
OMG what a difference from single digget FPS maxing at 16FPS to a solid 60FPS ( monitor refresh rate ).

Thanks for this tip I was pulling my hair out that a QX6700 and Dual 8800GTX's where as slow as crap in CoD and CoD:UO.

daforce
04-24-07, 03:55 AM
For me, Direct3D is far far faster than opengl in 3dsmax.. especially in 3dsmax9.

And I certainly use it often enough, im one of the regulars over at the Vray/chaosgroup forums.

loafer87gt
04-27-07, 01:02 AM
For me, Direct3D is far far faster than opengl in 3dsmax.. especially in 3dsmax9.

And I certainly use it often enough, im one of the regulars over at the Vray/chaosgroup forums.

Ahh - I thought your username looked familiar! :) I go by the same name over at the Vray forums as well. Finally got my new dongle and version of Viz 2008, now am just waiting for things to ease up at work to get everything installed.

daforce
04-27-07, 02:13 AM
hahaha.. so you do :D

Its a small nerdy world isnt it :afro:

Hapatingjaky
04-29-07, 09:32 PM
OpenGL performance has always been poor on my 8800GTX and I don't know why. 16xAA is just no playable at all in Quake 4 and Prey. Setting 8xAA and the game is alot better but still drops down into the low 20's from time to time... And no I am not on Vista, still using XP and I've already set the option to single.

Amuro
04-30-07, 01:05 AM
Yeah, Quake 4 runs like crap @ 1920x1200 ultra quality and 16xAA even with 8800GTX SLI. FPS gets below 30 most of the time, however, at 4xAA it's almost a constant 60.

marqmajere
04-30-07, 03:29 AM

I just tried that and Neverwinter Nights runs perfect! Thanks so much! :)