PDA

View Full Version : 7800 GTX oc temps

snowmanwithahat
12-31-06, 01:50 AM
Hello everyone. I recently bought a 7800 GTX 512mb from Owa. It is the BFG OC version with clocks set at 580/1750.

I haven't had a single problem at all in any games. However I have been using ATI tool to test for artifacts, and its' been consistantly overheating when using ATI tool.

Using rivatuner i've recorded a high temp of 64 C while playing counter-strike : Source. However, it hits as high as 75 C while testing with ATI tool.

I then went into rivatuner and used it to set the fan speed at 100% on my video card, and then the temps never got above 63 C in ATI tool.

This led me to my next idea, I had ATI tool write the BIOS of my card to my desktop, and then i opened it with Nibitor. It appears that the bios matches the one posted on mvktech.net for my card, and that the temperature and fan settings are set at 100% for both 2d and 3d modes through the BIOS.

I don't understand why my fan is slower while using ATI tool, even when it's set at 100% in the BIOS. I am wondering if anyone here has had any experience wiht this problem. Another thing worth mentioning is that when i set it to 100% through Rivatuner, it gets considerably louder, and I can tell it's spinning faster.

you're help would greatly be appreciated.

nekrosoft13
12-31-06, 02:19 AM
just a guess, fan speed might be different because ati tool doesn't run in full screen, so possibly doesn't activate the fan at full speed.

snowmanwithahat
12-31-06, 02:34 AM
just a guess, fan speed might be different because ati tool doesn't run in full screen, so possibly doesn't activate the fan at full speed.

Hmm, that's a thought.... Although in the BIOS of my card while viewing it.... it says that it's set at 100% for 2d and 3d... It makes me think there's some other fan-speed controller that I don't have any control over... the fan on my card has that 4-pin design, such that of the intel coolers for the lga775 socket.... I don't know exactly what is going on with it all..

I ran the 3dmark'06 demo... and it hit 72 C max during that run when the fan speeds were set to "auto" but of course, forcing it to 100% with rivatuner brought temps of 59 C... I'm really confused on all of this