PDA

View Full Version : Sony preps 3rd version of PlayStation 3

1337_Like_ThaT
12-31-06, 05:17 AM
The boys at Sony are at it again, but this time for a $1600+ PriceTag :(

http://www.techspot.com/news/23979-sony-preps-3rd-version-of-playstation-3.html

You'd figure Sony would concentrate on getting their existing two models of PlayStation 3 into peoples homes before developing a third, but that isn't the case. Sony is looking to introduce a multimedia-oriented PlayStation 3 soon, designed to be a multimedia center rather than as a gaming console:

The “media-centric” PlayStation 3 will feature capabilities of consumer electronics devices and will be more focused on digital media content playback, rather than on gaming. Based on claims reportedly made by executives of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., PC Watch web-site reports that the PlayStation 3 “media-centric”-edition will feature anti-vibration mechanism on the Blu-ray disc drive, 512MB XDR memory, more advanced power supply unit and two HDMI connectors to divide audio and video data.

So what exactly makes this more attractive to someone not looking for a console but a media center instead? I'm not exactly sure, especially since the cost of this unit will be even greater than the existing consoles, and the article estimates it could be sold at $1600 or even higher. Personally, I think Sony should concentrate on other issues before expanding the scope of the already-troubled PS3.

XxDeadlyxX
12-31-06, 06:09 AM
$1600... what a joke. And people thought $599 was steep.

Stoneyguy
12-31-06, 06:22 AM
Well Sony sees the dummies that spent over 2K on Ebay for their low end models so they say "Lets spend 200 bucks upgrading our PS3 and sell it for 1K more so we can make that kind of profit. Call it an elite and rare model and our stupid fanboys will eat it up."

Making mad money off stupid people isn't a joke, it's a fact of life.

npras42
12-31-06, 08:26 AM
This would be kinda good if it did all the things that a Media Center does and included dual DVB-T tuners and PVR functionality (and maybe DVD+-R/RW or even BD-R) but the article doesn't mention anything like this and in that case its lame.

|MaguS|
12-31-06, 09:19 AM
It really isn't a PS3 but rather PSX 2 (which was a DVR with the ability to play PS2 titles.)

Marvel_us
12-31-06, 10:40 AM
This isn't directed to a widespread market like the other 2 consoles of course.

I don't see a problem with it since I doubt they are going to support this more than the 500 & 600 dollar models.

toxikneedle
12-31-06, 02:05 PM
sony is gonna get so much **** for this, i can already see it coming.

I actually was interested when I first heard about this but 1600 is WAY too much for me.

LycosV
12-31-06, 02:55 PM
Having another version of the PS3 with more RAM brings back bad memories of the memory addon pack for the N64.

|MaguS|
12-31-06, 02:57 PM
Having another version of the PS3 with more RAM brings back bad memories of the memory addon pack for the N64.

No it doesn't since the more ram WILL NOT BE USED FOR GAMING. IT IS NOT A CONSOLE.

The PSX had higher specs then the PS2 and did nothing special over it when it came to gaming.

LycosV
12-31-06, 03:35 PM
No it doesn't since the more ram WILL NOT BE USED FOR GAMING. IT IS NOT A CONSOLE.

The PSX had higher specs then the PS2 and did nothing special over it when it came to gaming.

My bad memories don't need facts to back them up. :)

Rakeesh
12-31-06, 09:01 PM

So what the hell are they going to use that memory for? Certainly can't be for PVR functions as those require far less memory than the PS3 base unit has.

|MaguS|
12-31-06, 09:16 PM
To be media centric then it would help out alot, playing an h264 movie file can stress hardware, especially if it was at 1080p resolution.

Rakeesh
12-31-06, 09:23 PM
To be media centric then it would help out alot, playing an h264 movie file can stress hardware, especially if it was at 1080p resolution.

Meh? It would stress the CPU if anything, not the memory. The video memory alone should be enough for h264 at 1080p. Even if it is software driven, 256mb of base memory should be fine as well, even with the OS and all of that junk loaded. Hell, you could comfortably fit 3 seconds of video in the frame buffer with that.

|MaguS|
12-31-06, 09:32 PM
Only if the player is optimized for the hardware... which we all know how well Sony can write software. If anything its due to the ability to install Linux and still use it as a media center.

Rakeesh
12-31-06, 09:39 PM
Only if the player is optimized for the hardware...

What do you mean only? Even fully decompressed you are talking like 49MB per frame at 1080p. Unless the cell was totally sh*tty, which it isn't, or there was some severe bottleneck somewhere, which there isn't, the hardware it has will work fine.

Hell, the x360 has less combined memory than the PS3 and it can handle all of those media functions just fine.

|MaguS|
12-31-06, 09:48 PM
What do you mean only? Even fully decompressed you are talking like 49MB per frame at 1080p. Unless the cell was totally sh*tty, which it isn't, or there was some severe bottleneck somewhere, which there isn't, the hardware it has will work fine.

Hell, the x360 has less combined memory than the PS3 and it can handle all of those media functions just fine.

The X360 can only playback a limited amount of file formats when compared to the PS3, even then this version will probably have even more expanded capabilties.

Hell I don't even know why anyone would care about this news on this forum, Its just going to be Japan only like the PSX and anyone with a brain wouldn't be dumb enough to pay $1600 for a restricted media center unit when they could just built a PC to hand it all.

Zelda_fan
12-31-06, 10:49 PM
lol

Rakeesh
01-01-07, 05:16 PM
The X360 can only playback a limited amount of file formats when compared to the PS3, even then this version will probably have even more expanded capabilties.

That is only because it isn't implemented in software. The hardware is well capable of handling it. If you believe that the PS3 in its current form isn't capable either, then please show me the math.

I can show you this much: even if they used the sh*ttiest software decompression method available, they still have enough physical memory to do even tripple buffering:

[(2^20)256]-[(1920*1080*24)3] = 119,136,256 bytes left over

That would allow plenty of room for a pretty damn bloated player and OS.