PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a PS3, thanks LurkerLito!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

OWA
12-31-06, 09:27 AM
Well, the info about Best Buy having some today panned out. I got a little worried when I showed up at 9:50am and there were around 40-50 people in line. Ends up some were in line but didn't know why there was a line and some were in line for a Wii. So, I ended up getting a PS3! Of course, I got so excited that I bought it and rushed out without buying any games. So, I'll be making a return trip shortly. :)

LurkerLito, thanks for the heads up on them being available at Best Buy today.

grey_1
12-31-06, 09:29 AM
Hope it gives you some good times OWA!

Mr. Hunt
12-31-06, 09:32 AM
Congrats... I know you have been waiting forever ;).

OWA
12-31-06, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys. Now I'm trying to figure out what I need. I seem to remember some threads about it not shipping with a cable that you need for hi-def or something like that. Looking at the Best Buy website, all the accessories say coming soon.

|MaguS|
12-31-06, 09:57 AM
Just pick up either any HDMI cable or a PS2 Component Cable. As for games, Resistence and Ridge Racer 7 are ace. Make sure to get the Motorstorm demo...

OWA
12-31-06, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I just checked and found they only include the AV cable. That's a strange decision.

Thanks for the info.

Mr. Hunt
12-31-06, 10:03 AM
And get GTHD Concept... it owns.

Marvel_us
12-31-06, 10:35 AM
As Magus said you need either HDMI or PS2 component. I'm using the PS2 components so I can guarantee you it works.

Setup your PSNetwork ID go get the demos! GTHD, Motorstorm and F1 are the best on there.

Also before you are able to use any of the online functionality you will need to do a system update, just a heads up on that. Once that's done you can create your account, download, browse the web etc.

Ruined
12-31-06, 10:43 AM
If you buy an HDMI cable, this is an excellent one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812186013

Only $10 and it is HDMI-certified as well (i don't believe the ones from monoprice.com are HDMI-certified, for instance). Meaning it will look/sound identical to $100 monster cable, except for $90 less.

LurkerLito
12-31-06, 11:43 AM
Congrats OWA! See I told you you'd get one before mine arrived from Amazon :)

OWA
12-31-06, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the link Ruined. I ended up paying $60 for a cable since I couldn't find any cheap ones at Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA or Target. Thanks for the link though. If I wasn't so impatient that would have been the way to go.

Well, I ended up getting Ridge Racer 7 and NBA 07 (since I have NBA Live 07 for the X360 and just wanted to see what NBA 07 was like).

I also bought a couple of Blu-Ray movies just to see if I notice any difference from my upconverting DVD player. I don't really plan to buy any more HD movies though until someone makes a unit that plays both formats or the format war is over (the main reason I haven't bought the HD player for the X360 yet). I wasn't sure which movies to get since I haven't been following the threads closely where people mentioned some being worse than others. I ended up getting Black Hawk Down and Into the Blue.

Thanks for the info Marvel_us and Mr. Hunt.

Congrats OWA! See I told you you'd get one before mine arrived from Amazon
Yeah, I still had my doubts since I never seem to have any luck with stuff like this. I'm glad you were right though. :)

Mr. Hunt
12-31-06, 12:25 PM
Return Into The Blue NOW!!!

OWA
12-31-06, 12:30 PM
Is that not a good blu-ray title or do you just not like the movie? :) I haven't opened them yet so I'll wait to see what you have to say about it.

evilchris
12-31-06, 12:39 PM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=753726

I don't have that title, but it's listed as Tier 1. Don't worry about Hunt. Maybe Flatley isn't in it or something.

OWA
12-31-06, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the link. Edit: Wow, that's a great link. Exactly what I needed. Thanks again.

Marvel_us
12-31-06, 01:18 PM
OWA you could've downloaded the NBA07 demo before you bought it. Personally I don't like it so I bought NBA2K7 but it may be different for you. Isn't Into the Blue that movie with Jessica Alba?! I wouldn't mind seeing her in HD :) If you do decide to return it or buy another movie pickup Kingdom of Heaven. I've seen other people do it from Wiis and PS3s so I guess it's my turn....."I'm typing this from my PS3.....using a wireless kb :P". Okay I'm done now.

Bad_Boy
12-31-06, 01:26 PM
Congrats on the purchase. You should of gotten NBA2k7 like Marvel_us said. I think NBA 07 is better than Live 07, but 2k7 is way better than both.

I buy all my cables from monoprice.com, and movies from amazon.com for future reference. Good prices at those sites.

Add me to your buddy list on the PSN, and send me a message if you have any questions. :)

. Isn't Into the Blue that movie with Jessica Alba?! I wouldn't mind seeing her in HD :)
Yup it is. :p

Euphoria
12-31-06, 01:32 PM
I also bought a couple of Blu-Ray movies just to see if I notice any difference from my upconverting DVD player. I don't really plan to buy any more HD movies though until someone makes a unit that plays both formats or the format war is over (the main reason I haven't bought the HD player for the X360 yet).

Yeah I use to have an upconverting DVD player and when I switched to HD DVD I for sure noticed the difference. BluRay should also give you a nice picture, superior to the DVD upconverter. I already own 10 HD DVDs and I love them.

OWA
12-31-06, 01:50 PM
OWA you could've downloaded the NBA07 demo before you bought it. Personally I don't like it so I bought NBA2K7 but it may be different for you. Isn't Into the Blue that movie with Jessica Alba?! I wouldn't mind seeing her in HD :)
Congrats on the purchase. You should of gotten NBA2k7 like Marvel_us said. I think NBA 07 is better than Live 07, but 2k7 is way better than both.
Dang, I haven't opened it yet so maybe I'll take it back and get NBA2k7.

Yeah, as Bad_Boy mentioned, Into the Blue has Jessica Alba in it. :)

Yeah I use to have an upconverting DVD player and when I switched to HD DVD I for sure noticed the difference. BluRay should also give you a nice picture, superior to the DVD upconverter. I already own 10 HD DVDs and I love them.
Thanks for the info. I was actually kind of hoping I wouldn't notice much of a difference. I really don't want to get into all of that until things are more settled but if there's a big difference, it'll probably be more tempting.

LurkerLito
12-31-06, 01:57 PM
You'll love HD movies. I have the 360 add on and I can tell you once your eyes get use to it you'll put in your DVDs and go why is the picture so blurry? It's both a good thing and a bad thing :).

Marvel_us
12-31-06, 02:01 PM
Dang, I haven't opened it yet so maybe I'll take it back and get NBA2k7.

Yeah, as Bad_Boy mentioned, Into the Blue has Jessica Alba in it. :)

Thanks for the info. I was actually kind of hoping I wouldn't notice much of a difference. I really don't want to get into all of that until things are more settled but if there's a big difference, it'll probably be more tempting.

Just remember you can download the NBA07 demo....play that first then make your decision.

Also about the movie comment. Look at it this way, if you buy the titles you like on Blu-Ray it doesn't matter which format wins. You will always have your PS3 for BD playback so you won't really lose out since you bought it for gaming primarily.

evilchris
12-31-06, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the link. Edit: Wow, that's a great link. Exactly what I needed. Thanks again.

Here's the sister thread for HD DVD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705387

Bad_Boy
12-31-06, 02:44 PM
Also about the movie comment. Look at it this way, if you buy the titles you like on Blu-Ray it doesn't matter which format wins. You will always have your PS3 for BD playback so you won't really lose out since you bought it for gaming primarily.
Pretty much the way I think about it. If blu-ray loses, I dont think the titles I paid money for will be wasted since I can always play those and I'll still have a gaming machine in the core of things (instead of spending money on a hd-dvd or blu-ray standalone, without anything being a sure bet right now).

Anyways, CC seems to have a sale on madden and cod3. I already have madden, but I'm thinking about picking up COD3. 45 dollars. Couple that with a 20 dollar gift card I got for xmas, thats a pretty cheap game. :)

I think Target had a sale on marvel:UA and NFS:C for 40 dollars but I don't see it on the site. Might have to drive by them to see whats up.

|MaguS|
12-31-06, 02:45 PM
I got COD3 for the X360 and im not impressed at all by the game... I don't see how so many people claim it to be so great, graphically its nice but the gameplay is lame.

Marvel:UA rocks!

Bad_Boy
12-31-06, 03:07 PM
I got COD3 for the X360 and im not impressed at all by the game... I don't see how so many people claim it to be so great, graphically its nice but the gameplay is lame.

Marvel:UA rocks!
Thanks. You think COD3 is worth 45 bucks though?
If I can find Marvel still on sale I'll probably pick it up.