PDA

View Full Version : Dark Messiah + 8800GTS: Best driver?

Gnaddel
12-31-06, 09:28 AM
Hi,

I've recently ordered my new system and while I'm waiting for the precious packet I'm prepraring myself for the setup.
Among other things I wonder which Forceware driver will suit Dark Messiah best.
The newest (97.44) or a 97.02? Anyone playing DM with a 8800 out there?
(xmasmile)

greetings,
Gnaddel

fatal1ty
12-31-06, 10:10 AM
We haven't seen the best set for DM yet. Still waiting for Nvidia to get a set out that works properly. I was using 97.28 and 97.44 and it runs DM ok.

Gnaddel
12-31-06, 10:25 AM
Well, if DM runs fine I'll be pleased until Nvidia manages to give us some driver that doesn't mess up 50% of the up to date games. (xmasgrin)
Any, what das "ok" mean? Did it run without any graphical errors or was it simply playable with minor issues?

Thx for the response,
Gnaddel.

icecold1983
12-31-06, 05:42 PM
i use 97.44, havent tried any other sets, but theres lots of z-error type polygon jumping. performance is usually smooth, tho theres some ridiculously huge fps drops in certain areas or when u equip certain weapons. for example equipping the lightning daggers cuts my fps by almost 75% nearly across the board. looking at certain rooms from certain angles cuts my fps by almost half.

fatal1ty
12-31-06, 10:02 PM
i use 97.44, havent tried any other sets, but theres lots of z-error type polygon jumping. performance is usually smooth, tho theres some ridiculously huge fps drops in certain areas or when u equip certain weapons. for example equipping the lightning daggers cuts my fps by almost 75% nearly across the board. looking at certain rooms from certain angles cuts my fps by almost half.

Thats what OK means ;)

Muppet
12-31-06, 10:51 PM
There is texture flashing with the 97.02 drivers, so i wouldn't use them

Gnaddel
01-01-07, 08:28 AM
Ok looks like I'll have to wait until Nvidia gives us a better driver. The card doesn't shipt before tomorrow anyway, since the 1.1. is a holyday over here (dunno if it is for you), perhaps there'll be a better driver when my card arrives.

fatal1ty
01-01-07, 08:54 AM
Most of us are hoping by Jan22, when the R600 takes the crown back (http://level505.com/2006/12/30/the-full-ati-r600-test/1/). Man you should've waited 3 more weeks to purchase anything.

Gnaddel
01-01-07, 09:09 AM
The problem is that there is no good time to purchase hardware (xmasgrin)
Waiting wasn't an options anyway, I'll have a lot of exams in february and march and most likely no time to think about hardware.
I prefer Nvidia cards anyway, since I've never read good things about ATI linux support. (I know 8800 and Linux isn't a very good idea atm, but I really expect that there'll be better 8800 drivers for linux than R600 ones ;) )
So.... I might have saved some money but I wouldn't have time to use the hardware in a month or two... (xmasmile)