PDA

View Full Version : Resetting the PS3?

OWA
12-31-06, 07:48 PM
Okay, now I've done it. :( I tried using the HDMI-to-DVI cable and it initially set the resolution to 1080p. B/c I was still figuring out the menu system I went back to the beginning and had to choose again. The 2nd time around, the screen was corrupt when trying to use 1080p. After setting it manually I got it to work. I then tried a blu-ray DVD to see what would happen and the screen got corrupted again. I now can't get it out of that mode. I tried disconnecting the HDMI cable and plugging in the AV cable but I'm not getting a picture.

So, is there a way to reset the console to factory defaults without being able to see the screen (a reset button or something). I saw a reset in the menu but I don't know how to navigate there to choose it since the output is all messed up.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the answer here: http://www.breakingwindows.com/new/2006/12/switching_video.php

Hold down the power button for around 5 seconds or so will do a hardware reset.

OWA
12-31-06, 08:44 PM
Okay, I don't know what the deal is. Any suggestions on whether it's a display problem, cable problem or PS3 problem?

I can get the 1080p mode to work but I have to go through all the other resolutions first. Then, things are fine in 1080p for that session. I played Ridge Racer 7 and now have Into the Blue running at 1080p. Once I turn off the PS3 though, the display is corrupted the next time I turn it on. I then have to reset the console and go through the display setup again.

I'm using a HDMI to DVI cable since my display doesn't have HDMI connections, only DVI. I'm using the AV for audio.

Edit: Actually, just the menu worked in Into the Blue. Now that I started the movie, the screen is garbled. Maybe it's HDCP but that still doesn't explain why the display in general gets garbled.

|MaguS|
12-31-06, 08:56 PM
No movie currently released required HDCP so thats not the problem, It could be your cable... I personally don't trust adapters much. Have you tried component?

evilchris
12-31-06, 09:07 PM
Might be a handshake problem. HDMI is a ****ing disaster unfortunately.

OWA
12-31-06, 10:05 PM
I forgot the "I'm an idiot" possibility. I forgot my flat panel doesn't support 1080p on both DVI connectors. What made it so frustrating is that I could eventually get it to work on the 1080i (max) DVI connection by playing with it a while. So, I thought something was wrong. Then it dawned on me that I was using the wrong DVI port. Switched it and and now things are fine. Geez, I was really starting to get mad and it ends up being my fault. :o

Sorry for the trouble.

Marvel_us
12-31-06, 10:42 PM
I forgot the "I'm an idiot" possibility. I forgot my flat panel doesn't support 1080p on both DVI connectors. What made it so frustrating is that I could eventually get it to work on the 1080i (max) DVI connection by playing with it a while. So, I thought something was wrong. Then it dawned on me that I was using the wrong DVI port. Switched it and and now things are fine. Geez, I was really starting to get mad and it ends up being my fault. :o

Sorry for the trouble.

Lol, I honestly had no idea on how to solve your problem but I'm glad you got it sorted out. :)

Bad_Boy
01-01-07, 12:58 AM
Lol, I honestly had no idea on how to solve your problem but I'm glad you got it sorted out. :)
ditto.

Just wondering, what monitor are you using OWA?