PDA

View Full Version : AS5 and 8800GTX

da0s
12-31-06, 09:57 PM
Well,

I just thought I would pass this information along to all of you incase you were thinking of applying Arctic Silver to your VPU core and removing the already existing thermal paste that is intact.

I went ahead and did the job with AS5. I used my Arctic Silver Surface Purifier along with the Thermal goop remover from Arctic silver as well. This is the same manner that I prepared my chipset and SB. I did everything very carefully and took my time as to get it just right, made sure that the heatsink was nice and level, and the results...

...absolutely no gain in performance! I was amazed to see that my temps have not dropped at all neither under load or at idle. I thought for sure I would see atleast a couple degrees celcius but in turn...nothing.

I must say that eVGA has done a good job with whatever paste they use on the 8800GTX.

So for all of you that are thinking of going this route...dont. All it will do is void your warranty.

Lfctony
12-31-06, 10:43 PM
I think eVGA lets you do that without voiding you warranty. JakUp?

MajestacaL
12-31-06, 10:50 PM
It also takes a few days for the AS5 to set to get the best performance let us know the temps in a few days.

jAkUp
01-01-07, 12:36 AM
I think eVGA lets you do that without voiding you warranty. JakUp?

Yea, no issues with that. I have STG1 on mine, works good.

Also remember that AS5 takes a while to settle in, so you may see some drops over time :)

Xion X2
01-01-07, 12:45 AM
I use STG1 on my CPU.

It's great that eVGA lets you remove the HSF w/o voiding the warranty. I might go that route with another GTX in the future and throw an EK block on it.

HeavyH20
01-01-07, 01:23 AM
I actually got a good decrease (62 to 58). But, I also replaced the thermal pads, as well.

da0s
01-01-07, 01:55 AM
Well well well. Ill be darn. I thought for sure this would void my warranty. Things have really changed in the market with these distributors allowing individuals to look under the dress so to speak. Thats awesome! Just one more reason why I like eVGA. Haha.

Is it ok to use the DangerDen Water cooling block on it without voiding the warranty?

Heck...I thought I would atleast ask. Its worth a try.

Oh, and sorry for the confusion. I completely forgot about the setting period for AS5. You guys have to forgive me. This is the first computer I have built for myself since the Northwood days. Haha.

Roadhog
01-01-07, 01:58 AM
yep, you can change the heatsink also as far as I know.

Xion X2
01-01-07, 02:02 AM
Yeah, that's definitely a plus. eVGA gets my business next go as long as they keep that policy in place. If I'd known you could do that I would've bought one of theirs and stripped the block myself and saved 100-150 bucks.

Oh well, next time.

da0s
01-01-07, 09:19 AM
Yeah I am definatly either getting the EK or the Danger Den. Check out the EK...

http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_42&products_id=143&osCsid=0b64aecb673efdeec6060828c21ddc8f

Only $140 shipped so I think Ill end up going with it instead of the DD because the DD is so hard to get ahold of. It seems that before they hit the shelves they are sold.

fatal1ty
01-01-07, 12:27 PM
You can change the cooler and use water cooling, just be sure to hang onto the stock cooler in case you need to RMA it later. Just because you removed the stock cooler shouldn't be reason enough for any company to deny RMA unless the chip shows signs of damage.

da0s
01-01-07, 09:30 PM
You can change the cooler and use water cooling, just be sure to hang onto the stock cooler in case you need to RMA it later. Just because you removed the stock cooler shouldn't be reason enough for any company to deny RMA unless the chip shows signs of damage.

660 core on a 8800GTS? How in the world did you manage that? Are you using water or air and what are your temps?