PDA

View Full Version : eVGA 8800GTX/GTS New BIOS

Pages : [1] 2

garikfox
01-01-07, 06:57 AM
Dated: 12/29/06

Bios Version : 60.80.0E.00.B1
BIOS Date : 12/29/2006

Notes : The updated BIOSís are only for EVGA 8800 graphics cards, part numbers 768-P2-N831 and 640-P2-N821:

http://evga.com/support/drivers/

Phyxion
01-01-07, 08:02 AM
Enables support for Apple Cinema 23” displays

fatal1ty
01-01-07, 09:56 AM
Floppy disk drive required? I haven't installed a floppy in my case for years good thing Im not using a 23" Apple Cinema display. They cannot put out a windows flash Sheeesh.

The following drivers/files are available for your hardware and operating system combination.

Note: If you are having difficulties downloading the driver file, please make sure you completely disable any third party download managers.

Bios Version : 60.80.0E.00.B1
BIOS Date : 12/29/2006
Bios File : 8800GTS BIOS (640-P2-N821) (filesize N/A)
Bios File : 8800GTX BIOS (768-P2-N831) (filesize N/A)
Notes : The updated BIOSís are only for EVGA 8800 graphics cards, part numbers 768-P2-N831 and 640-P2-N821:

Enables support for Apple Cinema 23Ē displays
INSTRUCTIONS: Graphics card BIOS updates can be accomplished through the following:

FLOPPY (Floppy Disk and Disk Drive Required)
Download the appropriate update above
Insert blank floppy disk into drive and run executable
Restart machine, and set floppy as the primary boot device
Follow onscreen instructions
After flash, remove the floppy, restart the machine and reinstall the 97.44 graphics drivers

top3koms
01-01-07, 10:48 AM
I updated and it is working fine so far.I tried to do it using a USB pen drive instead of the floppy but I could not get the setup files to install to it.

Greeno
01-01-07, 12:11 PM
Where can I check my part #?

Is this for cards shipped in the states only? :) (I'm from the UK)

Thanks!

malachi1313
01-01-07, 12:21 PM
Part number is on the sticker on the bacckside of the card. It may also be on the original box.

jAkUp
01-01-07, 03:48 PM
You can find a USB flash drive method here:
http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,34/func,view/id,41462/catid,13/

SH0DAN
01-01-07, 04:06 PM
You can find a USB flash drive method here:
http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,34/func,view/id,41462/catid,13/

Your a god,thanks Jacob (xmasmile) I do not have a floppy drive installed on any of my comps...

Blacklash
01-01-07, 04:11 PM
Besides the apple display fix what else does the BIOS do? I'm trying to decide if I want to bother with it.

LgEnder
01-01-07, 06:25 PM
Besides the apple display fix what else does the BIOS do? I'm trying to decide if I want to bother with it.
A few have reported that the g80 squeal is gone with this BIOS, other than that we don't know much.

Crisao23
01-01-07, 06:26 PM
I updated it and the strange buzz under heavy tests/games that use HDR is gone.

Roadhog
01-01-07, 06:38 PM
I updated it and the strange buzz under heavy tests/games that use HDR is gone.

I have that also, I am now preparing to flash the BIOS.. Never done it before for a video card.. I hope I don't brick it :|

DaveW
01-01-07, 06:38 PM
I tried it and it warned about some board Id mismatch. I pressed "y" anyway and it said another warning about a board id mismatch, I pressed "y" again and it said "are you really really sure you wish to do something thats likely to f-up you graphics card?" and that time I pressed "n"... I think ill pass on this one.

Roadhog
01-01-07, 06:44 PM
Seems like I can't flash it. The HP bootable thumb drive utility doesn't support my OS. :(

LgEnder
01-01-07, 06:45 PM
I tried it and it warned about some board Id mismatch. I pressed "y" anyway and it said another warning about a board id mismatch, I pressed "y" again and it said "are you really really sure you wish to do something thats likely to f-up you graphics card?" and that time I pressed "n"... I think ill pass on this one.
Those are just the Vendor specific IDs that were changed by EVGA. You can go ahead and mod the BIOS to match your original BIOS using NiBiTor if you want them ot match your original, I always do that just for RMA reasons.

You are safe to flash either way.

garikfox
01-01-07, 06:46 PM
Did you all notice the "Cute" Beep when you hit "Y", lol and at the end of the flash. hehee (Our Vid cards Beep,lol)

Roadhog
01-01-07, 06:53 PM
meh, Flashed it and the squeeling is still there.. oh well

DaveW
01-01-07, 07:06 PM
After the first couple of confirmations it displayed a couple of big long ID/serial numbers. I noticed the last 3 digits were 831 and not 821. Those numbers sounded familiar.

I had the wrong image file!

I was following the USB key instructions previously posted. The floppy image file gtsbios.img actually contains the GTX firmware!

NOTE TO ALL using the USB key instructions:

Before flashing, check the rom file that the HP Utility put on your USB key.

N821.rom is for the GTS
N831.rom is for the GTX

LgEnder
01-01-07, 07:12 PM
After the first couple of confirmations it displayed a couple of big long ID/serial numbers. I noticed the last 3 digits were 831 and not 821. Those numbers sounded familiar.

I had the wrong image file!

I was following the USB key instructions previously posted. The floppy image file gtsbios.img actually contains the GTX firmware!

NOTE TO ALL using the USB key instructions:

Before flashing, check the rom file that the HP Utility put on your USB key.

N821.rom is for the GTS
N831.rom is for the GTX
My bad, the host I had them on before was acting weird at upload and must have used cached data from the GTX image and renamed it. Will get the real one up in a second.

EDIT: Here is a temp Rapidshare link for the GTS image http://rapidshare.com/files/9457197/gtsbios.img

Slammin
01-01-07, 07:22 PM
The only thing worse than a driver junky is a bios junky.

You folks that are just experimenting would probably be good to make a boot floppy that will automatically blind-flash your card back to your original bios, assuming you did make a backup. :P

LgEnder
01-01-07, 07:24 PM
The only thing worse than a driver junky is a bios junky.

You folks that are just experimenting would probably be good to make a boot floppy that will automatically blind-flash your card back to your original bios, assuming you did make a backup. :PI leave my original sitting on the same thumbdrive every time I flash. I just have a bat file ready so I don't have to try and type out the entire command.

scott123
01-01-07, 08:57 PM
So I assume you all have the Apple 23" display? How's it working now :eek2:

garikfox
01-01-07, 09:04 PM
meh, Flashed it and the squeeling is still there.. oh well

Its a Faulty FAN it will go out eventually, Or it will just squeal at ya all the time, lol

Blacklash
01-01-07, 09:11 PM
If I ever find out what it does beyond the apple display I'll try it. Right now I have zero issues with my card. So I will wait.

garikfox
01-01-07, 09:12 PM
If I ever find out what it does beyond the apple display I'll try it. Right now I have zero issues with my card. So I will wait.

LoL, It has to be more then that they wouldnt put out the BIOS just for that.