PDA

View Full Version : XFX 8800GTX crashing in the first few seconds of a game

Spyder
01-01-07, 11:28 AM
(First Post)My XFX card has been crashing whenever open a game...(CS:S, Oblivion, HL2) I reformatted my computer and installed the dirvers from scratch an yet i still had the problem. I finally took a look at the BSOD after it crashed and the error message said something about a THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE...Blah,Blah,Blah. The Microsoft site said its probably a hardware problem or a driver problem. I'm pretty sure i've ruled out the driver problem...:surrender :|

Spartan 117
01-01-07, 11:56 AM
what drivers are you using??

and what motherboard do you have??

Spyder
01-01-07, 08:40 PM
i have the 97.44 drivers and i dunno my mobo model because my comp's a prebuilt (XPS 600) I think its some for of nForce 4 SLI

Spartan 117
01-01-07, 08:45 PM
hmm, I had a few games crash and such with those, thats why im back to the 97.02 drivers, and also, check up on your mobo and see if there is a Bios update, my friend with a X2 4400 and A8N32-SLi Deluxe mobo had to update his Bios cuz it was really buggy and it helped a lot

da0s
01-01-07, 09:19 PM
i have the 97.44 drivers and i dunno my mobo model because my comp's a prebuilt (XPS 600) I think its some for of nForce 4 SLI

I dont think Dell uses nForce. I always thought they used Intel chipsets. I could be wrong. Anyhow, if you have another video card I would try swapping them out to see if the problem still exists.

Also, you should take out every other card in the system, disconnect all IDE/SATA drives except your main partition. The only thing you should have enabled is main HDD, memory, video card, motherboard, and CPU. Run the system like that and see if the problem still arrises and slowely plug everything back in until it happens. This will help narrow the results down and hopefully you can find the source of your problem.

It sounds to me like you have a hardware failure of some kind or either your not installing the proper chipset drivers. Make sure you install the chipset drivers right after your installation.

I always go chipset, nic, windows updates, video, sound, applications...This has always worked for me and I never have BSOD's. Matter fact the only time I have had BSOD in the past several years is from overclocking. Hehe. Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers. It might be worth a try to get on Dell's site and see what type of chipset you have then download the latest driver from the manufacturer's website.

Make sure that all of your drivers are up to date.

Also you might want to check this thread out==> http://forums.logitech.com/rss/message?board.id=video_clients&message.id=2308

It might make more sense to you. People talking about Dell computers having this same issue when using a specific type of webcam and IM software called QuickCam.

Here is another good website to help troubleshoot STOP codes. We used to use this in the field to help with debugging server BSOD's when we would migrate from one location to another. Unfortuantly, your STOP code is one of the tougher ones to troubleshoot because its unknown what has caused it. In my experience this usually relates back to a hardware failure or a driver that is not installing itself correctly.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

stevemedes
01-01-07, 09:54 PM
wait...

so u bought a dell then upgraded and put a GTX in it? the power supply might not be enough.

Xion X2
01-01-07, 10:02 PM
Random crashes are one of the symptoms of a bad PSU. What PSU are you using, and what are the specs, please?

da0s
01-01-07, 10:55 PM
wait...

so u bought a dell then upgraded and put a GTX in it? the power supply might not be enough.

Ahha! That surely does sound like what he did because he is using an XFX 8800GTX.

stevemedes
01-01-07, 11:03 PM
Ahha! That surely does sound like what he did because he is using an XFX 8800GTX.

ya thats how i deduced it :) i guess his psu has enough for 2d stuff like windows, but whenever he tries to start a game, 3d mode kicks in and there's simply not enough juice.

Spyder
01-02-07, 06:21 AM
My PSU is 600 Watts but i dunno how to get the rest of the PSU specs... I tried looking on it but its blocked by the case... I've heard people on the Dell Forums have succesfully installed it and it ran perfectly....

XFX Support
01-02-07, 11:09 AM
I would also start a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com let me know the ticket number after you do so. I would also follow the previous suggestion of disconnection all but the video card, motherboard and hard driver from the power supply to see if that helps. If so then it could be a PSU issue or a possible short in another component.

XFX Support

Xion X2
01-02-07, 11:46 AM
What make/model PSU are you running? Is it just the standard Dell PSU?

Spyder
01-02-07, 03:28 PM
yes and its actually 650 WATT

Spyder
01-02-07, 08:07 PM
no worries just got a replacement one in the mail from DELL... It works... The other one probably was defected...WOO HOO CSS HERE I COME!!!!:captnkill: (nana2) :D

nrdstrm
01-03-07, 02:38 AM
I would also start a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com let me know the ticket number after you do so. I would also follow the previous suggestion of disconnection all but the video card, motherboard and hard driver from the power supply to see if that helps. If so then it could be a PSU issue or a possible short in another component.

XFX Support

Really nice to see someone from XFX Support in here! I work at an Enthusiast Computer Store (small chain, 40 stores). We sell the heck out of both XFX and EVGA due to the outstanding reputation of both companies. Thanks for being so diligent!

TonyM16
01-03-07, 05:06 AM
Never mind, Sorry.

ncoder
01-03-07, 03:15 PM
I too have experianced the same issue.

8800 GTX SLI
EVGA 680i motherboard (P23 Bios)
Nvidia 97.44 drivers.

On accasion when booting into windows I'll get the infinite loop error or a "driver has got stuck in a thread" error.

90% of the time though it appears when loading a game, usually at the point where the 3D should kick in. However it has never occurred during gameplay.

At this point I'm not going to rule out anything as the cause, although I'm leaning towards a driver issue as I've seen several people comment on simular problems and a driver fix for the problem would mean the least hassle for me
:)
If the next driver set doesn't cure it I'll make time to investigate further.