PDA

View Full Version : AMD 64 3000+, Asus A8V-E Deluxe, 6800GS.. what is wrong?!

Dudes__Geof_
01-01-07, 12:00 PM
Happy New Years everyone, although mine seems to be starting off with computer troubles.

Here's my first and foremost problem. I used to be able to overclock. One day my system decided to be gay and not let me, at all. So I'm running my 3000+ at 1.8Ghz, which is okay, but it seems to bottleneck my video card a bit. I've lived with it for a month or two now, and it's been okay .. but it feels that tiny bit lacking. I have 1GB (2x 512mb sticks) of ram, but it's been decent and I haven't been pissed off with it yet. The Asus A8V-E Deluxe has been good too, with only one issue that required me to pull everything apart and put it back together, after that was all done and finished, nothing had been shorted out.
Getting back to the current problem, just to sum up, I can't overclock anymore, where as I used to go to 2.3Ghz just fine, now if I go as much as 200mhz my system acts like it wants to kill me.

Roadhog has told me that it's probably the motherboard, or cpu, or both dying. Any other ideas as to the cause would be greatly appreciated.

Second problem. This morning, I go to boot up my computer. Everything on my screen looks quite funky, but that didn't make me feel like having sex with it, or anything of that sort. Colours were different than what they should have been and stuff was offset too. Everything seemed to just be randomly placed around.

An idea as to the cause of that was a blown pipeline on my video card, which is an nVidia 6800GS PCI-E, for those of you who can't read a topic title. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, again.

If these are related issues I'd like to get them dealt with (and well, if they aren't, I want to get them dealt with too..)

If I have to spend any money I want to keep it at a maximum of $100 CAD, as I'm trying to save money to buy a vehicle.

Thank you everyone in advanced for any help recieved.

Roadhog
01-01-07, 01:05 PM
bump... try a diff psu.

Dudes__Geof_
01-01-07, 01:25 PM
Okay, I'm going to wait until later then .. brother is at work and I don't want to use the power supply I've abused a bit.

Dudes__Geof_
01-02-07, 12:32 AM
Bump. Okay, I tested a different PSU.

I found that my Antec Smartpower PSU had its rear fan stop working, and I don't know for how long.

I still got the same weird graphics error again, twice on boot after putting in the different PSU. (Exactly the same as in the morning when I turned it on)

Dudes__Geof_
01-02-07, 11:49 AM
I contacted a technician today, and I was told that the SmartPower2.0 fans only run when necessary, so there's times when they will stop spinning totally.

Now, back to step one.

Stoneyguy
01-02-07, 12:28 PM
What kind of temps are you getting for your CPU and Mobo? If that's within normal specs, I would suggest clearing your CMOS (take out battery for couple minutes then replace it), unhooking your main power connector to your Mobo, and reseating all your slot cards.

Quick420
01-02-07, 12:34 PM
This all sounds like a bad windows install,or disc corruption to me.Have you formatted yet?

Roadhog
01-02-07, 01:27 PM
This all sounds like a bad windows install,or disc corruption to me.Have you formatted yet?

doubt its software because it does it before hes even in the os.

Dudes__Geof_
01-03-07, 12:07 AM
CPU Temps are well within proper limits, hasn't changed at all for quite a while.

I'll try popping out the battery.. there are newer BIOS released for my motherboard, should I update it?

Stoneyguy
01-03-07, 12:48 AM
sure, if only for the possibility that your current bios may have gotten messed up somehow.

john19055
01-03-07, 10:49 AM
Also have you tried taking out one of the memory stick and see if it works with just one ,or run memtest to make sure your memory is still fine.

Dudes__Geof_
01-03-07, 11:41 AM
I ran memtest, it's fine.

Next up is running Prime95 for 12 hours ... I'll probably do that tonight.

NCC_74656
01-03-07, 12:02 PM
if u have video corruption your video card is shot, RMA it

Dudes__Geof_
01-03-07, 09:01 PM
Okay, I'm going ahead with an RMA on the video card.

Stoneyguy
01-04-07, 06:59 AM
Best of luck. The fact that you lost the ability to overclock makes me lean more towards the mobo being the problem, but I hope I'm wrong.

Dudes__Geof_
01-04-07, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I think it is the motherboard too... after being in the BIOS I can't do a warm boot. Just another thing that makes me lean to it being the motherboard. That doesn't have to be after overclocking either, that could be after just changing some small settings, or just browsing through it.

Right now I want to eliminate what could be causing problems. Having video corruption made me think of the video card, and with load it was going to 85C .. and at idle it was at 55C (13-14C more than when I got it). They are supposed to max at about 65C too. It did seem to be resolved after I partially took the faceplate off and cleaned through the gpu cooler and the memory cooler as well as the fan.

If Asus cross ships, I might cancel the 6800GS RMA for now, and get the motherboard RMA'd instead. EVGA doesn't cross ship unless you purchased your video card after November 1st '06 .. which instantly means I'm SOL to get it cross shipped. (And easily two weeks downtime).

Any ideas ...?

Edit - In the event my video card did become damaged when it was so heated up, would it still be a good idea to get it RMA'd ?