PDA

View Full Version : different mem on same mobo

baldbrad
01-01-07, 04:34 PM
I have 1 gig of ddr mem right now on my gaming machine,im going to get another gig.

Question is i have no idea what brand Mem it is,i wanna say it's PNY from Staples,but ive had it going on 3 years now.

If i get another gig of brand name DDR400 and pop it in there will i have any problems?I'm wondering if its different timings will hurt?

john19055
01-02-07, 01:52 AM
Yes you could have problem if you do not get the same brand and type,not to say different brands want work together,but they need to be the same speed and have the same timeings.Now different speeds and different timeings will work together ,but you need to put in the just one set and then boot it up and go in to the BIOS and set your timeings manually,so if you have one brand that is DDR 400 and the timeimgs are 2-3-3-6 and the new set you get has 3-3-3-8,you would need to put in the DDR 2-3-3-6 set in first and boot up and go in the bios and manually set your timeing to 3-3-3-8 and then save your setting and turn off your computer and turn off the power supply and put your other set in and then turn everthing back on and boot up and it should work,But in some cases it may still not work ,But I have always got two different sets to work that had different timeings and different speeds,But your best chance is to get the same memory with the same speed and timeings and voltage.Because if you put them all in at once and they differ in some of the timeings setting it will not boot up.

baldbrad
01-02-07, 07:43 AM
Thank you very much,very informative post,I'll DL Sandra's to see what the timings are,because i have no idea what brand it is.

john19055
01-02-07, 03:40 PM
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php CPU-Z is a better program to download and check your timings and other stuff.

Dazz
01-03-07, 07:20 AM
You shouldn't have any problems however the speed will be throttled, for eg. if you have 2GB of DDR400 and 2GB of DDR266 then it will use the SPD settings of the slowest ram, so it will be dual chanel DDR but will run at 266MHz as aposed to 400MHz etc.

baldbrad
01-05-07, 09:37 PM
Ok so the timings of my mem is 3-3-3-8,i'm going to get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141437

Timings seem to be the same,the only thing im worried about is it says 2.6v,is that the max it can handle or is that what it needs to run?

I have a gigabyte 8IPE1000 pro mobo,and when it comes to voltage im a noob.i Used CPU-z,saw what voltage my cpu was running at but didnt see any so the ram.