PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling Radiator recommendations? 88GTX SLi System!

GuOD
01-01-07, 09:56 PM
Hey everyone,

I've picked out the parts I plan to use for my WC setup as follows. I'm trying to decide between the Black Ice GT Stealth 360 and GT Xtreme 360 Radiators mainly. Will probably upgrade to quad core when it's used in games.

The radiator will most likely just be placed on top of my Tj09 with tubes run through the precut holes in the back

MCW60x2 gpu
MCW30 chipset
Apogee/TDX cpu
1/2 tubing clearflex
MCP655 pump
GTX or GTS radiator

My setup can be seen in my sig. I hope to OC heavily :)

Xion X2
01-01-07, 10:08 PM
Hello, fellow WC'er. :cool2:

I can't comment on the BIX Extreme, but I have the GTS Stealth 360 in my rig. Here is my setup/temps (CPU is at 1.5v, GPU is same temp under load):

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=23179&stc=1&d=1167637467

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=23175&stc=1&d=1167632575

Good luck w/ your setup.

GuOD
01-01-07, 10:12 PM
Wow, that setup looks beautiful! What case is it?

I wish I could somehow mount the radiator in my case but I don't think I can fit it, except externally. Unless I possibly got the stealth and moved my DVD-RW down to the bottom. But the third fan would be blowing into nothing as I only have 2x120mm openings at the top of my case.

I'm not cutting/drilling anything.

Roadhog
01-01-07, 10:21 PM
are your fans blowing it or out? If they are blowing out, try reversing them so they suck air into the case, instead of sucking the hot air through your radiator.

da0s
01-01-07, 10:35 PM
I can comment on the BIX cause I used to own one. They are probably one of the most extreme radiators on the market. You will not be able to come close to maxxing out the potential of the amount of heat it can dissipate. It will all depend on the fans you use to cool it and your ambient temps. I think it can dissipate up to 6 or 8 thousand BTU's per hour which is absolutely insane considering most complete systems including chipset, CPU, and video cards might add up to a couple thousand BTU's and thats being conservative.

Roadhog
01-01-07, 10:37 PM
they may be nice radiators.. But you can't beat a heater core.

Xion X2
01-01-07, 10:49 PM
Wow, that setup looks beautiful! What case is it?

I wish I could somehow mount the radiator in my case but I don't think I can fit it, except externally. Unless I possibly got the stealth and moved my DVD-RW down to the bottom. But the third fan would be blowing into nothing as I only have 2x120mm openings at the top of my case.

I'm not cutting/drilling anything.

Case is a Lian Li PCG70. Here are a few more shots:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=23140&d=1167542616
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=23181&stc=1&d=1167637174

If you only have two openings, you may want to consider the Thermochill PA240. Thermochill's the best on the market; a PA240 I hear is equivalent to a BIX or Swiftech 360. That would allow you to mount it internally which, IMO, looks much, much better.

GuOD
01-01-07, 11:13 PM
I just noticed in your picture that the tubing comes out of the bottom of the card (I assumed the tubing goes in vertically). It seems like it'd be impossible to fit my X-fi in between the cards if the tubing is there??

I'm ordering from www.NCIX.com and they don't seem to stock the Thermochill PA240 so it's not really an option.

Xion X2
01-01-07, 11:34 PM
I just noticed in your picture that the tubing comes out of the bottom of the card (I assumed the tubing goes in vertically). It seems like it'd be impossible to fit my X-fi in between the cards if the tubing is there??

I'm ordering from www.NCIX.com and they don't seem to stock the Thermochill PA240 so it's not really an option.

You can arrange the fittings on that GPU block however you like as long as they're not vertically on top of each other. I arranged it that particular way because I originally had a northbridge block in the loop and things were a little cluttered over the graphics card w/ the 1/2" tubing.

performance-pcs.com has the Thermochill PA240 in stock often. I order a lot of stuff from those guys and they always come through. [Edit: just clicked your link and saw it's a Canadian site. You may still want to check online retailers in your country to see if they have the PA240 in stock.)

Muppet
01-01-07, 11:58 PM
What temps do you get on the card at idle and under load Xion X2

Muppet
01-02-07, 12:05 AM
The Danger Den Waterblocks are arriving in NZ tomorrow, so i wanted to know what the temps where like because i'm considering getting a couple

Xion X2
01-02-07, 12:10 AM
Under full load the highest I've seen the GPU temp so far is 52C while playing Call of Duty 2 at maximum settings and 8xAA. That's at 1680x1050 resolution. Most of the time it sticks at 51C. The idle sticks at 46C because I have the 2d manually overclocked through ATi Tool (it'd be lower if I clocked the card down). If I change the 2d clock then the 3d won't overclock properly when I open up a 3d application. I've tried it, and for whatever reason it doesn't work.

So w/ the overclock I have now it's 46C idle and 51C load for the most part. That's w/ a CPU block in my loop.

GuOD
01-02-07, 12:37 AM
Looks very interesting.

I just realised there's actually space between my 2x120mm outtake fans so I don't even think a 240 would fit perfectly.

I'll have to look at it in some more detail before making a final decision I guess.

I appreciate all the input everyone has given me.

Is it okay to simply rest the rad on top of my case above the 2x outake fans and just leave it there or does it need to be attached/supported?

I wish I could find pics of someone's WC'd TJ09.

I think I need a heavy duty rad / 360 size because I'm doing 2x 88GTX, CPU, and chipset.

Xion X2
01-02-07, 12:48 AM
Looks very interesting.

Is it okay to simply rest the rad on top of my case above the 2x outake fans and just leave it there or does it need to be attached/supported?

I wish I could find pics of someone's WC'd TJ09.

I think I need a heavy duty rad / 360 size because I'm doing 2x 88GTX, CPU, and chipset.

I would think it'd be okay to put the rad there other than the fact it's going to get hot air blown on it. But then that's going to happen pretty much anywhere (including if it was inside the case)

And you don't necessarily need a 360 rad; as I said, the Thermochills are so strong that a 240 is equivalent to a 360 in most other brands. They're far superior to any other rad on the market. I would've gone w/ one of them but they didn't come in blue. :p

GuOD
01-02-07, 12:55 AM
I would think it'd be okay to put the rad there other than the fact it's going to get hot air blown on it. But then that's going to happen pretty much anywhere (including if it was inside the case)

And you don't necessarily need a 360 rad; as I said, the Thermochills are so strong that a 240 is equivalent to a 360 in most other brands. They're far superior to any other rad on the market. I would've gone w/ one of them but they didn't come in blue. :p

Hehe, I don't really care much about colors so I won't let that stop me (but I'm happy my video PCBs are black!)

I tried looking for the PA240 and I can't find it anywhere, even performance-pcs.com. I'm located in Canada too so it makes it difficult. NCIX.com is really my preferred store, and they seem to carry Black Ice / Swiftech ones, and then some Thermochill 1xx series, but no 2xx series.

I'm heading on a trip for a day but when I'm back I'm going to investigate more and see if I can make a decision! I'm excited!

Xion X2
01-02-07, 01:46 AM
Sorry, I got the part # wrong. The Thermochill is actually the PA 120.2. Here's a link:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200&products_id=3943

GuOD
01-03-07, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the link. I took a picture of the top of my case.

http://i16.tinypic.com/4bnvgcm.jpg

It looks as though the radiator has some space between the fans as well. Maybe it will be a perfect fit?

Xion X2
01-03-07, 12:35 PM
Yeah, after looking at the pic of the PA120.2 and the top of your case, it very well may fit fine. I'd go for it. I think you'll get better results out of a PA120.2 w/ full coverage fans than you would a 360 rad of some sort w/ two fans on it.

Looks like the TJ-09 was designed for a two-fan rad in the top. Inquisitive.

If you go that route, I would just make sure you get some fans w/ decent airflow. I'd get some that push at least 60cfm, maybe more. Those two GTX's are going to heat up your loop, big time.

Slammin
01-03-07, 02:02 PM
That rad is designed to work well with low cfm/quiet fans. I have the PA-160 and I use nexus fans and it does a great job and is very quiet.