PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD & DD sound quality

SH64
01-02-07, 12:28 PM
On behlaf my friend i'm going to ask about this issue. i'm not really into the sound/audio stuff , i'm just a graphics wh0re as you may all know :D

so my friend who has a HD DVD player noticed something wierd .. he says that he's getting poor sound quality with movies that use Dolby Digital .. he says the quality is even worse than the regular DVD!
however with movies that support DTS the quality is superior which is in order.

he says you can try King Kong - the movie - for exmaple (which comes bundled with the HDDVD player) & compare the sound quality.

so is this like a well-known issue with the HD DVD ? is there a way to get around it or fix it ?

nekrosoft13
01-02-07, 12:31 PM
i did read on avs forum or xbox-scene that there was some issue with xbox 360+hd-dvd drive and dolby digital playback. supposelly MS is working on it.

i just glance thru it, but those two places would be the best to check out

SH64
01-02-07, 12:33 PM
i did read on avs forum or xbox-scene that there was some issue with xbox 360+hd-dvd drive and dolby digital playback. supposelly MS is working on it.

i just glance thru it, but those two places would be the best to check out
Thanks , if you can find the link for that i'll be grateful & so is my friend! (xmasmile)
i'll look there aswell.

EDIT : ok i searched around & seems its indeed a known issue with the HD-DVD!!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=744036&page=4&pp=30
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=749463&page=1&pp=30

nekrosoft13
01-02-07, 12:54 PM
i found that info while i was looking for information on HD-DVD add-on and PowerDVD 7 Ultra

Lyme
01-02-07, 10:40 PM
It isn't a problem with "HD-DVD" it is a problem with the xbox360 hd-dvd player software. The problem stems from the 360 decoding all the audio streams and mixing them all together at the same volume level. Otherwise the sound quality is fine, just the volume levels of each of the sound sources is off. Thankfully Microsoft knows and is working on updating their software to fix it.
From all other reports, other HD-DVD players do not suffer from this issue.

Ruined
01-02-07, 11:21 PM
There is an issue with 360 HD DVD audio which will be fixed on the next patch for it within a month or so. The fix will be that DD+ will be transcoded to DTS instead of DD.

Ironically, DD+ -> DD sounds crappy but DD+ -> DTS sounds great. :)

LurkerLito
01-03-07, 01:50 AM
Ruined: That isn't quite right. The next patch is suppose to fix the DD+ to DD 640kbps transcode and also add a DTS 1.5mbps output option.

Lyme
01-03-07, 02:05 AM
Either way, MS knows and is working to do something about it. How good the solution, we will see.

saturnotaku
01-03-07, 07:05 AM
Either way, MS knows and is working to do something about it. How good the solution, we will see.

It's reasonable to think the problem will be fixed in its entirety, or a workaround will be released that will have little impact on the end user. Sony could learn a thing or two. Incidentally, has there been a newer update released to the whole PS3 scaling issue?

Marvel_us
01-03-07, 09:45 AM
It's reasonable to think the problem will be fixed in its entirety, or a workaround will be released that will have little impact on the end user. Sony could learn a thing or two. Incidentally, has there been a newer update released to the whole PS3 scaling issue?

Nope but imo it's still too early to judge Sony's updating system. Hell, people aren't even sure if that issue can be fixed with an update.

Lyme
01-03-07, 02:58 PM
By the sounds of things http://arstechnica.com/articles/headstart.ars Sony did not include a hardware scaler, while MS did. Because of this, Sonys only real option for right now is to write a software scaler. As things are decent software scalers can be cpu intensive. Does the PS3 have the cpu time to spare?

ENU291
01-03-07, 03:28 PM
By the sounds of things http://arstechnica.com/articles/headstart.ars Sony did not include a hardware scaler, while MS did. Because of this, Sonys only real option for right now is to write a software scaler. As things are decent software scalers can be cpu intensive. Does the PS3 have the cpu time to spare?
Sony should be able come up with a way to deinterlace and scale SD DVDs in software since all the PS3 will be doing at that time is playing a movie but scaling all games to 1080p regardless of the resolution the game was programmed for is going to be a problem. Having the PS3 constantly switching from one resolution to another resolution seems like a bad design. You go from a 1080p XMB to a 720P game then back to 1080p for the XMB and then to 480i for an SD DVD...:wtf:

Marvel_us
01-03-07, 03:37 PM
Sony should be able come up with a way to deinterlace and scale SD DVDs in software since all the PS3 will be doing at that time is playing a movie but scaling all games to 1080p regardless of the resolution the game was programmed for is going to be a problem. Having the PS3 constantly switching from one resolution to another resolution seems like a bad design. You go from a 1080p XMB to a 720P game then back to 1080p for the XMB and then to 480i for an SD DVD...:wtf:

Playing a movie is one thing but what about gaming? That probably can be fixed with a game patch or something but I'm not really sure how they'd go about it.

ENU291
01-03-07, 03:56 PM
I think Sony is not going to do anything about the issue with 720p games and 1080i HDTVs. If you're TV can not display 720p resolutions then you are FUBAR and will either have to live with that game running at 480p or run out and buy a new TV. I don't see Sony adding a hardware scaler into the PS3 at a later date.

thor1182
01-03-07, 03:58 PM
by adding a new chip to it, they are admitting that they screwed up. I don't know if they can do that.

Marvel_us
01-03-07, 04:36 PM
by adding a new chip to it, they are admitting that they screwed up. I don't know if they can do that.

Not even that. By adding it the situation would get very messy. I doubt any company would go out of their way to please a certain amount of consumers.

thor1182
01-03-07, 05:04 PM
to an extent, MS is with the backwards compatibility work they did for the 360

ENU291
01-03-07, 05:22 PM
to an extent, MS is with the backwards compatibility work they did for the 360
Hmmmm... I think the BC work on the 360 and the scaling on the PS3 are two different beast! Microsoft claimed BC with Xbox titles since day one but Sony has never claimed that the PS3 would upscale SD DVDs or be fully compatable with every single TV ever created.

thor1182
01-03-07, 05:30 PM
I remember them being sketchy about it. Like it was not a priority, and at one point said they were going to do it at all. However I do see your point.

Personally I always thought that this gen of systems dictated you had to go out and buy new equipment for everything anyways, otherwise you would not get the full use of your purchase. Sort of like having a quad core CPU with SLi 8800 GTX's and only having a 17" LCD that only does 1024 x 768... you wasting money you put into your PC with that lower end monitor.

ENU291
01-03-07, 08:08 PM
Well guys... I was attempting give you an idea of what the quality of the HD movie downloads available on the Live Marketplace were like compared to an HD-DVD but I ran into a problem. The movie I chose was Superman Returns. I got a copy on HD-DVD from Netflix so with a 2000 point card I received for Xmas proceeded to download the HD version from Marketplace. The download is 7GBs. I figured it would take a bit so I left my 360 on overnight. In the morning (about 12 hours later) it was only at 15%! I figured I'd leave it on till I got back from work. Well 22 hours later it's only at 22%!! WTF! I called MS and started asking them questions about this new Video downloading feature. Once I asked why after 22 hours I only had 22% of the movie downloaded the guy on the phone quickly refunded my points and told me that some movies download fine and some don't. He told me to try again in a few week. That answer sounds a bit flaky but as long as they refunded my points I really don't care. All in all a pretty bad experience with this new Video on demand service from MS.

Marvel_us
01-03-07, 09:02 PM
Well guys... I was attempting give you an idea of what the quality of the HD movie downloads available on the Live Marketplace were like compared to an HD-DVD but I ran into a problem. The movie I chose was Superman Returns. I got a copy on HD-DVD from Netflix so with a 2000 point card I received for Xmas proceeded to download the HD version from Marketplace. The download is 7GBs. I figured it would take a bit so I left my 360 on overnight. In the morning (about 12 hours later) it was only at 15%! I figured I'd leave it on till I got back from work. Well 22 hours later it's only at 22%!! WTF! I called MS and started asking them questions about this new Video downloading feature. Once I asked why after 22 hours I only had 22% of the movie downloaded the guy on the phone quickly refunded my points and told me that some movies download fine and some don't. He told me to try again in a few week. That answer sounds a bit flaky but as long as they refunded my points I really don't care. All in all a pretty bad experience with this new Video on demand service from MS.

Same kinda thing I get with PSN sometimes. Some of the things I download go very quick and others take quite a bit longer. I'm not sure if it's because I'm using wireless or not though. I've never tried downloading through a wired connection.