PDA

View Full Version : 75 Million PS3's Sold By 2010!

Pages : [1] 2

TiKiMaN1
01-02-07, 02:20 PM
:rofl :lol: :rofl

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163625.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

:captnkill: Maybe when pigs fly or something. :maxshoot:

I was at Best Buy last night and they had 20 PS3's waiting to be sold, but lo and behold they just sat there. I was talking to the store manager and he was not happy at all about the PS3 sales.:D

evilchris
01-02-07, 02:31 PM
At $499 - $599 ? LOL

Marvel_us
01-02-07, 02:34 PM
The PS3 craze is no where near as big as it was when PS2 hit. Being as how Sony has been operating up until now I don't see them generating hype soon either.

SeriTonin
01-02-07, 02:36 PM
BullShiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiit.

TiKiMaN1
01-02-07, 02:37 PM
Maybe this research firm needs to research why their heads are full of penne pasta instead of brains.:p

Bad_Boy
01-02-07, 02:38 PM
Still amazes me how ps2 is 110+ million and STILL selling strong.

Marvel_us
01-02-07, 02:40 PM

That's exactly why I say if the PS3 had the hype it had it would easily do 75 mil by 2010. PS2 reached 100mil in about half the time it took the PS1 to hit that target.

However with the high price point I don't see PS3 hitting 75mil by 2010 unless Sony do something big.

TiKiMaN1
01-02-07, 02:43 PM
However with the high price point I don't see PS3 hitting 75mil by 2010 unless Sony do something big.

Maybe if they drop the price to like $50 persay.;) I'm sure the price will come down but 75 million.....there is just no way. Not at the rate the PS3 is slowly leaving the shelves right now.

evilchris
01-02-07, 02:54 PM

it's $150.

Marvel_us
01-02-07, 02:55 PM
Maybe if they drop the price to like $50 persay.;) I'm sure the price will come down but 75 million.....there is just no way. Not at the rate the PS3 is slowly leaving the shelves right now.

The price imo is the number 1 reason why people aren't snatching it up. Honestly it is a very good system but the average gamer could careless about HD and all the other "fluff".

Hell even my friends who know nothing about HD and own PS2s say 600 dollars is too much for a game console and they haven't bought one. I don't care how much Sony wants to call the PS3 a computer, computer entertainment device, blu ray player etc...The average person sees it as a game machine and that's what they(Sony) should focus on.

Bad_Boy
01-02-07, 03:02 PM
it's $150.
so was the xbox?

The price imo is the number 1 reason why people aren't snatching it up. Honestly it is a very good system but the average gamer could careless about HD and all the other "fluff".
Pretty much when it all boils down to it. 2007 holiday season should be interesting to see what happens imo.

evilchris
01-02-07, 03:06 PM
so was the xbox?

Your point? PS3 won't sell like PS2 as it can't hit the price point where systems sell like crazy. Had Sony used their non existent intelligence and omitted the BD drive, then maybe.

Bad_Boy
01-02-07, 03:07 PM
Your point? PS3 won't sell like PS2 as it can't hit the price point where systems sell like crazy.
My point was that ps2 and xbox were the same price.

I never said PS3 would sell like the PS2. did I?

Bad_Boy
01-02-07, 03:17 PM
Just wondering, where do you guys think the Wii will fit at the end of the console cycle when this is all done with? It definately has the price advantage, but do you think games and hardware will hold it back in few years?

thor1182
01-02-07, 03:24 PM
naw, I think in terms of numbers it might win out. You have a lot of people that buy more than one system to get a more complete gaming experience. The Wii also has the pull for non gamers, so I think it has the potential to do real well outside the video and audiophile people.

TiKiMaN1
01-02-07, 03:41 PM
Just wondering, where do you guys think the Wii will fit at the end of the console cycle when this is all done with? It definately has the price advantage, but do you think games and hardware will hold it back in few years?

Well I just see the continuance of more great First party titles such as the Metroid Prime Series, Mario Kart, Mario Platformers, Smash Bros, Zelda and so on.

Also 3rd party looks very good as well. It is a telling sign when Ubisoft and EA dedicate sperate studios just for Wii exclusives.

EA Salt Lake is only 30 mins from my house as I have said before. and the studio only designs Wii games.:D

I firmly believe that developers are intrigued by the Wii and nifty controls.(nana2)

|MaguS|
01-02-07, 03:49 PM
Also 3rd party looks very good as well. It is a telling sign when Ubisoft and EA dedicate sperate studios just for Wii exclusives.

Dedicated Studios that produce nothing but ports... Look at Ubisofts offerings, Red Steel is the only exclusive title. Even Raving Rabbids made it to other systems. Their next offering is Two Thrones....

EA? Pfft ...

X360 and PS3 still have alot stronger backing then the Wii. Even with all the rumors of developers dropping exclusives from the PS3, none of those games are rumored to be going to the Wii but rather the X360...

thor1182
01-02-07, 03:56 PM
I don't think the Wii will need as many games to still do well. They made it more of a niche system, and as such I think it has a lot of potential.

As soon as I find one, I'll get one. I know a few people that are going to get/have a Wii and one of the other systems. Even if it is not a main system, you will still have people getting it for the few key games, and the fun factor with multi player in get together settings that will make it do well.

brady
01-02-07, 04:01 PM
I just got back from BestBuy where I saw 17 60gig PS3's on a stand in the games section. If I wasn't having so much fun with GoW and I felt more comfortable spending 600+ for another video console I would have picked one up. :captnkill:

LycosV
01-02-07, 04:16 PM
I think when all the dust settles the Wii will come in second with the 360 in first and the PS3 in third.
The PS3 is just too darn expensive and although the Wii is interesting, it's control scheme is too different for the majority of "normal" games. The Wii will make money and keep Nintendo in the game for another round but I don't think that it will come out on top.

toxikneedle
01-02-07, 04:19 PM
I think a major factor in the PS2 selling over 100 mil is simply due to the fact that pretty much anyone who had a PS1, had a good enough reason to buy the PS2. I don't think that's the case for PS3 and the PS2 owners.

msxyz
01-02-07, 04:31 PM
I think a major factor in the PS2 selling over 100 mil is simply due to the fact that pretty much anyone who had a PS1, had a good enough reason to buy the PS2. I don't think that's the case for PS3 and the PS2 owners.
Spot on. Couple that with a huge library of games and many exclusives and you have all the good reasons you'll ever need to own a PS2.

I say its too early to make long term prediction. The battle will be won or lost over the next 18 months.

SeriTonin
01-02-07, 04:33 PM
I think the PS2 is STILL selling so well because 1.) It's $129.99 2.) Has a huge library of proven a-list games 3.) Word of mouth

I think financially Wii is the best set, simply because thanks to the older hardware, Nintendo is actually making money on each system sold, not taking a loss like the other big guys.

That's the big misconception, everyone says oh lookie, this sytem is doing poor because it only has 3 titles or this one sucks cause its pricey. At the end of the day it's about the mighty dollar and Nintendo has been pulling a bigger profit than anyone for years and thanks to the cheap cost of Wii, will continue to do so for years to come. Will Wii finish in 1st place? I doubt it, but I gurantee you Nintendo will generate more profit than Sony and Microsoft combined this generation.

Bman212121
01-02-07, 05:30 PM
I think the PS2 is STILL selling so well because 1.) It's $129.99 2.) Has a huge library of proven a-list games 3.) Word of mouth

I think financially Wii is the best set, simply because thanks to the older hardware, Nintendo is actually making money on each system sold, not taking a loss like the other big guys.

That's the big misconception, everyone says oh lookie, this sytem is doing poor because it only has 3 titles or this one sucks cause its pricey. At the end of the day it's about the mighty dollar and Nintendo has been pulling a bigger profit than anyone for years and thanks to the cheap cost of Wii, will continue to do so for years to come. Will Wii finish in 1st place? I doubt it, but I gurantee you Nintendo will generate more profit than Sony and Microsoft combined this generation.

I'd have to disagree with you. Think previous gen, the gamecube is in the same spot that the Wii is right now, it was older hardware and costed less than PS2 and xbox, yet it didn't do that overly well in comparison. I think the new controller and advertising is what has really helped Nintendo so far. Also it seems like they are getting some of the more mature titles on their console, which is probably helping bring in people from a larger age group.

Also, it is highly unlikely that Nintendo will make more than both MS and Sony. Even if they are making more $$$ per console it probably won't make up for the shear volume of sales. Remember that the device itself isn't really even the money maker, it is the accessories and games for it. I only spent $600 for a PS3, but I already have $400 in extras for it. I would imagine a large chunk of each game goes directly to Sony, which is where the money is really at.

I also think that it is way to early to be making bets right now, and that next holiday would be a better time to evaluate sales. Both the Wii and the PS3 have a lot of potential to blow the 360's sales numbers out of the water, if they get a must have game out before shopping season.

Zelda_fan
01-02-07, 05:33 PM
Remember that the device itself isn't really even the money maker, it is the accessories and games for it. I only spent $600 for a PS3, but I already have $400 in extras for it. I would imagine a large chunk of each game goes directly to Sony, which is where the money is really at.

The attach rate for the PS3 has so far been extremely low. So you are in the minority with your $400 of purchased extras. The Wii on the other hand has had a great attach rate with games and accessories.