PDA

View Full Version : X-Fi and BF2142 - Please help

darkrider01
01-02-07, 10:41 PM
I'm having a ton of issues with BF2142 (Battlefield 2142) and the X-Fi. Maybe it's not specifically with the X-Fi, it may be Creative's drivers.

When playing BF2142, I get horrible sound artifacts, skips, and repeats of the same sounds for about 20 seconds, then BSOD. It usually starts when there is an aerial strike on my position. Now if I Alt+tab out as soon as it starts it's little fiasco, then I can Alt+tab back in and play for about 5 more minutes before it starts again.

The BSOD points to the ha20x2k.sys file. That is an X-Fi driver file. I've seen other people having BSOD's with the same culprit, but it seems they get the problems randomly. I only get this issue when running BF2142.

I have tried almost everything I can think of that involves keeping my precious soundcard. I set the sound back to everything but "Emulation Only" under sound settings. I also tried changing the "Sample rate Conversion Quality" all the way down to "Good", but no luck. I reduced my sound settings in game down to medium. I turned off the "X-Fi" special setting and everything, to no avail. I even replaced the "ha20x2k.sys" with another version....still problems.

I'm getting near the end of my rope with this one. I love my soundcard, but being unable to play a game that touts "X-Fi" all over it is a bit much for me.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for your time :o

BCKator
01-03-07, 11:35 PM
Darkrider:
Sorry to hear about your problems.:(
FWIW, I have X-Fi and BF 2142 and have had such issues.
My X-Fi driver is dated 10/29/2005 version 5.12.14.1144
I also have BF2142 update 1.10 installed.
Audio settings are Creative X-Fi, ultra-high, EAX-enabled.
-- BCK

Stoneyguy
01-04-07, 06:57 AM
Let me start by saying I don't know the answer to your particular problem and I won't pretend to. Here is a list of things to "try" and hope that something may work.

1) I'm assuming you have the latest driver for your soundcard.
2) You will need to DL the latest version of DX 9. I know you may think you have the latest with Direct 9C, but there have been many versions of DX9c.
3) Make sure your onboard Soundcard is disabled in the bios. Even though it's not selected as your default sound device, it's possible your onboard can be causing interference.
4) Run dxdiag through the run option in the start menu. Click on the sound tab. Test your Direct Sound. If there are no issues, try the game again. If it continues to play oddly, go back to this section and lower the Acceleration by one notch and try again.

nekrosoft13
01-04-07, 07:55 AM
i googled the ha20x2k.sys there are allot of BSOD caused by that file.

like some people said, get the latest driver, that would be the first mode.

Its recomended to uninstal the old creative driver before instaling the new one

CaptNKILL
01-04-07, 08:54 AM
Its recomended to uninstal the old creative driver before instaling the new one
I don't think you can. The drivers you download are updates. I guess the ideal way to do it would be to uninstall the software completely, install it off the CD then install the latest update from creative.

They may work if you install them alone (i havent tried it) but you'll definitely be missing some of the components and programs.

nekrosoft13
01-04-07, 09:08 AM
I don't think you can. The drivers you download are updates. I guess the ideal way to do it would be to uninstall the software completely, install it off the CD then install the latest update from creative.

They may work if you install them alone (i havent tried it) but you'll definitely be missing some of the components and programs.

yes you can, but don't use main setup exe

extract the file, and run the ctaxx.exe (something like that) thats the original installer.

it will install perfectly fine

darkrider01
01-07-07, 11:09 PM
Let me start by saying I don't know the answer to your particular problem and I won't pretend to. Here is a list of things to "try" and hope that something may work.

1) I'm assuming you have the latest driver for your soundcard.
2) You will need to DL the latest version of DX 9. I know you may think you have the latest with Direct 9C, but there have been many versions of DX9c.
3) Make sure your onboard Soundcard is disabled in the bios. Even though it's not selected as your default sound device, it's possible your onboard can be causing interference.
4) Run dxdiag through the run option in the start menu. Click on the sound tab. Test your Direct Sound. If there are no issues, try the game again. If it continues to play oddly, go back to this section and lower the Acceleration by one notch and try again.

I actually tried all of these after your post. I even went a step futher and updated my BIOS....still no love. Is it the opinion of anyone else that this must be a game engine bug? BF2142 is the only game I have experienced this in so far.

J-Mag
01-08-07, 01:09 PM
If you disable SLI do you get the same sound issues?

darkrider01
01-08-07, 02:05 PM
If you disable SLI do you get the same sound issues?

I will give that a shot tonight. If that doesn't work, my next course will be to remove one of the 7800's all together. Will update after experimentation.

Bman212121
01-08-07, 06:58 PM
Are you running xp 32 bit or xp 64 bit?

Creative drivers :captnkill: (pb) on 64 bit. I can't even enable X-FI hardware acceleration in BF2. I think the 2142 demo is the same way.

darkrider01
01-08-07, 08:24 PM
I am running XP 32bit.

Well, I disabled SLi and the sound is now perfect. Anyone have any ideas what that means exactly? Is it a resources issue?