PDA

View Full Version : console/HD on lcd or plasma?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Imbroglio
01-03-07, 09:39 AM
okay next week i will be picking up a 360 as i already own games and a controller and will be playing it on my viewsonic in my sig, down the road, (some time in march or april) i am looking to upgrade my old 34" sony sd tv to either a 42" plasma or lcd... the plasma i am currently looking at is the panasonic th-42px600u, now i understand that lcds have higher resolutions, yet lack the picture quality of a plasma display, i also understand that sd broadcasts look like pure sh!t on a lcd compared to sd on a plasma, hence why i've been looking more towards plasmas. Am i looking in the right category? should i check out dlp as well? the only thing that drives me away from dlp is the rainbow effect on white images, or is that just a rumor? like i said, i'll be using a 360/hd-dvd/hd-broadcasts and also possibly hooking up my computer, using it as a htpc. basically i need help.

ENU291
01-03-07, 10:14 AM
How much are you willing to spend? As per gaming on a Plasma vs LCD I recommend LCD since
A. Plasma displays usually have a highly reflective coating on the screen that can be distracting depending on your home lighting and
B. Plasma displays still have the potential for burn in.
LCD HDTVs have come a long way and at times rival Plasma HDTV picture quality. As per SD programs the Plasma might be the better choice since LCDs don't look as good when they are not displaying content at their default resolution but some manufacturers have come up with DNR solutions that help alleviate that problem (i.e Samsung's DNI tech).
So my suggestion is for pure gaming and PC use-LCD, for mostly home theater use-Plasma and for an all purpose solution-digital projection (DLP, LCoS).

BTW if you are worried about the so called "Rainbow" effect on DLP TVs just buy the Samsung DLP with the LED lighting option. Since the spinning color wheel was removed the rainbow effect is essentially eliminated! :)

thor1182
01-03-07, 10:25 AM
do DLP's have burn in issues?

(edit)
As a side note, I have not kept up with TV tech in a long time, so I am bit behind on the drawbacks of each, and what has changed. Last I know DLP's looked good, but had issues with the mirrors wearing out.

ENU291
01-03-07, 10:34 AM
do DLP's have burn in issues?

(edit)
As a side note, I have not kept up with TV tech in a long time, so I am bit behind on the drawbacks of each, and what has changed. Last I know DLP's looked good, but had issues with the mirrors wearing out.
No phosphors equal no burn in for digital projection TVs. As per things that might need replacement on DLPs the only thing that you might have to replace over time on DLP sets is the lamp. The typical rear projection TV might need that lamp replaced after about 8000-12000 hours of use. (typically every 4 to 6 years depending on usage.)

Imbroglio
01-03-07, 10:48 AM
plasma burn-in isn't what it used to be at all though, many sets, including the panasonic i am looking at use a series of white/grey screen wipes that elimate and image that is starting to be burned in.

i'm willing to spend around $1700 for the display, i know dlp will give me the largest area per dollar, i'm just not sure how i feel about projection devices.

evilchris
01-03-07, 11:11 AM
i'm just not sure how i feel about projection devices.

Superior PQ in every way as compared to any flat panel. As a person who will spend whatever, I got Sony's KDS-R70XBR2 which is an LCoS based set.

Imbroglio
01-03-07, 11:21 AM
is it possible to find a dlp set with a vga/dvi input? because using a decent sized 1080p display with my pc is something i would love to do.

that is also my concern with plasmas, as their res usually tends to be 1024x768 and wouldn't really want to run my pc at that res

ENU291
01-03-07, 11:24 AM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-psiQ2Ij2ysY/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=305HLS5679

HDMI and VGA inputs. You'll need a HDMI to DVI adapter if you want to go the all digital route.

Imbroglio
01-03-07, 11:27 AM
*goes off looking at more dlp sets*

evilchris
01-03-07, 11:32 AM
Stay away from the Sony's if you want the VGA, they neutered it. Probably because X360 uses it.

Imbroglio
01-03-07, 11:37 AM
wow, i already found something i'm gonna look more into: Samsung HL-S5088W

i thought they were heavier than that, only 65lbs? most plasmas will blow out your back if you try to lift them

ENU291
01-03-07, 01:08 PM
wow, i already found something i'm gonna look more into: Samsung HL-S5088W

i thought they were heavier than that, only 65lbs? most plasmas will blow out your back if you try to lift them
I suggest you read up on that model. Make sure that it can "accept" a 1080p signal... not just display one. Some earlier sets were not able to accept a 1080p signal.

Imbroglio
01-03-07, 02:02 PM
i'm am aware that the set only accepts a 1080i signal, but for a 50" display that does 1080i and has a resolution of 1920x1200 resolution for my computer is exactly what i am looking for, plus the price of the display is right around 1500.

my only question, to those of you that own dlp tvs, is the vertical viewing angle really as bad as they say it is, ie without looking head on at the tv, it dims down to nothing and can hardly be seen

evilchris
01-03-07, 02:10 PM
my only question, to those of you that own dlp tvs, is the vertical viewing angle really as bad as they say it is, ie without looking head on at the tv, it dims down to nothing and can hardly be seen
Depends on the quality of the TV. I've got a 140 degree viewing angle on my LCoS which is near perfect.

Imbroglio
01-03-07, 05:35 PM
I suggest you read up on that model. Make sure that it can "accept" a 1080p signal... not just display one. Some earlier sets were not able to accept a 1080p signal.

the specs say 1080p over component and hdmi, which is awsome, as the 50" sony is 1080p only over hdmi..... now i just need to find a reseller to see this thing in person

saturnotaku
01-03-07, 05:41 PM
So it only does 1080i over VGA?

grey_1
01-03-07, 05:44 PM
Just curious, a coworker just had circuit city out to repair his samsung lcd. The repair tech told him the PS3 burnt out the 'vision sensor' in the tv, and to not use ANY consoles with it. he and his son bought it for gaming, they have both ps3 and xbox 360. He said it outputs 1080i only. I'll ask him the model number tomorrow, but that sounds screwy to me. That repair tech bsing him?

betterdan
01-03-07, 05:54 PM
is it possible to find a dlp set with a vga/dvi input? because using a decent sized 1080p display with my pc is something i would love to do.

Yep. My WD-52631 52 inch DLP Mitsubishi has a DVI-I pc connection as well as 2 HDMI and 2 component inputs. It outputs 1080P and it also accepts a 1080P input signal over HDMi and DVI. Circuit City has it on sale for $1899 although I picked it up for $1699 on black Friday. Excellent quality.

ENU291
01-03-07, 06:17 PM
Just curious, a coworker just had circuit city out to repair his samsung lcd. The repair tech told him the PS3 burnt out the 'vision sensor' in the tv, and to not use ANY consoles with it. he and his son bought it for gaming, they have both ps3 and xbox 360. He said it outputs 1080i only. I'll ask him the model number tomorrow, but that sounds screwy to me. That repair tech bsing him?
Vision sensor? AFAIK vision sensors are mini cameras that are used for testing video equipment. It's possible that Samsung has some type of vision sensor installed in their LCD TVs that monitor and detect video noise or aliasing and then apply different levels of digital noise reduction or edge enhancements to help improve the image. As per a gaming console causing the so called "vision sensor" to burn out that makes absolutely no sense what so ever. A console acts like any other device you might decide to attach to an LCD TV. All it is doing is outputting a video signal at a specified frequency and resolution. That tech is full of it!

One other thing... LCDs are progressive by design. How is it possible that your buddy claims that his Samsung only displays a resolution of 1080i? Sounds strange of you ask me.

grey_1
01-03-07, 07:02 PM
Vision sensor? AFAIK vision sensors are mini cameras that are used for testing video equipment. It's possible that Samsung has some type of vision sensor installed in their LCD TVs that monitor and detect video noise or aliasing and then apply different levels of digital noise reduction or edge enhancements to help improve the image. As per a gaming console causing the so called "vision sensor" to burn out that makes absolutely no sense what so ever. A console acts like any other device you might decide to attach to an LCD TV. All it is doing is outputting a video signal at a specified frequency and resolution. That tech is full of it!

One other thing... LCDs are progressive by design. How is it possible that your buddy claims that his Samsung only displays a resolution of 1080i? Sounds strange of you ask me.
The thing sounded strange, which was why I was asking. I'm not up at all on the technology in tv's these days. he just knows I game alot so he asked my opinion. I think he's being given the runaround too, I just don't know enough to refute it.

I knew if I asked here I'd get a good answer. Thanks.

ad hoc
01-03-07, 07:24 PM
I just received a HLS-5688W yesterday (upgraded from an HLR-5067W), and yes, it has 1080p on all relevant inputs (HDMI, Component, VGA)... I'm still struggling tho on what input I want; VGA or component. VGA is nice because of upconverting DVDs, however, I think I like component for everything else (HD-DVD, games).

The LED sets are nice, however their contrast ratio isn't really all that great compared to UHP bulb units. As far as DLPs go, you should go check a local store to see if you experience the infamous "rainbow effect". If you see it on one DLP, most likely you'll see it on another (unless of course it is LED based).

If you are in the market for the xx88W models, you might want to look at the xx87W models as well (just as good, still have 10-bit processing, they just don't have cablecard and a few other minor features).

BTW, the Samsung DLP sets are some of the best in the market (IMHO).

ENU291
01-03-07, 07:29 PM
I just received a HLS-5688W yesterday (upgraded from an HLR-5067W), and yes, it has 1080p on all relevant inputs (HDMI, Component, VGA)... I'm still struggling tho on what input I want; VGA or component. VGA is nice because of upconverting DVDs, however, I think I like component for everything else (HD-DVD, games).

The LED sets are nice, however their contrast ratio isn't really all that great compared to UHP bulb units. As far as DLPs go, you should go check a local store to see if you experience the infamous "rainbow effect". If you see it on one DLP, most likely you'll see it on another (unless of course it is LED based).

If you are in the market for the xx88W models, you might want to look at the xx87W models as well (just as good, still have 10-bit processing, they just don't have cablecard and a few other minor features).

BTW, the Samsung DLP sets are some of the best in the market (IMHO).Congrats on the purchase ad hoc! :) Did you already try to connect your 360 to the Sammy using the VGA cable option? If so did you experience the "washed out" look that I did or was the image just as good as the results you get with the component cables?

ad hoc
01-03-07, 08:24 PM
Congrats on the purchase ad hoc! :) Did you already try to connect your 360 to the Sammy using the VGA cable option? If so did you experience the "washed out" look that I did or was the image just as good as the results you get with the component cables?

Thanks! I suppose I really didn't need it (cause I had the HLR5067 before), however I wanted to up the size a bit, and have the luxury of 1080p :captnkill:

I did try the both VGA and the component. The VGA has a *slight* color degredation (nothing that can't be optimized, though), but nothing near the horrendous results people have explained before on forums like www.avsforum.com. In fact, if I wasn't scrutinizing the output, I wouldn't really have noticed a difference.

I DID notice a slight "trapezoidal" effect to the picture with the VGA, similar to CRTs. This is where one side of the image is lower (or higher) with respect to the other. Not a big deal, but noticable.

Another thing with the VGA is that the ouptut is something like 95% of the screen (on my set, about 1inch black border on all sides), and in order to fill the screen you have to manually adust the position and size using a special button on the remote (dubbed p. size). This can be seen as a good thing sto some, because you don't get any overscan unless you manually set it up that way.

Mr. Hunt
01-03-07, 09:01 PM
Hey ad hoc... can you post any pictures of your set? I am thinking about getting the HL-S5087W (which is practically the same thing, but cheaper and a few features, like PIP, short from what I have read on AVS)...

Thanks.

ad hoc
01-03-07, 10:28 PM
Hey ad hoc... can you post any pictures of your set? I am thinking about getting the HL-S5087W (which is practically the same thing, but cheaper and a few features, like PIP, short from what I have read on AVS)...

Thanks.

Sure, I have a few pics. Let me know if you want something more detailed. The stand is the Samsung Stand for the HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W series... AFAIK, the 87 series has a SILVER bar under the Samsung name and where the buttons are. The 88 series (mine) has a glossy black metallic finish.

I'm also including a VGA vs. Component @ 1080p compare shot... The first compare shot is component, second VGA (also embedded in the names).

Also of note: I've noticed that the VGA seems to have "noisy" blacks (I have the MS VGA cable), whereas the component looks fine. This is noticable in dark scenes; dark backgrounds look grainy... For example, the opening title screen for Lego Starwars II, the starfield background looks much better with component than with VGA.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9961/hls5688w001smallsz4.th.jpg (http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hls5688w001smallsz4.jpg) http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/1445/hls5688w002smallnp8.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hls5688w002smallnp8.jpg) http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2044/hls5688wcompsmallyy8.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hls5688wcompsmallyy8.jpg) http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9858/hls5688wvgasmallpa8.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hls5688wvgasmallpa8.jpg)