PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX - Analogue or Digital Output?

NY355
01-03-07, 09:51 AM
Confused and seeking advice please.
I have an 8800 GTX card running in a high-spec system with a Samsung 215TW 21" LCD monitor. The monitor is connected with both DVI and VGA cables (the latter connected to the graphics card using an adaptor that came with the system). The monitor can toggle between Analogue/Digital displays (source button on the monitor panel) but I can only get a picture in Analogue mode? In fact, if I disconnect the DVI cable it makes no difference - hence my digital LCD is not receiving a digital signal from the 8800 card?

Furthermore, I do not get any picture at all during boot-up/POST, it's only when Windows loads that I get to see anything (thus preventing me from seeing BIOS/setup/roll-back options). NVidia Control Panel won't run at all - I assumed settings contained therein would allow me to make changes. Having read numerous threads I am picking up on ideas like BIOS flashing (sounds potentially fatal) but would have thought it must be something simple....

If there are any ideas I would be grateful - I have played around with drivers etc but as yet no luck (ASUS P5N32-E SLI Mainboard - nForce 680i with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme X6800 processor). Many thanks for reading.

RussianHAXOR
01-03-07, 10:35 AM
Have you tried disconnecting the VGA? and only keeping thee DVI?

Cyant
01-03-07, 10:37 AM
Is there a reason you need both input connected to your monitor? If not then just plug the digital output... If you want both input for a reason I dont get then you must enable dual monitor support in the control panel.

Furthermore if you want the BIOS screen to apear on the Digital connection then plug the digital cable in monitor port 1 and the analog in port 2. At the moment you have them reversed.

NY355
01-03-07, 10:55 AM
Chaps
Many thanks for quick response. If I unplug the VGA cable I don't get any picture at all, the reason for connecting both was simple - the monitor instructions seemed to imply both were needed. Having conducted a small experiment I realise that both DVI ports on the graphics card are pushing out an analogue signal, i.e. I could connect two monitors with VGA and each would show the same (and therefore swapping connections won't make any difference). At the moment I don't see how to get a signal via the actual DVI cable into the LCD monitor's Digital 'source' channel? I hope I am making this reasonably clear!
As ever, grateful for your comments.
Regards

Monolyth
01-03-07, 11:08 AM
Plug the DVI cable directly into one of the DVI port on the 8800GTX and onto the DVI port on your LCD.
The connectors should look like one of these on both your monitor and video card:
http://www.interfacebus.com/Style_of_DVI_Connectors.gif

If you are only connecting to one monitor you do not need to connect both connectors from the same video card. The extra connector (on your video card) is for a second monitor. Hope that helps.

Cyant
01-03-07, 12:16 PM
If you boot your PC with both cables the one that work by default is the Port 1 on the 8800GTX, the BIOS won't display on both as far as I know. (It did with my x800 and 7800GT tho.)

So if you boot with both connected and the Analog one is in the graphic card port number 1 then it's the one that will display. Even if you switch the cables.

Shut down the PC. Unplug the Analog cable. Plug the Digital cable in port 1 and it should work.

NY355
01-03-07, 03:11 PM
Plug the DVI cable directly into one of the DVI port on the 8800GTX and onto the DVI port on your LCD.
The connectors should look like one of these on both your monitor and video card:
http://www.interfacebus.com/Style_of_DVI_Connectors.gif

If you are only connecting to one monitor you do not need to connect both connectors from the same video card. The extra connector (on your video card) is for a second monitor. Hope that helps.

Thanks again chaps,

Having tried the 'DVI cable only' the result is still no picture? I have inspected the ports using the image kindly supplied by Monolyth (useful, thanks). My monitor has a female DVI-D port (Dual Link), my graphics card has two female DVI-I ports (Dual Link obviously) and the cable supplied by Samsung with the monitor is male-male DVI-D Single Link - would this make a difference? I would still expect to see something surely. I can't understand why I can only get an analogue signal via my VGA cable rendering the DVI cable redundant? Not to mention the blank screen until Windows loads??

Your thoughts, as ever, appreciated.
Regards

hokeyplyr48
01-03-07, 11:12 PM
Most monitors are going to have a port that looks like a DVI-D port, but wat you can't see is that not all the holes have actual connectors in them. So your single link cable should be just fine. do you by chance have onboard video on y our motherboard? maybe it's not even using the 8800 for graphics.

NY355
01-04-07, 03:18 AM
Most monitors are going to have a port that looks like a DVI-D port, but wat you can't see is that not all the holes have actual connectors in them. So your single link cable should be just fine. do you by chance have onboard video on y our motherboard? maybe it's not even using the 8800 for graphics.

I'm not sure about the onboard video - are you suggesting that everything I see is coming direct from the Motherboard without using the 8800 GTX graphics card? I'm intrigued by the idea but confess I don't fully understand how it could be so?

If it were the case how might I change it?

My motherboard is ASUS P5N32-E SLI Mainboard - nForce 680i.

Many thanks.

hokeyplyr48
01-04-07, 02:18 PM
well looking online, it doesn't seem that your motherboard has onboard video. so the video should naturally be coming out of the 8800. It could be possible that your not putting ur card in the right PCI-E slot. it should go in the 1st slot, one closest to the CPU

Digital_Trans
01-04-07, 02:44 PM
It's a very simple process. Dual link DVI offers A 24-pin support layout on the
graphics card and also the monitor. Connect your 24-pin dual link DVI cable to the graphics card and then the other to the monitor! :D
But then again your setup will always depend on what hardware your currently using.

Ancient
01-04-07, 06:22 PM
I was having a similar problem getting a signal from the DVI port on my 6800gt to work on my HD set. I tested it with an 8800GTS and it worked just fine, so I knew it wasn't the cable or anything like that, but I was tearing my hair out trying to understand why the 6800 wouldn't work. I tried different drivers, all sorts of resolutions, nothing but a blank screen. Finally I took a look at the back of the computer and noticed that that ports were a bit ****eyed. The top of the DVI port was almost flush with the top of the slot opening in the back of the case. I cracked the case open, loosened the screw holding down the 6800, and adjusted the position. Booted up and it worked like a charm after that. Apparently the DVI connector could not be firmly seated in the DVI port and so no signal was being output. Adjusting the card fixed it.

That may or may not be your problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

NY355
01-05-07, 02:36 AM
Many thanks for the benefit of your experience. I will check this just in case.
Regards

IBN
01-25-07, 07:25 PM
Hi there,

Any update on the situation? I am having the exact same problem with my 7900GS card. I have been running around the net for a solution and ended up here. Did you get your monitor working fully with dvi?

IBN
02-05-07, 08:53 AM
OK this is what i did. Contacted XFX, they told me to RMA card back to the retailer.

I ordered another XFX 7900GS card and it worked fine. The problem was the card. If you have the same probelem RMA the card and get another one.

END OF STORY.

zimzoid
02-05-07, 04:10 PM
same problem here on my 8800gtx/viewsonic 2025 20.1 lcd,no digital output only analogue,