PDA

View Full Version : Need 26-32 LCD with HDMI

Starbuck
01-03-07, 11:39 AM
I am looking for a new LCD monitor for both HDTV and gaming. It will be in my media room so the wife will want to use it to watch TV. It seems like what I have seen on the market is either more inclined to be a TV or a monitor, not both. Can you recommend a model:

Criteria:

Mandatory
1) 26-32 inch (widescreen)
2) Less than $1000
3) HDMI, Component, DVI, and VGA inputs
4) Gaming response rate for PC, XB360, etc.

Optional
1) HDTV tuner built in
2) 720P or 1080i/1080p (don't really care which one)
3) Picture scaling
4) Upconversion

Dudes__Geof_
01-03-07, 11:58 AM
I have a friend that, for Christmas, got an Envision 27" LW27461 Widescreen LCD TV.

It has recieved exceptional reviews. It seems to have HDMI, Component, DVI, and VGA inputs, reviews say it's really good for gaming as well.. It costed $600 CAD. It has upconversion, it's HDTV compatible, it has 480p, 480i, 720p, and 1080i, and I'm not sure about picture scaling.

There is also a 32" model for $800 CAD at the same place he bought his.

Bman212121
01-03-07, 11:12 PM
I am looking for a new LCD monitor for both HDTV and gaming. It will be in my media room so the wife will want to use it to watch TV. It seems like what I have seen on the market is either more inclined to be a TV or a monitor, not both. Can you recommend a model:

Criteria:

Mandatory
1) 26-32 inch (widescreen)
2) Less than $1000
3) HDMI, Component, DVI, and VGA inputs
4) Gaming response rate for PC, XB360, etc.

Optional
1) HDTV tuner built in
2) 720P or 1080i/1080p (don't really care which one)
3) Picture scaling
4) Upconversion

I would look hard at the 32" Westinghouse. We bought one for christmas, and it is a very nice monitor. It can do 720p, has and HDTV tuner built in, and has pretty good specs. I tried both a Toshiba and that Westy and the Westy was far better as soon as you hooked up a computer to it. It handled the VGA and HDMI very well, and I could get it to work decent with little or no overscan. What I think really helps it out is that it is using an ATI chip to control the inputs. I was really impressed by the clarity over vga versus the toshiba. I'm sure you could use it as a regular monitor if you really wanted to.

The tuner works really well also. I was able to pick up all kinds of digital and HD channels, as well as all of the regular analog stations. It did a pretty good job of deinterlacing the pictures.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=52

Arioch
01-04-07, 12:59 AM
Westinghouse has the best bang for the buck IMHO - I would check out their 27" or 32" models.

sirplayalot
01-04-07, 01:27 AM
You can find the 37" 1080p Westy for under 1k these days! Try the 32" though if you cant.

Starbuck
01-04-07, 12:06 PM
Thank's everyone for your responses. Quick follow up question, the West does not have a DVI in ( I belive). Generally, is that a disadvantage when running a signal from a PC? If so, do you use a DVI-HDMI adaptor?

Lazaredz
01-04-07, 12:08 PM
I was about to put up a simular request for info:

Okay, so my 2005FPW from Dell isn't going to cut it here.

A: it has limited inputs (no componant at all)
B: it doesn't have enough resolution to run HD TV

So I was thinking of perhaps a 2407 from Dell when the 2707 comes out. With that I should be able to hook up the Wii, PC and HD TV signals to their own inputs and and audio into X-FI. Doing so would also relieve my need for a PC Tuner card.

Does anyone have other suggestions? I'm looking at the 23-27" zone at less than $1000. Having multiple DVI/companant inputs is a plus.

Thx

I had never heard of Westinghouse before though. How is their quality/service?

saturnotaku
01-04-07, 12:09 PM
Thank's everyone for your responses. Quick follow up question, the West does not have a DVI in ( I belive). Generally, is that a disadvantage when running a signal from a PC? If so, do you use a DVI-HDMI adaptor?

You can use a VGA KVM switch to go between your PC and Xbox 360. It's an effective and inexpensive solution.

Bman212121
01-04-07, 12:20 PM

Actually, the reason why I think a lot of makers are using HDMI's instead of DVI is because it can also carry audio. For something like a PS3, you only need 1 cable to everything to work.

There isn't really any difference to a computer between running the HDMI or DVI, as long as both are HDCP compliant. What I use is a HDMI / DVI cable to hook up the pc, and it works great. You could also use the adapter and there really wouldn't be any loss of quality since it is all digital anyway. So I would say there isn't any disadvantage to using HDMI versus using DVI.

I would hook up the xbox 360 over vga, and the pc's dvi to the hdmi input.

Starbuck
01-04-07, 12:25 PM
OK, the Westy looks like a winner. I've found two models:

LTV-32W6

And

LTV-32W3

Which one? should I look for one in particular? Can't exaclty figure out the difference on Westy's website. Thanks.

saturnotaku
01-04-07, 12:56 PM
If there are no differences in the specs, they might be models built for specific retailers. It's a loophole they can use to get away with not honoring price-match guarantees. For example, if Best Buy stocks the W3 and sells it for $1000 and Circuit City stocks the W6 and sells it for $950, Best Buy wouldn't price match because they're not identical models.