PDA

View Full Version : dumb lcd question

j0j081
01-03-07, 04:43 PM
When I first started using my new lcd (never had one before) I didn't bother installing the driver and accidentally ran a few resolutions it doesn't support. Surprisingly it worked so what did it do squash the image down to fit on the screen? Is this bad for the lcd or is it something they all do?

darkrider01
01-03-07, 05:01 PM
I know from my previous Samsung (712N) that it would take resolutions it didn't support either. I could output 1600x1200 to it, but the text would look bad because of the scaling down to 1280x1024. I believe Samsung calls it Magi-tune or something.

The answer to your question is yes. Your monitor was scaling the resolution to fit your screen. It isn't bad for the screen in the Samsung's case because of the Magi-Tune feature.

No, all LCD's do not have the ability to scale down resolutions that are too high.

j0j081
01-04-07, 06:37 AM
oh okay that makes sense. so would it be okay to run things like 3dmark06 at my old crts resolution just so I can compare the results accurately? I'm guessing if you try to run a resolution it can't scale down it would not display and give you some kind of error message right?