PDA

View Full Version : LG to announce dual-format BD/HD DVD player

Pages : [1] 2

superklye
01-03-07, 10:53 PM
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/003408.html

Looks like the war may be over...though I swear Sony expressly forbade something like this a while back.

Ah well, I'm glad someone is finally saying "Screw it" and bringing the two formats together. Let's just hope it's priced competitively ($500 or less) and has excellent PQ.

Q
01-03-07, 10:59 PM
I see this as bad news, ESPECIALLY if its competitively priced and has good PQ.

One of these formats need to just die. Betamax died, but if we had a good and cheap multiformat player back in the day there would have never been a winner and you'd still be seeing movies released in Betamax today. (Limited, like VHS, of course...but they'd still be around).

superklye
01-03-07, 11:08 PM
Why is that bad news? Consumers can only win with this. Then it's just up to the studios to squabble amongst themselves letting whichever format die that way rather than reliving the Betamax/VHS catastrophe all over again.

I'm all for this, though I likely won't buy one unless:
a) very good price and the PQ/AQ is as good or better than the Toshiba HD-A2/XA2
b) Fox starts putting out the Aliens/Predator movies (along with some of their TV shows like Rescue Me, The Shield, 24 and Firefly) in HD on BD only...but even still...the PQ/AQ would have to be absolutely stunning on this LG for me to invest right away.

stevemedes
01-03-07, 11:11 PM
i'd buy whichever format has the halloween movies by moustapha akkad.

Q
01-03-07, 11:11 PM
Why is that bad news? Consumers can only win with this. Then it's just up to the studios to squabble amongst themselves letting whichever format die that way rather than reliving the Betamax/VHS catastrophe all over again.

a) very good price and the PQ/AQ is as good or better than the Toshiba HD-A2/XA2
b) Fox starts putting out the Aliens/Predator movies (along with some of their TV shows like Rescue Me, The Shield, 24 and Firefly) in HD on BD only...but even still...the PQ/AQ would have to be absolutely stunning on this LG for me to invest right away.

I want Blu-Ray to die. This will let it live. It's my personal grudge...that is all. :D

superklye
01-03-07, 11:22 PM
OH...ahhahahaha...yeah, I want BD to die also, but Sony first. ;)

evilchris
01-03-07, 11:47 PM
Betamax tapes are still for sale at Fry's.

This player is a good thing by the way. It will enable consumers to decide, not the CE's.

Xion X2
01-03-07, 11:50 PM
Why is everyone so against Bluray? Is it just because of some grudge against Sony? If so I think that's kind of stupid.

Isn't Bluray better quality overall due to the extra space on-disc?

superklye
01-04-07, 12:40 AM
Why is everyone so against Bluray? Is it just because of some grudge against Sony? If so I think that's kind of stupid.
Why is it any more "stupid" than boycotting anything else out there? I don't agree with Sony and the choices the make (for us) along with their overwhelming tendency to try and force their own standards instead of going with the industry and what consumers want/use.

They don't deserve to be in business if their goals are to force us into using their proprietary sh!t and I for one will not give them, Blu-Ray or any of Sony's/BD's supporters any money as far as I can help it.

Sony needs to learn who drives the market and who keeps who in business.

No.

stevemedes
01-04-07, 01:15 AM
im so glad that this doesnt effect me and i dont have to get all wrapped up in the debate. i have no HDTV, and i dont even watch alot of movies! :)

Games FTW

Xion X2
01-04-07, 01:17 AM
Who's forcing who, though? All they're doing is putting a f*cking format out there to give you to choose from, right? This isn't communism.

How are they any more to fault than Toshiba for putting HD-DVD's out there? Hell, I love them both since they've dropped the price of regular DVD's down for me.

I have nothing against Sony, to be honest. They've done a lot for the electronics industry. Their televisions from the 80's and 90's were the best bar-none; they would last for twenty to twenty-five years while others would blink out in half that time. And with the advent of the Playstation they were mostly responsible for helping the videogame industry progress from 2d to the 3d realm (I say "mostly" because there were a handful of titles on the Panasonic 3D0 that were actually "3d" although they played at very poor framerates.)

RussianHAXOR
01-04-07, 01:19 AM
I'm turning my PC into multimedia....

Games
Movies
Tv...

THE WHOLE SHEBANG.

evilchris
01-04-07, 01:25 AM

No. The space provides no advantage whatsoever. There is more to movie playback than gigabytes.

Rakeesh
01-04-07, 01:44 AM
No. The space provides no advantage whatsoever.

Sure it does, it gives you room to encode at a higher bitrate. This allows you to remove some serious aliasing caused by scenes that have a lot of motion, especially in longer movies, darker movies, or movies that have lots of additional content.

RussianHAXOR
01-04-07, 01:54 AM
Dualformat is ALWAYS good, means you dont ahve to suffer.

Muppet
01-04-07, 04:30 AM
Sure it does, it gives you room to encode at a higher bitrate. This allows you to remove some serious aliasing caused by scenes that have a lot of motion, especially in longer movies, darker movies, or movies that have lots of additional content.
Not if Sony continues to encode the movies in Mpeg2 form. That takes up a lot more space than VC1 does.

saturnotaku
01-04-07, 06:06 AM
Who's forcing who, though? All they're doing is putting a f*cking format out there to give you to choose from, right? This isn't communism.

The only "choice" is to buy the movie or not if it's only offered in one format. It would be a far different story if all movies were available for both. Sony has always been a format Nazi (Betamax, MiniDisc, Memory Stick) and the company continues not to learn from those mistakes.

superklye
01-04-07, 08:42 AM
SO WHY IS IT A BIG DEAL THAT I'VE CHOSEN HD DVD AND CHOSEN TO BOYCOTT SONY?

Jesus. Go buy BD. I don't care. I'm not going to and if you don't like it: tough ****.

How are they any more to fault than Toshiba for putting HD-DVD's out there? Hell, I love them both since they've dropped the price of regular DVD's down for me.
Because, last time I checked, no one is trying to force HD DVD down our throats. You don't HAVE to buy the 360 HD DVD drive. When you get your 360, in no way, shape or form are you forced to supporting ANY of the next gen format.

I have nothing against Sony, to be honest.
Great. I do. I don't like being told or forced (tried to at least) into a specific format that only one company controls/supports. I also don't like them including rootkits on CDs I listen to, without telling me, and then blowing it off like it was absolutely nothing when their sneaky asses got caught.

nekrosoft13
01-04-07, 08:46 AM

this is very bad, what if sony keeps filling movie studio pockets and blu-ray gets more popular, with lack of blu-ray standards and usually lower inferior pq compared to HD-DVD. this could be very bad move.

currently HD-DVD has the upper hand, lets keep it that way.

superklye
01-04-07, 09:23 AM
I think it's great because it lets consumers be the ones that choose who wins this war, not the companies. If this thing is a massive success, it'll be up to the studios to fight it out, not us, because no matter which side wins: we'll be able to play it without having to buy a new deck.

And one can only hope that should BD win *shudder* companies like Universal (which has set the bar for a movie-watching experience as far as I'm concerned) will raise the bar on BD features thus forcing other companies to get their dicks out of their hands and start putting out quality releases.

Xion X2
01-04-07, 12:18 PM
SO WHY IS IT A BIG DEAL THAT I'VE CHOSEN HD DVD AND CHOSEN TO BOYCOTT SONY?

Jesus. Go buy BD. I don't care. I'm not going to and if you don't like it: tough ****.

"Jesus," yourself. What is it that time of the month?

I was just asking why you have such a f*cking beef with Sony. Honestly, it's like they hid in the bushes as you walked home from school and kicked your ass every day as you were trotting home from 5th grade, or something.

Because, last time I checked, no one is trying to force HD DVD down our throats.

Toshiba isn't into videogames. Don't you think that if they had their own section of the console market that they would implement their new technology? Of course they would. It's nothing more than common sense and common business practice.

If a company had their own section of the console market, and were in turn developing a new format, they would have to be downright idiots not to try and implement it into their new videogame machine to help the transition process a little.

You don't HAVE to buy the 360 HD DVD drive. When you get your 360, in no way, shape or form are you forced to supporting ANY of the next gen format.

Toshiba didn't market the Xbox360 like Sony did the PS3, Microsoft did. In no way are your two examples even remotely analogous here. One owns the console and the rights to a certain format, the other doesn't.

superklye
01-04-07, 12:56 PM
"Jesus," yourself. What is it that time of the month?

I was just asking why you have such a f*cking beef with Sony. Honestly, it's like they hid in the bushes as you walked home from school and kicked your ass every day as you were trotting home from 5th grade, or something.
No, they put out par-to-subpar products in most of their divisions, charge ridiculous amounts of money for their name, try to impose their proprietary formats once every couple of years (and always fail miserably) and tend to treat their customers are ****ing idiots.

Sorry I can't support that. :rolleyes2

Toshiba isn't into videogames. Don't you think that if they had their own section of the console market that they would implement their new technology? Of course they would. It's nothing more than common sense and common business practice.
Then why didn't MS back one right away?

If a company had their own section of the console market, and were in turn developing a new format, they would have to be downright idiots not to try and implement it into their new videogame machine to help the transition process a little.
Again, I ask you: why didn't MS back one right away? This was THEIR opportunity to stick it to "the other format" and get the format they decided to back (it doesn't matter who develops it...MS is backing HD DVD) into the homes of millions of Americans everywhere.

Toshiba didn't market the Xbox360 like Sony did the PS3, Microsoft did. In no way are your two examples even remotely analogous here. One owns the console and the rights to a certain format, the other doesn't.
I don't even get what the hell you're talking about here. Sony DOESN'T own the rights to BD. They're part of the BDA and end up being (as usual) the most outspoken advocate for invading our living rooms with their technology.

Dazz
01-04-07, 05:31 PM
Hmm thought the LG dual disc drive died as it was very complex to switch from the two laser formats. I guess they must of found a way round that.

superklye
01-04-07, 05:35 PM
Hmm thought the LG dual disc drive died as it was very complex to switch from the two laser formats. I guess they must of found a way round that.
Well, the formats use the same blue laser...it's the lenses that focus the beam that are different. BD has a tighter-focusing lens which allows for it to have the greater storage capacity it does.

Redshirt #24
01-04-07, 06:13 PM
Just patiently waiting on Sony to go "Oh, heeeeell no!" and somehow kill this...